Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense
Default Listening to the bulls bugle

So here I sit, enjoying a glass of rye and puttering on my computer, with my office window open and listening to the bull elk bugling down in the field.

I put my glass down and went and hunted up my Pa's old Herter's elk call and stepped out on the deck and bugled back to them. Just for poops and giggles...lol

Have to stop because if I don't I think one or more might be standing in my yard.

At times life really can be good.......
Regards,
Dave
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 AM

Your lucky!!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Default Elk

Had the same performance the other night just before that snow hit, minus the rye though. David.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Your killing me Dave, I want be out there till Wednesday when my job raps up!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Sunday. It all happens on Sunday

What's the wolf situation like this year?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

No sign or sound of wolves...yet...

My game cameras have not picked up any wolves, one cougar and only one moose calf so far. No Mama Moose on the camera??

Lots of small whitetail bucks, double daggers etc. Nothing that would make anyone's heart beat faster unless they are hunting for meat.

Plenty of elk on the cameras, in the fields and lots of sign. The herd seems to be holed up on a quarter that the landowner does not give permission to hunt. Some logic there I suppose if you were an elk.

I'm no expert on elk and for the first while I was wondering if perhaps the cougars had the elk walking around in silence? Not sure if that happens or not? But the last three nights or so they have been bugling like crazy so that lets the air out of that theory.

Just everyone be aware that we have a healthy, seemingly large, cougar population out here so conduct yourselves accordingly.
Regards,
Dave
Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
No sign or sound of wolves...yet...

My game cameras have not picked up any wolves, one cougar and only one moose calf so far. No Mama Moose on the camera??

Lots of small whitetail bucks, double daggers etc. Nothing that would make anyone's heart beat faster unless they are hunting for meat.

Plenty of elk on the cameras, in the fields and lots of sign. The herd seems to be holed up on a quarter that the landowner does not give permission to hunt. Some logic there I suppose if you were an elk.

I'm no expert on elk and for the first while I was wondering if perhaps the cougars had the elk walking around in silence? Not sure if that happens or not? But the last three nights or so they have been bugling like crazy so that lets the air out of that theory.

Just everyone be aware that we have a healthy, seemingly large, cougar population out here so conduct yourselves accordingly.
Regards,
Dave
I was doing a calling sequence last week and it brought in a cougar..... And I know I am not the only one that this has happend to.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 AM

Default x2 elk call cougar

I was out revisiting a herd I was after a few weeks back last Saturday and the bulls were not bugling so tried some cow calling. Sounded sexy to a monster cougar, what had zero fear of me as I screamed at him to beat it. In pounce position, 80 yds I decided that was quite a threatening stance so I filled his face with dirt from the .308 blast in front of him. He was not even really too spooked. Quick jitter, then a turn and prance away. That was a fund walk out to a nice open area.

I haven't really considered calling in a predator before but my eyes are open now. Never was much of a predator hunter but after so many stories of encounters and deaths, coupled with the simple math of Grizz populations not being hunted and that are growing, I wonder how many more of these stories we need to hear before predators officially become a SRD problem that we are asked to assist with.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby902 View Post
I was out revisiting a herd I was after a few weeks back last Saturday and the bulls were not bugling so tried some cow calling. Sounded sexy to a monster cougar, what had zero fear of me as I screamed at him to beat it. In pounce position, 80 yds I decided that was quite a threatening stance so I filled his face with dirt from the .308 blast in front of him. He was not even really too spooked. Quick jitter, then a turn and prance away. That was a fund walk out to a nice open area.

I haven't really considered calling in a predator before but my eyes are open now. Never was much of a predator hunter but after so many stories of encounters and deaths, coupled with the simple math of Grizz populations not being hunted and that are growing, I wonder how many more of these stories we need to hear before predators officially become a SRD problem that we are asked to assist with.
Glad to hear it all worked out for you . It gets a lot spookier when the cat gets to 6 paces before you see em ,not to metion the one behind you . I'm sure we all have called in preds that we don't even know about .Probably best that way , and don't tell the wife ,she has enough on her mind already .