Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default another pelt question

so i have a coyote boarded and dried (i think). i was going to hang this one in the man den but the skin feels greasy and is a little smelly. the smell doesen't bother me but she who must be obeyed says no way am i hanging this in the house if it is going to smell.
will the smell go away in time when it really dries? is there a way to treat it so it has no odour? should i have treated it somehow before boarding? i really like this big boy and want to keep it (esp. since it was first i boarded).
thanks.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Default if you haven't already

Skins should be treated with powdered borax after fleshing. by the sounds of it perhaps the fleshing was not completely done?. rub sawdust on skin to absorb as much oil as possible but if you skipped the fleshing or did it poorly it will grease burn the fur side regardless.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
so i have a coyote boarded and dried (i think). i was going to hang this one in the man den but the skin feels greasy and is a little smelly. the smell doesen't bother me but she who must be obeyed says no way am i hanging this in the house if it is going to smell.
will the smell go away in time when it really dries? is there a way to treat it so it has no odour? should i have treated it somehow before boarding? i really like this big boy and want to keep it (esp. since it was first i boarded).
thanks.
I would get it tanned first. Then it's nice soft leather with no smell. Just dried, I wouldn't want it inside either.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

Default darn

darn darn and damn. oh well live and learn. i'll know better next time. now i have to try and get one just as big or bigger with such a nice coat and try again.
any fur buyers out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coy3.jpg (30.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 PM

That is a nice yote. You stretched it in a shape that is not the best for selling. Not sure what you used but it looks like 2 sticks nailed together and just pulled out at the bottom making the hide shape triangular. Also if you are going to hang it in the house you have to get it tanned. If you don't the bugs will eat the skin and it will stink even if fleshed right.

Not sure if you can see the pics that great but this might show you the shape a bit better. I usually stretch mine too wide I learned this year and I just started to slim them down on the board now. From what I have been told long and narrow is the way to go.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
darn darn and damn. oh well live and learn. i'll know better next time. now i have to try and get one just as big or bigger with such a nice coat and try again.
any fur buyers out there?
So just tan it yourself.
As a wall hanger, it doesn't need to be worked to apparel-softness.
And the stretched shape has no bearing on the finished fur.

I'm sure some of these home-tanned beaver are 20 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tanned_fur.jpg (36.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 PM

I have a fox that's been hanging on my wall for over 20 years. I skinned him and then gave him the best fleshing job possible, washed him in a washing machine rinsed him with smelly Bounce, ran him thru a quick dryer cycle (very low heat) and then rubbed borax on the skin side. I then boarded him and further dried him with a vacuum set to blow. I removed him from the board after a week or so and tacked him to the wall, been there ever since, no smell, no hair slippage.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:47 PM

no the smell will not go away over time . but if you are going to keep it you can tan it and the smell will be gone
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Does it smell like rot or coyote? If it smells like coyote get it tanned. Send it to a tannery $70 is cheap compared to hearing aids. Cause you will need them after the significant other gets done letting you know how they really feel.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Banned

You're going to have to treat the pelt so it won't smell but I'd suggest that you tan it yourself if it's just for a wall hanger. It's relatively easy and cheap to do. There are some vids on youtube on how to do it. There's also a tanning solution (orange plastic bottle) at Halfords for about $20 that has enough to do several coyotes if you want to go that route. I used one bottle for a deer hide. For now keep the pelt in cool temps of 10 degrees of less.

I'll try to find the vid that I watched the other night as I have a couple of yotes that I want to do as well.