Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Default Hunting camp set up Ideas

Well got myself a new used 12x14 wall tent .
Heading up to nojack In nov.
needs some ideas for what you bring to camp in the winter . i have hunted in tents before in the winter. But im looking for ideas for gear and camp set up to food . Anything that you think would make a camp more comfy enjoyable
Thanks
Shawn

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Well based on the last time I seen a wall tent you set up in November I would say have someone along who knows how to set one up!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Well based on the last time I seen a wall tent you set up in November I would say have someone along who knows how to set one up!
lol to use setting up modular tent .. Im getting a fram for this tent smart a--

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 PM

If you are anywhere where you might be able to acquire some coal lumps, when you're bedding down put a couple of lumps of coal in the stove and damper it down. Coal will burn alot longer and hotter than wood. Be sure to put an inch of sand on the bottom of your stove, which helps the bottom of your stove from burning out, (using wood or coal).
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM

If you take a tarp along ...
If it snows it is nice to make a tarp tepee off of the open end of your outfitters tent. Great for gear, firewood and a porch. Rather than making an awning or leanto with the tarp, the tepee style will hold up better in wind and snow.

Saves tracking snow into the tent too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Small fan at the peak helps blow the warm air back down and reduces cold zones, the small battery operated ones work good and don't use many batteries.
If you have room, tarp the floor then put 3/8 spruce plywood down to walk on, makes it nice to sit in a chair or walk around in sock feet, doesn't need to be cut exactly to size, just overlap joints.
If you have a generator the string lites you can buy at Princess Auto work great for lighting up the interior.
Cast iron pan and especially a Dutch oven for cooking on the stove.
Baz
Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Snow shovel to clear a spot, a little spade doesn't work so good. If your buying a internal frame, take coat hangers to hang stuff from the ridge pole so it dries as you sleep. We take pieces of carpet to put under the cot so you have a dry spot to put your socks on, get dressed etc. Gear bags go on a tarp in the corner. I bent some light re bar into hooks that hang off the mid line of the frame. You can hang anything up off the ground, i put my rifle in a case and hang it there during the night, it's nice and close in case i need it and off the ground. My friend brings his marine battery and and inverter and we run one of those pig tail compact florescent light bulbs for inside the tent. Propane lanterns outside. As mentioned, a tarp that is bigger than the tent, makes for a nice porch out front, covers the sides and back wall when it snows. I use a 12x14 old forestry tent as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM

cots and a good foamy on top of that to help insulate you. It will keep your sleeping bag from getting damp from the hot/cold condensation while you are sleeping. Flip the sleeping bag over every morning so it can dry if it did get damp over night.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Good strong cot, better sleeping bag, a good wood stove and lots of firewood chopped up. I slept in my wall tent set up in the mountains during the winter very comfortably.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 PM

Old 09-16-2014, 10:16 PM

Head to your spot before it snows. Lay a tarp or 6 mil poly down where the tent will be. Pull tarp up when you get there. Helps keep floor dry. Try insulated tarps over the tent in Nov. Definite temp difference inside. Yard light is an awesome luxury. Gets dark early. As mentioned coal in the stove at night or dry birch. We run a 10 ft piece of conduit inside tent along the peak and everything gets hung up at night to dry. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM

If you are sleeping on a cot put your gear under the cot. Your gear will insulate the bottom of the cot.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 AM

It can get very dry in those tents at night when your stove is stoked so put a metal bucket of water ontop to help humidify the tent.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Somebody that possesses the following: Weaker bladder than you and also a lighter sleeping bag than you.

The rest has been mentioned.

Only other thing would be a roll of haywire for emergencies when the freak wind storms arrive. It kind of sucks when the roof or wall (depending on your configuration) wants to lift the pipe up from your stove. Mind you a 3/8" chain also works if required but is a little more clumbersome.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Muskeg View Post
Somebody that possesses the following: Weaker bladder than you and also a lighter sleeping bag than you.

The rest has been mentioned.

