Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Birthday Bou Hunt !!

August 19th finally arrived after counting down the months and days since my brother and I made plans to do a Mountain Caribou Hunt during last years Birthday celebration. which is mid August for both of us only a day apart..

We left home for Valemount about 9:00 and arrived there for 3:00 to get our Hunting licences from a Government agent !! Yes Government agent..
Things are a little behind times in BC but rumour is they are making changes.

Our hunter host had applied about 6 months ago to do a Permit to accompany for us and we had our paperwork of approval which was nice to be able to have our Licences and be able to hit the road as soon as my 2 BC pals met up with us at 6:00 pm.

We made it as far as Prince George that night then carried on the next day to Dease Lake..It was a scenic drive and quite a few Black Bears spotted along the highway and crossed a couple rivers with Sockeye running in them..

Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 PM

My plan was to call my Wife from Dease Lake , but apparently theres no cell coverage..The kids are not exposed to having to be attached to i-phones and people were lined up to the pay phone at the only store there..
Well my spot signal of OK was going to have to do..

We grabbed some Beers and some groceries and headed for the lake where we would pitch our tents...

Morning came early , we had a coffee and filled out some contact info with the Pilot then got the plane loaded and we were finally off to Zipperlip Lake.

What a great flight and those Cassiar Mountains are just beautiful..We passed over the Kawdy Plateau and i pictured what it must be like in the winter with the majority of the Mountain Caribou wintering there.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 PM

45 minutes later we were landing on the water and pulled up to a backcountry cabin that was vacant and definitely was the Hilton during the rainy days we had..
as i hopped off the pontoon into the sand i looked down and saw caribou tracks and Grizzly Crap loaded with berries right there on the shore..Looks like were at the right place ..

In no time Keith was off and we would not see him for 10 days..

It did not take long before we settled in and then we were behind the glass scouting the area for Caribou , Stone Sheep, Goats and Moose..

The first animal my Bro and i saw was a Grizzly across the lake . This Boar was taking his time and Gorging himself on the endless supply of berries around the lakes edge...What was even Cooler was i saw a Monster Moose rack right by the Bear, which looked like about 2-3 years old.

a couple days later i got my hands on that Rack and a measuring tape...
67 " Inches !!! What a hawg this Moose must have been that stood under this rack once upon a time.. Notice the 8" drop off the back of the pan.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM

keep going we're waiting !!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
keep going we're waiting !!
I agree, please tell the rest of the story.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Gimme gimme more!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:05 PM

We would spend the next 3 days backpacking into different basins and during this time you get real good at changing layers of clothing and rain gear, keeping stuff dry etc. From my experience you dont see a lot of Mountain Caribou but more in small groups of Cows and Calfs and Bulls together in pairs or 3 in a group at this time of year..

For me this hunt was all about getting my Brother on to a Caribou more than myself ..Watching his excitement when he spotted one or we hiked into another basin and bump some and watching his expression was priceless..
The second night after setting up camp we were glassing Caribou and my Brother spots a Billy angling across the side hill and headed for the top ridge..
he stopped on the sky line and looked down onto us and maybe even stuck his tongue out...then over the top and gone.. It was early and we still have tons of real estate to explore at a lower level..

Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM

a Lot of time is spent glassing and waiting for the Caribou to show themselves, you never know if they will be on a Mountain top or below you along one of the numerous lakes. Heck the first good Bull we saw was swimming down the middle of the lake, we still dont know if we bumped him or he jumped in for exercise..he got to the other side and was grazing on the shore for hours.

One afternoon just out of camp i was going through my pack for some power bars and i find a Big Turk Chocolate Bar and a note from my Amazing Wife wishing me luck and to continue being safe.. Ya I will keep her around for another 25 yrs i think.

Day 4 or so we made our way around Zipperlip Lake and back to the Hilton where there was a wood stove and a ton of nails to dry out 4 guys Gear..Oh and a Cold beer in the water at the lakes edge..

Late that same evening who knew i was going to spot 2 Nice Bull Caribou across the lake about 3 kms away through that magic piece of Swarovski glass that was loaned to me for this hunt..

I was real Cool to see one of those 2 Bulls within range...well ended up 88 yds away from us as the 168 grn 300 WSM was enroute to his Boiler room.......My Brother had his first Mountain Caribou on the ground.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Man I love these stories.... awesome Springer!!!

