Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Default #1 Pike Bait through the ice.

What is the #1 bait for Pike through the ice..my fishing partner says anchovies.. I say smelts. Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM

I have heard Jack Mackeral. I have always used Smelts and the have never let me down.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 PM

12" Herring.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
12" Herring.
Yep.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 PM

I've heard sardines are good because they are extra oily. Tried a sardine on a tipup the other day with no such luck...

For me the 5 of Diamonds has never let me down. Even without putting any bait on it.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Catch a Walleye and leave him hooked on. Then just wait for that monster Pike to come along. Just kidding, had to give everyone a little bit of an increase in the old blood pressure.

I like using monster size Herring and lay them rite on bottom. This works best for me in the summer.

Dodger.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
What is the #1 bait for Pike through the ice..my fishing partner says anchovies.. I say smelts. Any thoughts?
I have to agree on smelts for tip ups 5 of Diamonds etc.almost anything that moves in front of them .There was this one time at sandy lake many many years ago i seen a guy put on a bare hook a broken yellow balloon I thought he was nut's not even ten min later he had a pike You never know.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Pike bait ????? people actually fish for those things on purpose

Sorry guys had to throw it in there
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
12" Herring.

X3
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
jrs

Depends where i am. Really shallow weedy lakes i like to use 8-10'' suckers, longnose preferred as they're a bit skinnier and the pike can swallow them a bit better.
Clear lakes with a relatively flat bottom (limited cover), big old smelt (as big as i can find).
I usually fish a line with a massive spoon jigging aggressively (no bait, it just falls off), will usually out fish the tip ups 3-1 when the average pike is 4-5 lbs. A big chunk of squid can help when the bites tough (tough enough it stays on, stinky enough to provide lots of scent). Biggest pike I've caught jigging a spoon through the ice is only about 8 lbs, most that break the 10lb mark hit the big sucker. Biggest one i ever had on however was on a smelt tipped spoon in 4 feet of water so you never know (that was the last time i fished with spider wire through the ice).
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM

I don't like to complicate things, I am yet to find a lake that jackfish turn away from a smelt on a good ol' norwegian. I find on the camera that a horizontal smelt presentation is 100 times better than vertical. I like to bring them under the shack with the ruby wiggler and twist my smelt lines so they spin. It drives the snot rockets crazy and they just hammer the smelt.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Pike bait ????? people actually fish for those things on purpose

Sorry guys had to throw it in there
I'm starting to think you're pike-ist
Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I was using a hotdog once for a joke and had a pretty good bite on it. to bad I was at a different hole at the time and missed him. Other than that I catch them on shinners, smelts and sardines
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Ive caught pike on all of it, buy I really like the herring. The big eye is a huge turn on, and they are a great whitefish immitation. But there is one downside to them, they are shaped like a whitefish, deep and thin. I use tandem trebles, one at the extreme end of the tail with two hooks burried, and the other at the head with either one or two hooks {depending on wind} hooked under gill plate and bottom jaw area, on the opposite side of the bait from the other treble. Even rigged in this way, ive found, it can be tough to get iron into them on quick strikes. It seems these deeper bodied baits dont like to crush as easily, allowing the hooks to get exposed and get it done. Its kind of a give take i guess, a great immitation style bait with a big eye, but tough to get the iron at em during hook set. I also like the fact that they have those large reflective mirrors for scales, like a whitefish again for sure. Any little breeze and my traps are giving just enough movement to flash any available light down there. They are just a solid, dead presentation, and pretty tough to beat.....Unless your a smelt.
All in all though, i dont really think it matters, hang the steak over the right water, and there aint too many sharks gonna be saying no.

keep a strain on er.

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-23-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: losing my marbles.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

i started using pickled eggs when i ran out of smelts once been using them ever since that day back in the early ninties and i can have a snack if i need to the misses keeps a few jars made all the time i was fishing with Billy Sunchild up on candle lake sask and i cut one in his shack he doesnt let me eat pickled eggs when i am fishing with him
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
i started using pickled eggs when i ran out of smelts once been using them ever since that day back in the early ninties and i can have a snack if i need to the misses keeps a few jars made all the time i was fishing with Billy Sunchild up on candle lake sask and i cut one in his shack he doesnt let me eat pickled eggs when i am fishing with him
only you Wilbur

AKA MAVERICK
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
O.K this is F@cked
Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 AM

I like the 6" to 8" herring on a quick strike rig and some powdered garlic I found it will out fish a plain herring 2 to 1 most times. Also seen a guy use pike fins on a jig and he was out fishing me 2 to 1. Always find that if you leave your bait sit every ten or so minutes give it a couple of tugs up and down and most times I have something hit it just after that.

That's my 2 cents
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Ok lets start an ethical debate on Wilbur Gasing fish and fishing partners
I agree with others if there's nothing fishy about Wilbur fine, but you can bet your ***** something STINKS