Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM

I very much doubt that Alberta will ever see a grizzly hunt again. However, the reason will be political, it will have nothing to do with whether the grizzly population can sustain a limited hunt.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I very much doubt that Alberta will ever see a grizzly hunt again. However, the reason will be political, it will have nothing to do with whether the grizzly population can sustain a limited hunt.
Bingo!....the population of grizzlies in Alberta is irrelevant. The only question that enters the minds of policy makers is this: is reinstating a grizzly bear hunt (or voting for or against it) going to get me more or less votes?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM

I sure hope so. At the very least it would be nice not to have to choose between having to pay a mortician vs. a lawyer if a grizzly encounter goes south.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Just a thought

Don't burn me on this idea cause I know people have been lobbying for the hunt for a long time, but why not play there game. Get more organized and raise a stink with the media something that will really get out there. Whenever someone from an animal rights group squeaks to the media they all seem to perk up I say play their game. I am not a grizzly hunter myself but I like grizzly country and like stated before if something goes south I don't want to be a criminal for protecting myself, this whole grizzly thing is starting to **** me off.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 PM

I sure hope the hunt comes back soon and I hope I get my priority 8 back if not I'm ok with a lottery draw system I don't want the hunt to come back because of the recent events we all know the risks when going into grizz country but I would like to see the hunt open because of healthy bear numbers
Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 PM

They should open draw zones in the fringe areas where g-bears aren't welcome. Bears are getting killed now (I know of two shot in farm yards around Valleyview in the past few years and another that was trapped eating out of grain bags along highway 43). I also know of another big (600 -800 lb) boar g-bear snared north of Leslieville. Pull some tags in these areas and leave the bears that are living on the side of a mountain.

I also believe that a lot of g-bears get the SSS treatment. You can shoot a bear in self defense or error, turn yourself in, and get a $10 000 fine or you can drag it off somewhere for the other bears to eat and if you are the unluckiest hunter in western Canada and get caught, you will get a $10 000 fine. I would take my chances with SSS.

I don't know if I buy the territorial theory. If it is accurate, the territories are small.

Last comment - if we killed 2/3's of the g-bears in Alberta tomorrow the bears from BC would move over to the open territory and we would have healthy bear population again within 10 years.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Get involved!!! This is the first time outdoorsmen and women have an opportunity to contribute directly to grizzly bear research that will be used to develop population estimates and contribute to long term trend monitoring. It would be nice to see the pilot be as successful as possible and continue in future years. This could be the answer for annual population monitoring across the entire province. Remember sightings just tell us where bears are at a point in time (occupancy)... DNA is needed for developing population estimates.

http://www.grizzlyscatapp.ca/

Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yscatapp&hl=en

iOS App coming soon.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Good stuff, splitbrow.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Thanks Stinky. Apologies for hijacking a few threads but just trying to get as many outdoorsmen and women involved in the pilot this fall. I got a few vials in my hunting pack!
Old 09-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Come on now guys. We all know there are no grizzly bears or wolves in Alberta. It is a figment of our imaginations when we see either of them out in the wilds. I work in the foothills. I have lots of pictures of these invisible creatures. And yes, we out here are seeing more every year.