Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Default Archaeology Interest?

Hi All,

I'm an archaeologist with Tree Time Services and just wanted to gauge the interest of the members of this forum in archaeology. We have been trying to generate more public interest in archaeology through "road shows" throughout northern Alberta over the past year. We recently had a booth at the High Prairie gun show. We have done "Stones and Bones" events in Slave Lake and Lac La Biche. These events are to talk about the work we do in the area and for local people to bring in artifacts and bones they have found for us to identify. We will be having one in Sundre in a few weeks.

We also sponsor annual flintknapping workshops through the Strathcona Archaeological Society if anyone is interested in learning how to manufacture stone tools and arrowheads.

To learn more check us out on facebook: Tree Time Services - Archaeology

Or we have a blog site:

https://treetimearchaeology.wordpress.com/
Old 05-04-2016, 05:53 PM

So you are a forum sponsor looking for work or non profit volunteering to educate. Lots of scouting, girl guides and 4-H groups would love a free speaker.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM

We have done talks at schools. But not through boy scouts or girl guides which I think is a great idea!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTime-Archaeology View Post
We have done talks at schools. But not through boy scouts or girl guides which I think is a great idea!
Contact the Alberta Fish and Game Association. www.afga.org

Many of their clubs would be interested.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 PM

Sundre museum is holding an Archaeology road show May 21, 1-5, including lecture and an atlatl demo.

Grizz
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Haha ya, that's us. Hope to see you there!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Just curious, do you have permission from Alberta Culture to display detailed site locations on your website?
I was under the impression that isn't allowed.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Banned

I spend many hours walking tilled fields looking down....
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 AM

We are not allowed to reveal the locations of known sites but we can talk about the general locations.

And yes, we have lots of farmers bring in artifacts they find in tilled field.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM

I remember 20+ yrs ago. One of the roughnecks on a rig near Drumheller. He was walking around lease looking for artifacts. Drilling surface he found some artifacts over the shaker. We were North side of Drum on top hill.
Remember drill crew from down in Cardston. They discovered Some Bones along the milk river.

PB43
Old 05-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Archaeology

I took a look at your link, very interesting.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:39 PM

I am becoming more and more interested in this stuff, but haven't found anything to bring in. I would live to find a old arrowhead or something cool like that with so much history.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
X2 After a good rain storm.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Got some bison bones I plan on bringing by, my schedule permitting.

Grizz
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Very interested myself, also environmental history of western Canada and USA.
Recently listen to Dan Flores on the meateater podcast #33. I am hooked!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Checked out TreeTime's website and enjoyed the site. Great content.

Alberta definitely has a very colorful past. I wish more people would have an interest because it might give them a better perspective. We call the America's the new land but in reality ...not so much. The province has had at least a hundred of centuries of human inhabitants.

I know of a place worthy of an archeological investigation. The place has an old feeling to it. First time I sat down on a rock there I realized the whole side of the rock was a dinosaur skin imprint. A friend discovered several dinosaur footprints in the area. Even a mastodon tooth. And within a mile there has been countless stone tool artifacts found. Even a whole 10,000 year old bison was found near there. There are things there from almost every epoch and era. And it is only a few minutes from Edmonton's corporate limits.

I really don't understand the glaciation theory because of this place. How did glaciation miss this place? It would seem if this area was covered by a 1 mile thick moving block of ice 10K years ago this area would have been scoured clean but this place still looks like a triceratops could come around the corner with a stone age hunter chasing it.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Alberta definitely has a very colorful past. I wish more people would have an interest because it might give them a better perspective. We call the America's the new land but in reality ...not so much. The province has had at least a hundred of centuries of human inhabitants.

I know of a place worthy of an archeological investigation. The place has an old feeling to it. First time I sat down on a rock there I realized the whole side of the rock was a dinosaur skin imprint. A friend discovered several dinosaur footprints in the area. Even a mastodon tooth. And within a mile there has been countless stone tool artifacts found. Even a whole 10,000 year old bison was found near there. There are things there from almost every epoch and era. And it is only a few minutes from Edmonton's corporate limits.

