Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Default Bonavista

They finally opened it up for ice fishing today! Will be out there tomorrow and let you know how I do!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Well.......how did ya make out Carson?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 PM

I think his younger brother always catches more and bigger fish than Carson
I would bet he caught a couple of good sized ones yesterday or today.... come on Carson... give us the goods..
Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM

I think I ran into his(Carsons) younger brother out there he came up to my shack. He said Saturday was better fishing than Sunday. Saturday they caught about 30 and he lost one about 10 pounds at the hole.

Sunday was pretty good for me I caught eight but they were all in around 2-3 pounds nothing big showed up but I figure that was my fault I got out to late in the day. This time last year we had several over 5 pounds with 10 being the biggest at the expense of losing a rod down the hole I would hate to know how big he was. I should have some pictures up soon I hope over the next couple weeks with some of the hogs that call that lake home
Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Default Where on the lake can you fish

Is fishing only allowed at the island this year ....we use to fish at the pump house with good success .
Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Is fishing only allowed at the island this year ....we use to fish at the pump house with good success .
I have lived here for 3 years and I've never seen it allowed for fishing at the pump house on ice, only around the island.

I've heard that at the end of the season some members were allowed to ice fish anywhere after all the rinks and the skating path was closed down but I haven't personally tried it.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I've been out there the last 4 days in a row and I can honestly say tha there aren't as many big ones as last year... Yes I did have a big one up the hole but not the numbers were used to seeing this time of year!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM

And I believe I'm the one who ussually catches the big ones! Saddleup!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:16 PM

I might see you out there tomorrow, finally have some time to get out. I only had one big one last year which I caught in like 2 FOW right next to the dock at the island. I'm hoping to double my result from last year!

But I also did get a very tasty brookie last year too that I doubt I'll be able to repeat this year.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Well here are two fish we kept the fishing has been great. We released many others averaging 4-5 pounds. I know there are 15+ pounder's in there its just a matter of time, I will post them when it happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zebber.jpg (89.8 KB, 252 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Well here are two fish we kept the fishing has been great. We released many others averaging 4-5 pounds. I know there are 15+ pounder's in there its just a matter of time, I will post them when it happens.
Nice fish!!!!!! You really need a suntan on that face though!!!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
How big were those? I'm guessing they were about 4-6 pounds?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM

That's my dad holding the fish that's why I blanked out the face The largest was near ten pounds the other around 6. Not the best picture really they look smaller in it. I will post my 10+ pounder's when I get them later this season. I wouldn't mind snapping up a few big brook trout this winter as well from the lake.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
That's my dad holding the fish that's why I blanked out the face The largest was near ten pounds the other around 6. Not the best picture really they look smaller in it. I will post my 10+ pounder's when I get them later this season. I wouldn't mind snapping up a few big brook trout this winter as well from the lake.
Do you know if they put in brook trout last year? I've only ever caught one before and I'm pretty sure that it was just an accidental escapee at the hatchery. I've seen hundreds of fish on my camera in the last few years, no brookies or perch (thank goodness), just a lot of rainbows, some pretty big, some suckers and some bait fish which I have yet to figure out what they are.

What was working for you last time? I seem to get some aggressive trout come around almost every time I change up my lure/bait but I haven't been able to find anything really consistent. Yesterday it seemed everyone was having pretty good success with cooked shrimp.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 PM

beauties
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM

If your going for Mr Big then small gulp minnows on a jig head fished just above the weed beds.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
That's my dad holding the fish that's why I blanked out the face The largest was near ten pounds the other around 6. Not the best picture really they look smaller in it.