Cant wait for more..
Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 AM

Well had all sorts of time to look these Caribou over before dark so when we were this close i recognized those double shovels..

The next morning we decided to borrow the patched and repatched Canoe that was stored in the cabin..should we get Lucky . This would shorten the pack trip a great deal ..We tested it on land then tested it in the water..

With our packs and paddles we set out across the lake , hoping the early morning would be absent of the nasty wind from the South..The BC Boys hiked around the lake and met us at the other side.. a plan was made to meet at the top of the first Mountain where i spotted the Bou the night before, Our Host with us and my other friend would carefully scoot around through the patches of trees , should he bump something to us or us to him..

The hike to the top was uneventful so we parked our butts and began the daily ritual of glassing..a few cow calfs spotted and 2 ewes and lambs ..
after about an hour i cant take it and decide to scoot over the other side for a look around...I picked my way through the rocks to a comfortable glassing spot...There was not a bad seat in the house and as always the scenery amazing...

10 mins later a Caribou Bull is in my Binoculars about 500 yds away and i recognize him from the day before..I retreated to where i left my rifle and pack and the guys. trying to hold my excitement i sit down, have a drink of water and say....If you boys arent busy theres a great Caribou Bull about 500 yds from us.. I have everyones attention now,,wanna go put some lead in him ??

In a flurry were set and making our way around top of the Mountain slowly , wondering exactly where he is now when a Wolverine comes bounding over the top and puts the brakes on !! My Bro whispers hey its Hugh Jackman ?? Oh i get it Wolverine. Well he spins around and disappears the way he came..

We drop our packs , with video camera in one hand and rifle in the other i hope to catch the shot on tape.. I have both reins pulled back hard but my Brother is pumped and wants a crack at the Bou wherever he is , when all of a sudden there he is , surprised as much as we are and he decides its time to head out..I am trying to get the tri-pod set up and camera on when our BC Host says, he's well over legal and the shot rings out, without me set up again of course in time but i catch the second shot when the second shot is followed by the distinct sound of Thhwack direct hit and this Bull tips over and is now laying on the Lichen covered hillside.

Yeeha and high fives and F-ya Big Bro completed what he set out to do and filled his first Mountain Caribou tag.

we relived it over and over and gave our respects and thanks to the Bull and for our friends that let us share this beautiful part of Wild British Columbia..

The caping and Quartering began and before you know it 4 packs loaded for the descent down the Mountain to the Canoe..

Heres Big Bro wiped but happy and theres the light Blue transporter that we will paddle across the lake right into camp..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 AM

Once back to camp,, well it was a deserved Beer Break first then we hung the Quarters and got some marinate on a backstrap for supper, this time not Mountain House !! and non stop bragging about how my brother just shot the Worlds largest Caribou !!

I guess from cloud nine he must have been that big..LOL
Old 09-17-2014, 04:43 AM
Banned

great story and pics. Congrats to your bro on his caribou.
I'm sure this story isn't over yet. Will tune in here again when I get back from deer blind.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 AM

That's a great story and wonderful pictures Phil. Congrats to your brother. I'm extremely jealous as a mountain caribou is definitely a hunt I want to do soon!
Thanks for posting.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 AM

It doesn't much better then that. Congrats!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM

The next Day we had a camp day, my Bro and I . The BC boys wanted to go cover some ground and look for sheep and Goats..

We did some camp chores and caping , then deboned the meat further..

It was a great day of rest as well so we did some Fishing and of course i was always glassing from above the cabin..
The BC Boys had an exciting day , My host was packing a Bow only and his long time hunting pal Sepp was with a rifle.
They got on a couple Goats and at 20 yds just as he was coming to full draw they winded them and busted outta there. It was all caught on tape to...Poor Geoff hung his head after this one..

After supper i was glassing and saw a Bull with the legal 5 points up top on his right side out across the lake again, right where we had sat days earlier.. his left side had a bit of a clump and almost 5 but still great mass in his beams.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:08 PM

It would be the last day when i would end up pulling the trigger..We set out after those Goats when we encountered that same Bull again but different basin..

Now it was 11 years ago when Geoff and i hunted together for the first time on a Mountain Goat hunt..I try to capture my hunts on tape , but those that have tried and know how tough it is to get the shot on tape ...Its really a 2 man job , the shooter and the Camera man..
Well Geoff messed up 11yrs ago, bumped the camera and missed the shot, all we caught was yeehas and colourful language..