I really don't understand the glaciation theory because of this place. How did glaciation miss this place? It would seem if this area was covered by a 1 mile thick moving block of ice 10K years ago this area would have been scoured clean but this place still looks like a triceratops could come around the corner with a stone age hunter chasing it.
Parts of Alberta, like around Cadomin and Cyprus Hills apparently were missed by the glaciers. Islands in the stream.

Grizz
Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Parts of Alberta, like around Cadomin and Cyprus Hills apparently were missed by the glaciers. Islands in the stream.

Grizz
The ice free corridor. I'm so thankful to live where I do.... Endless adventures looking for Dino bones to stone tools.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Smile Flint?

Where can you find flint in Alberta. So far I have had zero luck.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Where can you find flint in Alberta. So far I have had zero luck.
I don't think you can find it here.

Chert is the local knapping Rock.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:33 PM

Most of stuff we find is made from quartzites and cherts. In the northeast beaver river silicified sandstone was really popular around the Fort Mac area.

We do find some exotic materials like knife river flint but that would have been traded/transported here from the Dakotas. There is even some instances of obsidian artifacts being found but they are a lot more rare. Todd Kristensen, who works for Alberta Culture, has been trying to track down all the obsidian artifacts to source which volanic deposits they came from.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:09 PM

Obsidian research website here , https://albertashistoricplaces.wordp...idian-project/

BC has some obsidian sources and jade too .

Mount Edziza obsidian in Northern BC was traded into Alberta

https://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/exhi...ntain_1_4a.php
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTime-Archaeology View Post
Most of stuff we find is made from quartzites and cherts. In the northeast beaver river silicified sandstone was really popular around the Fort Mac area.

We do find some exotic materials like knife river flint but that would have been traded/transported here from the Dakotas. There is even some instances of obsidian artifacts being found but they are a lot more rare. Todd Kristensen, who works for Alberta Culture, has been trying to track down all the obsidian artifacts to source which volanic deposits they came from.
It was my understanding that much came from the obsidian mountain deposit in Yellowstone. From their website, and my visit this comes:
Obsidian Cliff obsidian can be found in archeological sites from the Middle Rockies into western Canada, across the Great Plains into the Midwest, as well as the Columbia Plateau, and possibly the Great Basin. By using trace-and bulk-element geochemistry techniques, archaeologists can trace obsidian artifacts to known geological sources. Obsidian from Obsidian Cliff was imported and utilized for ceremonial purposes by peoples of the Hopewell Culture in the Ohio River valley from around 1,600 to 2,200 years ago.

http://wyoshpo.state.wy.us/NationalR...te.aspx?ID=494

EDIT:

I just took a look at the GOA site, and see that they say much the same.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Great info guys. Thank you for posting these websites.

I know of one place in Alberta you can find obsidian. Second floor west Edmonton mall in the rock and fossil shop. Not too expensive.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
I know about Cypress Hills and and Cadomin but this area is about 20 miles from downtown Edmonton as the bird flies, which was an area supposedly under glaciation and then became part of Lake Edmonton 10K years ago. And this area almost looks like the badlands south of Drumheller in a tiny way.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

If you did not contact the Tyrell Museum about your find, you should. They are the go to guys in Alberta on fossils, and issue the permits if other sanctioned groups do the work.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can find it here.

Chert is the local knapping Rock.
Although river cobble and chert are widely used throughout the province as the most available lithic... Knife river flint tools are found in lots of places, validating the large trade routes amongst prehistoric tribes. I have found many tools made of knife river chalcedony (only quarried in one place in North Dakota)

Most of my flint finds are from east central Alberta

I have yet to find tools made of knife river flint this far north! But I am sure they are around.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Me too. I would rather find the originals from thousands of years ago that learn to make fakes.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

I found this worked bone on the Kakwa River last year.

No clue what it was used for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

The other side is worked smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.3 KB, 34 views)