Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 PM

Default Hit the jackpot today

So I had a guy stop me the other day while I was coming out of the bush with a couple yotes and he wanted me to show him how to snare them. He had a few baits out and was trying to shoot them so I went with him and showed him how to set snares. With the snow there was not much movement but today we went and checked them. By the time we were done checking mine and the ones on his place we had 9 coyotes!!!! On the way home I also had a friend of mine tell me to come pick one up 5 min from my house cause he shot one this morning. 10 yotes to skin in the next couple days!!!! Yikes
Anyone want to help? They sure move good after a fresh snow

I also have noticed that when your tracks are covered with a fresh skiff of snow the coyotes move a bit better around the baits and commit better through the snares it seems. I will try and get a picture in a bit of my yote pile
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Banned

Awesome Nube! Hard work pays.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Banned

congrats on a great day. i was told that coyotes are starting there rut (breeding season?). do they get "dumber" during this time like deer do?
do you keep track of male vs. female ratio? be interesting to know what the ratio is on the ones you got today.

Last edited by waterninja; 02-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Default yote's

Nice Nube,your putting up good numbers,nabbed 2 today,should of been three,first one i came too had a live one and as i was about to raise up and put it down,boom snare broke and he gone and snare was wrapped up in some much stuff,couldn't understand how it was still alive to start with,so next 2 were down and out,last three on feedlot were mangy
Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

I had 1 rubbed bad today and 2 others that were rubbed a bit. I think I will quit here in the next couple days in my one spot and maybe a week in the others at most. No use killing them if their fur isn't that great. On the positive though I got a few absolutely awesome ones as well with long hair and pale in colour.

What did you use for Snares PCP?

I had one snare today I couldn't figure out. It was pulled as tight as it could get without anything in it. I had one in it for a while as it was torn up. I think maybe a toe caught in there and pulled it tight to about a half inch loop lol
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
congrats on a great day. i was told that coyotes are starting there rut (breeding season?). do they get "dumber" during this time like deer do?
do you keep track of male vs. female ratio? be interesting to know what the ratio is on the ones you got today.
I am finding now with the breeding they are rubbing a bit on some of them. I also find that when you hook up around a bait now you nab 2-4 at a time it seems. They are travelling in groups or pairs now. I also find the females look way nicer with the fur and notice more males caught than females for some reason
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

could be camera angle but the one in bottom right corner looks like the biggest and bushiest. you got some work ahead of you. hope you have enough boards.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Woo, hoo! Nice work.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Wish we had a good coyote population up here!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM

Boy those are nice looking yotes!
Don't know much about fur prices but should look great when you are done.
Thanks for sharing Nube.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM

id be intersted in seeing how you set the snares and bait??
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Mark, I will trade you a few martens down here for a few coyotes up there? We could start the swap program lol 2 yotes for a lynx?

Duke , it actually is pretty easy. I have learned a ton this year. Basics are you need a big pile of bait. A little won't work. Big bones and carcasses work best as the birds clean up small chunks easily. You need a lot of birds around to attract them. I put out a little skunk essence every week or 2 as well.

Snares set with a 12" loop 10 inches off the ground. Wammys are a must have to make it quick and easy to set . I set all trails and spots within 40 yards where I figure a yote will go and then watch the tracks to see where I miss. Put bait in thick areas. it makes it easier to figure out travel routes. I use #11 wire for support wire for snares. I used to use old coat hangers till I ran out. They are a bit weak but work. Most spots will have 12-15 snares. The more the better and put them out when you first bait. No need to wait till the eat all your bait to catch them. I also find my good spots are near lakes or streams. They like those or slough bottoms. Make sure you are far enough away from houses that have dogs. I was lucky this year and caught one. It was smart and thought he was on a leash. He was 500 yards from the house and I thought I was good. Scared me to death!. Also there are more yotes than you think. I basically catch them all in 3 spots. One spot has produced close to 35 now. I have about 3 baits in that one spot but I call it one spot. Nothing wrong wit setting up a couple small baits within a few hundred yards of each other.