He couldn't possibly screw up again 11 yrs later could he ???
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Great story, and congratulations on that hunt! Memories like that are the ones that last a lifetime, you will appreciate it more as the years go by. Thanks for sharing that with all of us, those are the stories that cement our hunting fraternity. The respect you showed for your hunt is what impressed me the most. Well done brother!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Thanks TC.

So Geoff and i make a game plan to go after the Goats and my Brother is going to do stuff around camp, cut firewood ,start packing stuff etc.. Sepp is going Solo for the day and hopes to find some Stone Sheep..
Geoff and i load the Baby Blue canoe up and set off across the lake and plan on climbing all day so this will be awesome if we get something and can paddle again instead of pack the animal..
Were familiar now with this spot and we are quietly and carefully picking our way across the boulders when we spot a few Caribou..a small Bull and 5 cows...OK no shooters lets carry on and burn our lungs and legs chasing Goats.. I look ahead as i am slowly walking and now there is a Bull about 350 yds out !!!! Whoa Geoff , theres a Bull !! Up comes the Bino's 1,2,3,4,5 Yup he's legal and he's not to scared ..We hunker down in the rocks and geoff sets his pack up for me to shoot off of. and he takes a reading .........well here watch for yourself...

https://vimeo.com/106003109

So Ya lets put the camera on pause and get another range on him...But don't forget to hit RECORD again please...
Now Geoff has packed a camera along the whole trip and doing a great job ,narrating holding still,,,

Ok lets see what happens after he ranges him again..

https://vimeo.com/105834942
Old 09-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Oooppss!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Great thread by the way.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM

Good Times. Now its time for photo's caping and quartering , right after some photos..and yes its starting to rain again which it did off and on the whole time..

So right here i am smiling with Happiness and at the same time thinking to myself , I want a Caribou mount in Velvet and he has already knocked a bit off . We are careful as possible , i need to get this guy to Marco at Sugar Creek Taxidermy as soon as we get back..

Its a heavy Load but it feels good. We packed a couple quarters to the lakes edge already and now are coming down with Cape and antlers as well as last quarters..

Before we set out across the lake i have to check out this rack one more time and man i wish i had room to bring it home but that would have been another flight..

We distribute the weight and push off with the canoe , It now starts pouring rain but theres no whipping the smile off my face..We silently pull up to the cabin with a full load and were tired and hungry, the smoke is coming out of the chimney and here comes the boys just a rubber necking to see what we have....
It was another meal of marinated backstraps on the open fire and i still have a caribou to cape....What memories we made, and how did the days go by so fast,tomorrow the plane will pick us up and its back to Dease lake for a shower and then hit the road for that 25 hr drive back home, but first we register at the Compulsory inspection and they keep a tooth from the bottom jaw..

This is the memory i will have engrained for many years to come.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM

We were a little concerned about getting the meat back cool enough.It had stayed nice and cool back at camp .Once we got to the trucks we put quarters on ice in coolers and kept the lids shut..

I went back to work the next evening so i kept the meat on ice and the water drained off...For anyone wondering what to do on a trip like this , well here you go, 4 days later i started butchering and the meat was still very cold..

The meat has been delicious on these ones.

Thanks Bro for the Birthday Bou Hunt. I can't wait to see what Sugar Creek does with these mounts..

I also want to Thank My BC Hunting pals, without you this trip would not have happened !!

Cheers.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Story.

Great thread.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Great story Phil. You can give me the rundown at antelope camp next weekend.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Awesome thread Phil....the photos are fantastic!!! It was good to meet your brother. Congrats to both of you....Marco
Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 AM

Great story Phil.

More story will be great!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 AM

OK, I was apparently too impatient to wait for the last posts hahaha!!!
Congratulations to you Phil on a great looking caribou that was well deserved.
Once again......I am envious!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Great write up! Looks like a most excellent trip! congrats to you both!

LC
Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 PM

So awesome!

Who'd you fly with

I leave saturday after work for my first cariboo hunt. Flying in to cold fish lake with alpine lakes air.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Great write up! Looks like a most excellent trip! congrats to you both!

LC
Thanks Kris , It was down to the last day of deciding whether i was taking my Bow or my rifle on this hunt.

Hey Ken let's do a Caribou Wagon trip !! First lets see how your Pronghorn adventure goes.

Hey Todd , Yes see you down South. I am just Guide / Cameraman / Driver / Skinner / Cook etc...on this Antelope Hunt.