Only other thing would be a roll of haywire for emergencies when the freak wind storms arrive. It kind of sucks when the roof or wall (depending on your configuration) wants to lift the pipe up from your stove. Mind you a 3/8" chain also works if required but is a little more clumbersome.
lol
i had a buddy with me last time like that small bladder lots of whiskey before bed

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

If you have a generator, string mini LED lights inside the tent along the ridge pole. They take up hardly any power, and provide the entire tent with light. Hang a short extension cord with multiple outlets off the end for charging electronics.

A collapsible plastic shelving unit is easy to pack, sets up inside the tent for stackable storage.

Area rugs work good for the side of your cot and entrance of the tent. Keeps mud down, and feet warm when you wake up.

After everyone wakes up, stack cots on top of one another to give the tent more room for the day.

Use a 4ft section of aluminum pipe or emt with a 8ft piece of rope through it to hang from the wall tent frame near the stove to dry wet gear.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 AM

where is the best place to buy a string of led lights?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Costco had them for like 30$ I think. Take pics once you set up
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM

A frame. Not much good for horse packing but wouldn't do without mine truck hunting.

Grizz
Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Amazon. Can get a 15ft roll for about $10 if you can solder the ends to what you need. I used just under the rails in my truck bed and they illuminate the whole box really well.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM

while you are a Costco buying LED string lights, grab one of the Snap-on LED work lights, great for quatering back at camp after dark, sure beats propane lanterns and head lamps, even run it off the 400w inverter in buddy's truck.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Heres an oddball tip...

Even if you have a wood stove, this can give some extra heat without any cost or effort. It is just utilizing the heat from your campfire.

Take a 5 gallon metal pail to camp. Gather about 3/4 full of 6" to 8" dia. rocks.
Take the rocks and heat them up in the campfire. Put the hot rocks into the pail and into the tent. The pail will throw off good heat for an hour or three.

*Careful what kind of rocks you heat as some will burst. Do not use rocks from a riverbed because they may have internal moisture which causes the bursting and fracturing. Avoid using shale & sandstone too.

The pail of rocks is good if you want to do a sweat too. If you are really creative you could put a long metal tray under your cot and put the hot rocks under your cot. Use a shovel to handle the rocks.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default Lots of rope / cord / string

Hane along ample and generous supplies of rope or cord. Million uses. Doesn't need to be strong stuff. But everything from hanging clothes to extra wind security. Never have enid rope or stings.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Large wood chips make a warm carpet like floor in suck a tent and it Eco-friendly too. Plus, if you need kindling, there's lots right there.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Great ideas guys!! I second the pail water on the stove to add some moisture, and I would also add hanging ultra low voltage light above my cot ..waking up with whiskey mouth in a pitch black +30 tent, and a unknown red hot stove always freaks me out.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 PM

unfortunately coal lumps can not be used in stoves because the use the oxygen in the tent we have looked in to it ourself the best way to keep warm in november is have the proper damper on the pipe coming out of the stove works like a charm
Old 09-24-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lots of styles of string led lights on ebay. Got a couple strings for about 8 bucks each, which included shipping
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colason-3 View Post
unfortunately coal lumps can not be used in stoves because the use the oxygen in the tent we have looked in to it ourself the best way to keep warm in november is have the proper damper on the pipe coming out of the stove works like a charm
I guess the solution would be to have a 'duct' on the bottom stove vent/damper and running out the tent for fresh air intake.

That is odd. When I think back, when we had 300 day old chicks in a small brooder (10x12), closed space, we used cast iron brooder stoves. We used coal and never suffocated the chicks.

Could get 12 to 14 hours of heat out of a fill of coal. The stove had an automatic damper that you could set for a constant temperature too. It was very dampered down or it would burn way too hot.

This picture is similar to one we used. Ours was a Buckeye No.19 cast iron brooder stove. A little smaller. The arm is the thermostat. Made especially for coal.

One of these styles of stove is ideal for winter tent use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckeye brooder stove..jpg (31.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith78 View Post
waking up with whiskey mouth in a pitch black +30 tent, and a unknown red hot stove always freaks me out.
Sounds like our hunting camp on occasion! Does your stove have flames shooting out the chimney and sound like an afterburner?

A folding table is nice to have...I hate trying to prepare supper on a chunk of firewood or on the ground.