Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
rem300wsm

Question sled deck regulations

would i be able to haul a deck with two sleds into b.c from alberta with a 3/4ton dodge any opions please let me know
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 PM

You will need to check the sticker in your door to see what your total weight that can be carried is and best guess your sleds, gear and fuel to see if your under or over. Shortbox trucks can carry more then a long box as far as weight. Overall GVW is why. I think you will be right on the limit.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

check your gvw and then load up EVERYTHING you will be taking on the trip. i lived there and i can assure you that your alberta plate will be reason enough to hassle you. anyway, once you are loaded go to a highway scale and see what the weight is. if you are close to max, start planning what you can do without. if you are over.....stay home, it wont be worth it.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

alberta plates in BC mean "Give me a ticket please" I'd go somewhere else. BC has made it more than clear they do not want Albertans in their province.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Like the other guys said double check your GVW.
In my 15 year mountain sledding career I have never had trouble with a deck and two sleds on a 3/4 ton. I have seen many people get dinged for the same set up with a 1/2 ton though. They don't care if you have airbags, extra leafs or any upgrades. It's what ever the trucks original GVW is.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 04-02-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Like the other guys said double check your GVW.
In my 15 year mountain sledding career I have never had trouble with a deck and two sleds on a 3/4 ton. I have seen many people get dinged for the same set up with a 1/2 ton though. They don't care if you have airbags, extra leafs or any upgrades. It's wha ever the trucks original GVW is.
i believe thats true in bc. as a j-man mechanic i have signed the form myself so i know that alberta allows modifications to increase gvw (which includes a brake upgrade), but i am pretty sure bc wont recognize it.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Dodge diesel quad cab - no you will be over GVW.
Gas quad cab, marathon deck two 800 XP 153 and two guys - no spare fuel you should just make it, but it depends on how much gear you are packing.

I don't see the 3/4 tons get bothered much down here, but if you are going to revy or mcbride areas I would think twice. A half ton with two apex or nytro's on the deck paints a target on you, airbags and any other mods do not count here. Come sled southern BC, we still have decent snow and way less hassles over wieghts.

Oh ya, it's not just the sticker on the door... its also the weight listed on your insurance papers!!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
rem300wsm

thanks my truck gvw 8800 now i have no clue what my truck wieghs but with 2 09 arctic cat sleds and a deck and some fuel and two people would you think we would be over the limit?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem300wsm View Post
thanks my truck gvw 8800 now i have no clue what my truck wieghs but with 2 09 arctic cat sleds and a deck and some fuel and two people would you think we would be over the limit?
Dang you would be close. Take her over the scale before ya go to BC. Believe me those guys don't fool around. They love trucks with Alberta plates. hehehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 PM

Just to put it in perspective - My companies '04 2500 diesel quadcab weighs 7390 pounds with no gear in it but with a full tank, I have ran it over the scales at the mill here. You can knock off about 500 pounds for a gas version. Using my company truck as an example I would have 1410 pounds for payload, a fueled up M8 163 is roughly 525 pounds, with two of them I would only have 360 pounds for a deck, passengers, sledin' gear etc...

I think you would be over. Really unless you want to buy a dually a trailer is the way to go if you want to be legal.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 PM
rem300wsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Just to put it in perspective - My companies '04 2500 diesel quadcab weighs 7390 pounds with no gear in it but with a full tank, I have ran it over the scales at the mill here. You can knock off about 500 pounds for a gas version. Using my company truck as an example I would have 1410 pounds for payload, a fueled up M8 163 is roughly 525 pounds, with two of them I would only have 360 pounds for a deck, passengers, sledin' gear etc...

I think you would be over. Really unless you want to buy a dually a trailer is the way to go if you want to be legal.

ya thanks its a gas so i might be a bit lighter but i am heading to the scale in town so we will find out then
Old 04-02-2011, 04:33 PM
rem300wsm

well i wieghed my truck full tank of fuel with nobody in it and it was 6220 lb so it will be close, do you guys know how much a sled deck wieghs?

Have any of you been stopped there and what will happen

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 04-02-2011 at 09:41 PM.