Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Help with Ruffies

So it's my buddies first year hunting and I'm really trying to find some birds for him. We've spent about 3 days on the forestry trunk, highway 68 in Kananaskis and the powderface and haven't seen a single bird. We've been sticking to dirt roads, cut lines and gravel roads. When my dad and I used to go for birds, we'd always see them on gravel roads, so I figured that's a good place to be, however it hasn't been producing at all. Is it still too early for them to be out of the forest? Should we be bushwhacking?. Also, what time of the day would they be most active?

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Default birdies

Tough to see this time of year, still eating berries etc. In a few more weeks when the grass and leaves are down it's golden. Usually find them on the road sdie later in the afternoon picking gravel. Or if you find clover on road side or well sites, take a close look, they love clover
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

On Sunday I tried my luck in Kananaskis as well on 68 and powderface, however there was a baracade on powderface for a road closure due to flooding. We got one spruce grouse on a random dirt road but no ruffies. Saturday I spent a few hours walking around old quad trails northwest of Sundre and found a few ruffed in the bushes but they weren't anywhere near a gravel road. One of them I heard way off in the bush making noise, so I followed the sound and found it. From what I've been reading and my own experience now, they're still in the forest.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 AM

This early in the year you definitely have to go to them. I've found a few overgrown equestrian and quad trails with some boxwood and berry bushes near poplar and birch stands that pay off smartly, but unless you've got a four - legged helper you're the one that needs to rattle the bushes a bit to flush them.

I don't know if some would call it cheating, but I find tossing branches (deadfall) into the heavy stuff helps to flush the stubborn ones. I've got a number of bunnies and ruffies this way. Usually I go solo.

Colin
Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroOokami View Post
On Sunday I tried my luck in Kananaskis as well on 68 and powderface, however there was a baracade on powderface for a road closure due to flooding. We got one spruce grouse on a random dirt road but no ruffies. Saturday I spent a few hours walking around old quad trails northwest of Sundre and found a few ruffed in the bushes but they weren't anywhere near a gravel road. One of them I heard way off in the bush making noise, so I followed the sound and found it. From what I've been reading and my own experience now, they're still in the forest.
We walked the whole road after the closure to the bridge following the river, still no luck. Maybe we will wait a few weeks, can't take another blow to the manhood coming home empty handed haha Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like theyre still pretty deep.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM

Was out west of water valley this past weekend. Got 1 within 5 minutes and never saw another after hiking 6ish miles... That was the most well travelled, dead bird.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 PM

I've seen them on the northern end of Powderface while xc skiing it. Thinking about taking the mountain bike and slinging a .22.

I went up Powderface Ridge last night hoping to see a dusky or spruce but came up empty.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 PM

I hunt all over Highway 68 and all the dirt roads around there. I have 12 grouse in three trips this year out there so far since September 8th. I suggest not even bothering road hunting for birds out there. Way too much traffic. There are tons of birds out there but you need to be on foot and need to know where to look.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I hunt all over Highway 68 and all the dirt roads around there. I have 12 grouse in three trips this year out there so far since September 8th. I suggest not even bothering road hunting for birds out there. Way too much traffic. There are tons of birds out there but you need to be on foot and need to know where to look.
We havent really seen any dirt roads to be honest (other than powderface). We were looking for some off 68, but no luck, just trees and hills
Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 PM

I found Ruffies in Crowsnest Pass, and West Castle valley sometimes by driving around, but mostly multi mile hikes with my English Setter hunting 'em up... it'll happen, just keep at it
Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 PM

Slow down. Way down. I mean crawl. Its almost impossible to see them now cause they still have cover and with cover they don't move unless you are almost stopped when you pass them. I usually roll down both windows and listen for them and hear grouse before I see them, but that only works later on when the leaves are crunchy.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:19 PM

we hunted all weekend for grouse.sat we saw at least 15 spruces on the little gravel roads,trails ,we took 2,we saw only 4 ruffs,got 3,sun.there was lots of spruces,saw a group of 5 ruffs..i got one with the 20 gauge.the rest flushed into the trees.i could hear them but no way i could find them.i was there 1/2 hr.we mostly rode quad.later in the day by truck.it will be easier soon.the spruces taste good right now full of berries.we also saw a bull moose on sat up close.then on sun. i saw 3 grizzlies.sow and 1 cub.later 1 lone grizzly.no time for pics.they scattered in a couple secs.a great weekend in grande cache.we still have allot of moose from our good fortune last year. so ill leave the big game alone this year and enjoy the birds.

Last edited by Pierroy; 09-21-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Ruffles

I've been hiking the mountains a lot this year and I've seen a lot of ruffles and spruce grouse. It's going to be a great year if you're into hunting these guys.