Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 AM

Default seems like forever in the making... 2014 Bighorn

So where to start.........How about the lack of posts on this forum of bighorns that were shot this year. Correct me if I am wrong but there hasn't been one. Am I missing something, please feel free to pm on why cause I've missed the memo. Anyways lets get into the good stuff.

I have to go back a few years to start the story, over the last 5 years I have pretty much only hunted sheep mainly to be in the mountains and with great buddies. I have found there is nothing that is in the same league or category as sheep hunting. Over the last five years I have had many opportunities at many rams that were "squeakers" but I wanted a ram that I could just look at and know....he is the one.

Ok so last year was my year I had done my homework and hard work so I figured that I would succeed. I have a very dedicated buddy ( Ty ) who loves sheep hunting and at any spare moment the both of us are out in the mountains but due to his shift work schedule it makes it hard. It didn't take me long to figure out that if I really wanted a ram I would have to go out by myself when Ty couldn't. Ok so back to last year Ty and I went out for opener for a week then after that we were going sturgeon fishing. Perfect plan. We went out and the night before opener we got on rams. the next day we tried to find them all day....by this point we had put on a pile of miles and had gone through many of pains....So we got on the rams again three hours before dark and we watched them go over the top into the next basin. Well we still had time.... Ty and I burned out of that basin and up the next one. Wow and we got to the back and there they were, so we managed with cat like precision we got up on them but the closest we could get was 450 yrds. I have done lots of practice at 400 yrds so I got lined up and he winded us and was just standing looking our way. As the tension grew I made my shot. I missed. I had over compensated and I now felt a feeling no one should have to feel. Not just for me but for Ty who has worked like crazy with me. To say the least the sturgeon fishing was awesome.

Also last year I past up a giant barely legal ram that another hunter shot after I past on him. I sort of regretted that one till today.

Then on the second last day of last years season a buddy of mine ( not Ty ) and our other buddy went out and by this point in the season I had spent any spare moment in the mountains. Anyways the three of us went out and luck of the draw rams came over the top and we decided to split up and "boom" the ram that worked its way down the mountain decided to go his way not mine and that ram scored around 176 ish. So as I keep telling myself " it wasn't meant to be " as I cry myself to sleep. I was however very happy for my buddy.

This season 2014

Ty and I went out shortly after opener and got on a nice broomed off ram that was bedded down beside some not legal ones. After the days adventures getting into where we wanted to go neither of us had much in our tanks but we gave it hell and got after that ram. It was brutal going and got to 500 yrds then when we were trying to close the distance. He disappeared. We looked for him for the next two days and two different trips after that weekend and were not able to find him again, only the 7 other rams he was with.

This weekend

None of my buddies could come out with me and my plan was to head in alone, like done many times before. After the events that rolled out in picklejar with Rick Cross had brought the realization to my dad that it can be dangerous by yourself. Sooooo my dad who taught me almost everything I know about hunting told me he would come with me and bring his defender. I was reluctant because my dad had never sheep hunted before but I figured well we will just take our time and go slow and worst case scenario he will see my " unforgiving mistress " and we will have a good time. So after 10 kms in deep snow to get to camp, my dad had had enough and we set up camp. As we are sitting there eating some fish I brought, some rams rolled over the ridge above camp. So I go to take off and my dad who by the was is 61 started out following but decided he wouldn't make it very far stayed at camp. I made it up the ridge and got within 450 yrds and I Knew the one was very legal but the were walking away over the next ridge and 450 yrds was a little far for my shooting. as soon as the walked over the ridge I ran across the basin to close the distance. after lots of sweat I peaked over the edge and they were all below me at 305 yrds. I grabbed my gun and got set up and one shoot through the engine room and one more quick insurance shot it was over. After that I sat there taking it all in and could hardly contain my emotions. Meanwhile my dad watched it all unfold from below and started the hike up to me. I walked up to my ram and after many of pictures then the cape out and debone my dad walked up and it was an awesome feeling. I was so proud of my dad for making this whole trip work but knew he would feel it in the morning. After the hike back to camp we were bagged so we ate and hit the sack, with me wondering how horrible the hike out would be tomorrow. Well we got up after a short sleep in and started the trek out. Well after sweat and pain we did make it out and how I wished Ty was there I had an experience that I never could have planned. As I got out a buddy who was on my spot messenger knew I shot a ram and sent me a text saying " I guess the old man had to show you how to hunt again " and it just made my thankful my dad was able to be there for this incredible day that meant so much to me. Neither my dad nor I could hardly walk once back to the truck and my dad said that that was his first and last sheep trip, but what a hell of a sheep trip.....

Sorry about the crappy grammer or spelling or whatever but this is my story and I hope you guys enjoy it. Good luck to all the other sheephunters.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 AM

Default Pictures

Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.1 KB, 1011 views)

Last edited by Acesneights; 09-15-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Default More

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.5 KB, 1005 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 AM

Default Pics

Still comin not sure really how to post pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.3 KB, 712 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 AM

Default More comin

Still comin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.9 KB, 909 views)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:48 AM

Awesome read and a great story, congrats on the ram and especially being able to make it happen with family . I give your dad a big pat on the back as I have had 30 yr old partners that couldn't make a sheep hunt work.have turned around, tucked tail and headed for the truck a few times, dam it would be great to find a dedicated partner.....
Old 09-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Banned

Pretty cool is all I can say.

Big congrats on a fine animal.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Banned

Awesome Ram and story. It sounds like you earned it.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:11 AM

That's great. Congrats to you and your dad too.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Awesome story and a well deserved ram. Congrats!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
x2.. know of 4 rams taken thus far this year , no pics on here so far . maybe they are just shy .
Old 09-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Awesome ram congrats!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Way to go. Congrats on the ram!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Beauty!

-Billy Molls
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Nice sheep congrats!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Great ram. Congratulations!!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Congrats to you and your dad.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Grats on your Ram and having your dad there Priceless

Great story

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Great story, and a great ram! Nice job! I agree with you too, more guys should be posting their stories and be proud about them! I won't get out this year myself, but hope to be posting a great success story next year.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Awesome ram and to share it with your dad makes it that much better. Big congrats to both of you.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Still comin
Spitting image of him too! Congrats on the fantastic efforts
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
X2

Welcome to the club
Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 AM

Awesome ram! Congrats!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Great story and love that your dad came along. Nice pic with the rams on the ledge looking back at their buddy. Congrats.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Congrats on your ram!!! Well deserved.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Congrats, that's a great ram
Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

thanks for sharing your story with us.. Awesome Ram !!! well deserved!! Love the first pic with the other rams in the background
Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Awesome story and awesome rate man. Congratulations
Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Congratulations! Experiencing this with your dad there is........priceless.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka View Post
thanks for sharing your story with us.. Awesome Ram !!! well deserved!! Love the first pic with the other rams in the background
2X great pic! Congrats, and thanks for posting it up, share some more pics with us too!