Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Great bull, congrats! And regarding the "native" hunters ( and I use that term very loosely) that would be pretty tough to see. What can be done? For another thread.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:51 PM

Great bull congrats!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Default Elk

In response to Reggies post. I know of a group of Native hunters guys said they were from Cold Lake area that have shot over 5 bulls all huge 360-380 range in and around suffield. Talked to Fish and Wildlife and they said he checked them and they had permission and everything was legit. He said they were hunting the 3 days before the season for Alberta Residents started. What is wrong with this picture I ask myself?????
Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM

If its all legit then absolutely nothing, last I heard there is an elk problem and the farmers appreciate the help
Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugg View Post
If its all legit then absolutely nothing, last I heard there is an elk problem and the farmers appreciate the help
Shooting bulls wont manage the elk problem...
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwarburton View Post
Just like the title says, who has a tag? I got a bull with a harem of cows....who has a tag?
Good on you for trying to help another hunter out.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Killing the Bulls will not stop the problem but it does help the farmers out, its the Bulls that are in the fields destroying the crops and wrecking the fences, the cows most of the time stay on the base,
Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Killing the Bulls will not stop the problem but it does help the farmers out, its the Bulls that are in the fields destroying the crops and wrecking the fences, the cows most of the time stay on the base,
X2 my vote is for more bull tags, less cow tags off the base, or open the base up for a bull draw as well. They also should let hunters in the wildlife area if they are serious about getting herd numbers down. Last I checked with SRD ('13) there was no management plan for the "Suffield" elk herd though.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I just spent 2 weeks bowhunting muleys in 152. I am disgusted with the amount of "Indians" or people with treaty status rifle hunting these huge bull elk. These guys pull up to the Jenner gas station with 380inch + bulls shot with a rifle days before season and justify it by saying they're meat hunters! What a complete joke! They should be ashamed to be hunters! No pride in that at all. It takes a normal man 12 years to draw a tag and these treaty members go back year after year and shoot trophy bulls. Shoot a young cow for meat not a 400inch bull before season. I personally saw them gut shot the biggest elk in the herd right infront of the ministers guide. He was not happy. How is this legal? Puts a bad name for hunters everywhere!
I agree Reggie. A guy from my hometown who has some sort of status has killed over a dozen bulls over 350 out there the past few years. Does nothing but brag about the big bulls he shoots. Its like shooting a 200 inch ram to "feed" the family. Meanwhile it takes 10-11 years for me to pull a tag. BS
Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
X2 my vote is for more bull tags, less cow tags off the base, or open the base up for a bull draw as well. They also should let hunters in the wildlife area if they are serious about getting herd numbers down. Last I checked with SRD ('13) there was no management plan for the "Suffield" elk herd though.
with all the sustenance hunting going on I doubt they will give more bull tags. Not sure the numbers a plan for the herd would come up with but I would hope they would take into consideration status harvests.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agree...

Those who have their nose out of joint about some bulls taking a dirt nap, it is what it is... No sense in bashing this group as this area has a serious mismanagement problem.. The count was over 7500 this spring, pretty sure a few dozen won't have any negative effects on trophy opportunity..

Beside, the military sending ordinates two miles away certainly has BBQ'ed more than the group that is being mentioned...
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
with all the sustenance hunting going on I doubt they will give more bull tags. Not sure the numbers a plan for the herd would come up with but I would hope they would take into consideration status harvests.
They already have increased the number of tags over the years as well as adding more seasons this year. They added more seasons rather then more tags because more hunters in the field would just decrease the harvest percentage as the presure from more hunters would just keep the elk on the base. The only way SRD knows about herd size is through surveys as far as I know. You dont have to register the elk killed off the base. And most of the ranchers in the area want dead elk and really dont care who or how.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
In response to Reggies post. I know of a group of Native hunters guys said they were from Cold Lake area that have shot over 5 bulls all huge 360-380 range in and around suffield. Talked to Fish and Wildlife and they said he checked them and they had permission and everything was legit. He said they were hunting the 3 days before the season for Alberta Residents started. What is wrong with this picture I ask myself?????
It's legit and legal. I'm not native but I agree with letting them have first dibs on everything. They were here first. We are the invasive hunters. I would almost guarantee that they focus on getting good meat more than the rest of us. How many threads are devoted to game cams and estimating the size of antlers, or deciding if this is the year to kill something or let it grow bigger antlers for next year? If we were in their shoes we would be taking the Bulls in and around Suffield. Not to mention they might see more bulls first. Sure there are native hunters who go after nice antlers, just like most white hunters do. And like it's been said. The Bulls can be the ones causing most of the damage off base
Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM

Mateo! Are you for REAL .
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Banned

For the love of God, DO not screw this thread up and get it shut down!
Go converse in another thread about Indian rights.

