Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Default chain lake near nanton closed maybe???

hey all i just got back from fishing and talked with an older gentleman and the usual chit chat lead to chain lakes near nanton, being closed. the reason he gave was a moose kill was found near the lake not sure where, but suppose ably fish and wildlife closed chain lakes because two grizzly bears were feeding on the kill. black bears i can believe but i have not known grizzly's to venture this far down from the mountains. as far as i can guess its all fisherman's talk spun out a little bit or exaggerated. your thoughts cause i was thinking of heading down there in the next day or two and this would be a waste if this story is true. even had to question the guy cause he said every time he catches a sucker he tosses it into the trees and bushes which kinda ticked me off cause i find them fun to catch.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Grizzlies will come that far east. A friend of mine that lives west on Nanton a few miles had one in his yard last spring. They've also been seen as far east as Raymond farther south on the Milk River Ridge.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM

There was agrizzly spotted at Milk river.south of lethbridge..
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Could someone please post posted chain lakes is closed or not, I'm thinking of going there Saturday and it would be a waste of time if it is

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 PM

Just went on the Alberta parks website and it says there is no warnings or safety hazards for chain lakes provincial park, so I'm pretty sure it's not closed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-04-22-16-21-31.jpg (13.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM

or ................... you can just pick up the phone and call the regional SRD - fish and wildlife office .... that way you are guaranteed to have accurate information.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
black bears i can believe but i have not known grizzly's to venture this far down from the mountains.
http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/action-g...atened-grizzly

Grizz are more versatile than you think.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 PM

I've lived east of Bragg Creek for near 20 years, Used to never have Grizzlies, all blacks. Lately there's more grizz than blacks.

There are a lot more of them around in alberta than there were 10 or 20 years ago IMO. It's getting to the point that there are too many for the tiny habitat that they have left.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I've lived east of Bragg Creek for near 20 years, Used to never have Grizzlies, all blacks. Lately there's more grizz than blacks.

There are a lot more of them around in alberta than there were 10 or 20 years ago IMO. It's getting to the point that there are too many for the tiny habitat that they have left.
Listening to an interview earlier this year on the Ceeb, basically there is only a couple hundred which is very bad genetically. There is lots of habitat left, people just do not want to share.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 AM

thanks for the info gonna head down i a day or two. i just figured with the amount of traffic down there from people and vehicles that bears didn't come that close but i guess when they are hungry and looking for food they will go to extreme lengths to get it.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hey all i just got back from fishing and talked with an older gentleman and the usual chit chat lead to chain lakes near nanton, being closed. the reason he gave was a moose kill was found near the lake not sure where, but suppose ably fish and wildlife closed chain lakes because two grizzly bears were feeding on the kill. black bears i can believe but i have not known grizzly's to venture this far down from the mountains. as far as i can guess its all fisherman's talk spun out a little bit or exaggerated. your thoughts cause i was thinking of heading down there in the next day or two and this would be a waste if this story is true. even had to question the guy cause he said every time he catches a sucker he tosses it into the trees and bushes which kinda ticked me off cause i find them fun to catch.

Good for him , some idiot introduced suckers to that lake using sucker minnows for bait , throw them all to the bears and crows , if they get any more overpowering , the lake will have to be poisened out , l would suggest you do the same as the old boy , unless you dont like trout and love suckers.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Good for him , some idiot introduced suckers to that lake using sucker minnows for bait , throw them all to the bears and crows , if they get any more overpowering , the lake will have to be poisened out , l would suggest you do the same as the old boy , unless you dont like trout and love suckers.
White suckers and Longnose suckers (both of which live in Chain) are native to alberta. At one point, 15 or 20 years ago, they did nearly overpower the trout, so the government introduced bull trout and stepped up their stocking. They're no longer much of a "problem". Some people even target them there.

Leave the suckers alone, they're fun to catch on a slow trout day. They're also more challenging to hook sometimes.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-23-2014, 02:44 PM

i don't hate the suckers in fact some days i go down there just to catch the suckers for fun like flieguy says on a slow day they are fun to catch. i don't like seeing fish wasted like that. but everyone has their own opinion, regarding various species.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 AM

Sorry...I have to ask...Is the ice off to take the boat out...I want to test my motor and do some fishing at the same time

Thanks ya all....Usually I head down to my cabin once a month and can see the lake driving by, but not happening this time
Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

rumor has it last week the ice was around half off the lake maybe more by now.