Main thing I learned is try not to put a lot of tracks around. I walk close to my snares to check but do not disturb the trails where the yotes will walk if I have to. I step over them. I also try and follow my same boot prints if I can to check. I find a fresh skiff of snow helps a ton to teach you where snares will need to be placed and to cover your mess up.
Not sure what else to say. I have people ask me to come and see what I do but there is really nothing to see. You just need to go do it and learn as you go. Look for crossings as well. I got quite a few in spots where I think they cross not even close to a bait.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM

Nube, how far away from the bait pile do you put most of your snares ? I think maybe mine are too close , within 10 feet .
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 PM

I have had them within 10 feet but I find the ravens knock them over if too close and it kinda spooks the yotes a bit if one gets caught close to the feed. But on the other hand if say you catch one 10 to 20 yards from the bait it seems to attract more around for some reason and they stick around the area if one is there and they feel they can feed unmolested. I had one catch this year that was about 15 yards from the bait and within a 8 yard area I had 4 of them and another one about 10 yards past that. It was a real eyeopener for me.

The best I find is that I have them 10 to 40 or even 50 yards off. I even had one bait pile in the bushes and then across a wide open field 200 yards away I could see spots in the fence where they would go under and I nailed a few along the fence line. I find the corners of fence lines are good spots.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM

Default hit the jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Mark, I will trade you a few martens down here for a few coyotes up there? We could start the swap program lol 2 yotes for a lynx?

Duke , it actually is pretty easy. I have learned a ton this year. Basics are you need a big pile of bait. A little won't work. Big bones and carcasses work best as the birds clean up small chunks easily. You need a lot of birds around to attract them. I put out a little skunk essence every week or 2 as well.

Snares set with a 12" loop 10 inches off the ground. Wammys are a must have to make it quick and easy to set . I set all trails and spots within 40 yards where I figure a yote will go and then watch the tracks to see where I miss. Put bait in thick areas. it makes it easier to figure out travel routes. I use #11 wire for support wire for snares. I used to use old coat hangers till I ran out. They are a bit weak but work. Most spots will have 12-15 snares. The more the better and put them out when you first bait. No need to wait till the eat all your bait to catch them. I also find my good spots are near lakes or streams. They like those or slough bottoms. Make sure you are far enough away from houses that have dogs. I was lucky this year and caught one. It was smart and thought he was on a leash. He was 500 yards from the house and I thought I was good. Scared me to death!. Also there are more yotes than you think. I basically catch them all in 3 spots. One spot has produced close to 35 now. I have about 3 baits in that one spot but I call it one spot. Nothing wrong wit setting up a couple small baits within a few hundred yards of each other.

Main thing I learned is try not to put a lot of tracks around. I walk close to my snares to check but do not disturb the trails where the yotes will walk if I have to. I step over them. I also try and follow my same boot prints if I can to check. I find a fresh skiff of snow helps a ton to teach you where snares will need to be placed and to cover your mess up.
Not sure what else to say. I have people ask me to come and see what I do but there is really nothing to see. You just need to go do it and learn as you go. Look for crossings as well. I got quite a few in spots where I think they cross not even close to a bait.
That is excellent advise Nube! I am doing pretty much the same thing. I seem to catch most of my coyotes in the snares furthest from the bait. I think as they get closer to it, they are more nervous, and will stand in one spot for a longer time studying the situation. I like to have them anywhere from 50 to 100 yards away. 15 to 20 snares is what I usually put out at a baitsite. Also I like to chop up my bait so that it is too big for the birds to pack away, but easy for a yote to grab a piece and go. They will usually take their piece away from the pile to eat it I think. The more trips they make in and out of your baitsite, the better. Congrats to you on a great season. Well done! Have a great long weekend. P.S. Craziest catch of the season was a raven that I caught around the neck in a snare that was probably 75 yards away from the bait. WTF.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 02-14-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Extra info.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 PM

HAHA I got one as well. It was next to the bait and I learned early on that close is not the best spot for snares

The next craziest was a coyote I got by 3 toes in a snare. I can't believe I got him really. What a mess he made digging up the countryside lol
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Default hit the jackpot

No fur damage there. Guess it just wasn't his day. Good thing you got him, cause the other yotes would have teased him bad for getting caught like that.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I have had them within 10 feet but I find the ravens knock them over if too close and it kinda spooks the yotes a bit if one gets caught close to the feed. But on the other hand if say you catch one 10 to 20 yards from the bait it seems to attract more around for some reason and they stick around the area if one is there and they feel they can feed unmolested. I had one catch this year that was about 15 yards from the bait and within a 8 yard area I had 4 of them and another one about 10 yards past that. It was a real eyeopener for me.

The best I find is that I have them 10 to 40 or even 50 yards off. I even had one bait pile in the bushes and then across a wide open field 200 yards away I could see spots in the fence where they would go under and I nailed a few along the fence line. I find the corners of fence lines are good spots.
Thanx for the help .. Now I know mine are too close .
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
You've got some fine Coyote fur here Sir! Very nice.