Jamie
Old 09-16-2014, 03:18 PM

I am with you Jamie. The intent of this thread was to help out someone who had waited for years to draw this tag. I was merely offering to be another set of eyes. I had no idea it would turn to an aboriginal hunting rights debate
Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhunter View Post
X2.... If you feel the bulls do the most damage off the base you need to get out more....

200-300 elk....usually cows and spikers are the ones doing the crop and fence damage the most.

Now let's leave this and have the thread progress as intended!

LC
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhunter View Post
Exactly what I was thinking after reading his post.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwarburton View Post
I am with you Jamie. The intent of this thread was to help out someone who had waited for years to draw this tag. I was merely offering to be another set of eyes. I had no idea it would turn to an aboriginal hunting rights debate
For sure. Great offer by you btw. Cant wait to see some more pics and get the old guess the score game going again this year.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
long story short...glassed him bedded down, made a great stalk to 30 yards, then my buddy stuck an arrow in him.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps7c96ef20.jpg
Nice bull, congrats!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

Any updates?
Looks like I am heading down on Thursday or Friday!

Jamie
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 PM

To be honest I have been very busy getting ready for the cows to come home from the community pasture so I haven't been out much. I will hopefully get out tomorrow afternoon. If I see anything I will be sure to let you know
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
It's legit and legal. I'm not native but I agree with letting them have first dibs on everything. They were here first. We are the invasive hunters. I would almost guarantee that they focus on getting good meat more than the rest of us. How many threads are devoted to game cams and estimating the size of antlers, or deciding if this is the year to kill something or let it grow bigger antlers for next year? If we were in their shoes we would be taking the Bulls in and around Suffield. Not to mention they might see more bulls first. Sure there are native hunters who go after nice antlers, just like most white hunters do. And like it's been said. The Bulls can be the ones causing most of the damage off base
I'm not even going to respond, but you are in denial if this is what you believe. we live in Canada, everyone should have equal rights and responsibilities.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
I'm not even going to respond, but you are in denial if this is what you believe. we live in Canada, everyone should have equal rights and responsibilities.
Enough! Start another thread.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
I agree Reggie. A guy from my hometown who has some sort of status has killed over a dozen bulls over 350 out there the past few years. Does nothing but brag about the big bulls he shoots. Its like shooting a 200 inch ram to "feed" the family. Meanwhile it takes 10-11 years for me to pull a tag. BS
His shop he keeps them in should be burned to the ground. They are not his and he does not deserve them, same for the rest of these white indians rolling up in fancy oil patch purchased trucks. Gotta mention the carded prik that operates for cenovus... Real lucky dude, if there woulda been photographic evidence of you poaching that bull while in your company truck she woulda been the end of your career... Lets leave no mention of the truck loads of antelope that are being pulled outa here by these poaching sons a dogs... Gotta take a second here to thank our ever useless SRD for the follow up on that,, way to make sure the ball is consistently dropped on about every level possible... Got a whole lot to say about this, there are much farther reaching implications transpiring from some of the logistics around this and decisions SRD has implemented,, we will just leave well enough alone for now and just be observant of what transpires.. Rest assured someone is gonna have thier hands full when they have to deal with the fallout from all this bullsheit..

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Banned

Our governments fault if you ask me Reggie!

Wow what a stud bull PDFish, awesome!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Thanks, saw another 340+ bull yesterday 100 yards from where my buddy arrowed this one but no chance of putting a stalk on him.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 AM

These guys came through town and were picking up ice for the meat. they were coming from down south by jenner i believe. This was a couple days before September 1st.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.2 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by Baskey1414; 10-01-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskey1414 View Post
They said they were hunting for meat? Not sure about that though haha. This was a couple days before September 1st.
There is a lot more neck meat burger on a pre-rut or rutting bull than a cow....

LC
Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Any updates?
Looks like I am heading down on Thursday or Friday!

Jamie
I was out all day...
50+ elk seen
Only 5 were off base and all bulls
2 of those were very nice but ran as soon as truck stopped.
3 monsters seen on base.
Lady at Jenner gas station said not many dead elk coming thru.
It is pretty much as I expected it to be....