Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 AM

Default Dog Stand

I'm just curious what everyone here uses as a dog stand, for in the marsh. The purpose built ones made by Avery and such seem pretty flimsy, and with a $170 price tag I don't really feel like ponying that up if someone has a better suggestion.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM

I have one I made from a truck inner tube. I covered it tightly in heavy canvas and my dog can sit on it anywhere in the marsh and it is very portable & light weight. I tie some cord on it and just drag it behind me when I go in. Leave an opening near the valve stem so you can put air in it. I put the cover on when the tube is pumped up but not 100%., then I add more air and it makes it really taunt. I have used it for my last 2 dogs and they both love it.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 PM

Great idea! How stable is it in the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
I have one I made from a truck inner tube. I covered it tightly in heavy canvas and my dog can sit on it anywhere in the marsh and it is very portable & light weight. I tie some cord on it and just drag it behind me when I go in. Leave an opening near the valve stem so you can put air in it. I put the cover on when the tube is pumped up but not 100%., then I add more air and it makes it really taunt. I have used it for my last 2 dogs and they both love it.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Great idea! How stable is it in the water?
I guess it depends on how big your dog is. I don' t have avery big inner tube , it worked very well for my old dog a 60 lb female lab and now works equally well with my 45 lb female Springer. I have been using the same tube since 1990. At the 4end of the season I let the air out, fold it up & store it till next season.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Bests one's I've ever made where from discarded pallets. Squeeze Styrofoam into the pallet and attach a rope/chain for a weight.
Drag it into a marsh and wedge it into a stand of whatever grows in the marsh. Cover it with whatever foliage is available. Come hunten season these tend to become natural areas for muskrats and birds. Great sturdy/dry place for your dog(s). Easy enough to move also.
The reason I went this route was because I usually hunted off actual muskrat mounds. Unfortunately, they were not always in the best shooten spots.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM

MOmarsh invisilab

www.momarsh.com
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerman View Post
This is ingenious, deals with the problem of different depths of water completely and easy to pack. Not to mention its lasted you so long. Thank you, I'll be slamming one together this weekend.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Got a pic?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 AM

I use a jet sled for my dog. I can haul out all my gear in it, set up my decoys and get ready. Then the sled becomes a boat for her. B
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie View Post
MOmarsh invisilab

www.momarsh.com
X 2 best thing I ever got for the dog