Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default Coyote Carcasses in Bait Pile

I've had a bait pile for over a month now and the yotes have regularly visited the meatcicles that I made from the fat and bones off the deer that I shot last Fall. The bait pile was almost gone so about a week ago I made a meatcicle from coyote carcasses. Since putting it out I haven't had one coyote come into it.

When I added the meatcicle I set up 10 snares so I did disturb the area a bit when I was out there. Any disturbance was inside of a 6 acre patch of bush and the yotes haven't had any desire to even enter it. Another factour is that placing my yote meatcicle and setting my snares also coincided with the snow freezing and forming a crust that will support a yote.

I'm just wondering if there might be one factour that caused the yotes to not seem to have much interest in my yote-cicles. Maybe they don't like the smell of dead yotes, I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Default Yotes for bait

I use yotes for bait and have never had an issue. One thing I have noticed is that is sure pi**es off the wolves. Once the wolves sniff out that bait, they mark it everywhere and then the yotes are nowhere to be found. One bait was producing nicely until the resident wolf pack crapped everywhere. I have only seen one yote track in a month there now. Although I have caught a Wolf at that stsation...and a Fisher. Long and short, yotes have worked fine as bait for me.

Spruce.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM

I have tossed carcasses ten yards off the main bait station and have the yotes stay clear of them. The come around still a bit because of the birds and don't leave the area but they do not feed on them or get them right in either. Tracks in the bush are not a huge issue. Do not step or walk the trail that you set the snares on though. They do not follow in your footsteps very often I find. I always try and awl the same footprints while checking and setting snares as much as possible. Best results are after a skiff of snow to cover things up I find.
You need to keep constantly feeding them. I would have about 4 or 5 deer carcasses last about a week is all. Set snares at the same time the bait goes out. Put it in the thick bush and set 12-15 snares within 40 yards of it on every trail or spot you think a tote will walk and add as you see tracks. They like to follow other tote tracks
Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 PM

I have yet to see a Yote eat a yote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Thanks for the advice fellas. When I put out the deer-cicles the yotes were onto them right away so I'll give it a couple of days and if there's still nothing I'll haul it out of there. I have 3 rabbits and about 5 or 10 lbs of waste trim/fat from butchering my deer that I can use to make another small meatcicle.

Gonna have to get a freezer and throw a few roadkill into it next Fall.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I have yet to see a Yote eat a yote
X2.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM

I have never had a yote eat another yote, either.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Banned

Well, another lesson learned I guess. A couple of weeks ago I remember reading a thread mentioning yotes eating dead, snared yotes. Maybe the fella had a lynx on his line? I'm going to make a new meatcicle tonight and swap them tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Dave, the only thing I've ever seen eat coyotes around here is magpies and ravens.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 PM

Default Yoties

Wolves eat my Yotes every year. I also have Yotes eating Yotes belly In the south every year when they are starved. I get to a carcas and they go for the middle and find the stomac Constance eat that and lungs liver and heart.and leave. I have accually sent in a few Yotes after the others had ther way with them and have never even had a damaged grade on them, and I hate sewing. I also have sent in allot that do have damage grade not all the Yotes falt allot of the fur handler I would like to give the bill to that guy but I will never give his name up. Nube strong work on the Yoties allot of work to put them up I see the picks and I will put some up soon. After last year I don't like posting picks allot but after the nice comments you received mabe we have a new crowd. no spell check here strait trapper.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM

I know a guy that baits with yotes for yotes and it works for him but I haven't tried it. He actually had yotes eat one of his yotes that was in a snare.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 PM

I should of had a coyote that come into the coyote carcasses yesterday. They don't make good enough bait to get many to come though snares but coyotes will definitely eat other coyotes. Especially if it's a mangy weak coyote that has to scavenge to live.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Lost 2 coyotes and 1 fox last year and 1 coyote this year all in snares and all eaten by coyotes, threw them by the bait and kept on catching them!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Lost 2 coyotes and 1 fox last year and 1 coyote this year all in snares all eaten by coyotes, threw them a ways from the bait and kept on catching them!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM

I've had coyotes eating other coyotes in my snares but I'm sure they were mangy ones looking for an easy meal.

Some guys say that putting coyote carcasses with their bait piles doesn't bother the other yotes and they still keep coming in. I have the exact opposite and it doesn't matter which bait pile it is. As soon as I put yotes on the pile, other coyotes do not come back. Happens every time. I never put my carcasses on bait piles anymore.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Before my Dad passed, a couple years ago he shot a coyote near his bales. the next day as he was feeding cows, Coyote #2 was eating it, he shot him. the next day or so coyote #3 was eating on either #1 or2 and he shot him.

i cant recall if Coyote #4 come in but i do recall seeing the carcasses laying out there.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

I'm thinking that the yotes around here are too well fed. I'm sure that if they were hungry enough they'd be hitting that yote-cicle. I'll change it up.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 AM

I shot a nice dog at a farmers where I was working , it was just before dark. Me and him went out with the tractor in the deep snow we went back and forth but couldn't find him in the dark. No Biggy I said I'll find him in the am since its -20. Well next morning went back and there was another dog eating this one, I shot him but he had pretty wl destroyed the one from the night before. I thought it was very strange, it was before the warm weather and the snow was soft and easily over 2' so he may have been starving.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM

Default coyote carassea in bait

Saw a mangy yote eating a road killed yote on the highway the other day. Do what you have to if you want to survive I guess.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Caught 2 fox today. The one fox had yote tracks all around it and was not eaten. The ravens picked at it a bit but the yotes stayed away fro eating and instead did a dance around it looking at al the tracks
Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 PM

A few years back when I was trapping back east the fox population was real high and just about every trapper was complaining about their foxes getting eaten by other foxes I know I caught 2 when I used one half eaten one for bait so I don't see why a coyote wouldn't eat another one
Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Well fed coyotes do not scavenge on their own kind vey often. Protein depraved coyotes will eat their own kind. I also believe that once they start scavenging on their own kind that they will continue for some time, usually a few snares will put an end to it.

The most coyotes I have ever had eaten on a stop was 5, all due to coyotes, yes the place got a bunch of carcasses. Once I killed the scavenging bunch the scavenging stopped. Coyote scavenged, look at the ribs, some or all chewed right off. Lions will come and eat your coyotes too, but they don't leave as much behind. Once a lion came in and ate four coyotes on me, the difference seeing the lion scavenged vs the coyote scavenged was that the cat chewed the coyote's body off right at the snare, just left the head and part of a neck, and everything from the snare down gone.

Sometimes I have thrown a dozen carcasses down one week and they are gone the next. This is not the norm. What was it, 5 years ago that we had our first bad winter, of 2008-09, prior to that winter very little scavenging, none to speak of for years, since that winter, it has happened to me regular. They want to eat carcasses, they get to eat carcasses, just not ones with the fur.

If food supplies are very abundant, they will generally not eat their own kind (unless one has a belly full of goodies and is laying dead in a snare). If food is scarce and especially if the winter is tough on top of that, scavenging can be quite common.