Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Chinese UTV's

Anybody had any experience with these. I was wondering if anybody could give me some details on reliability, part availability and what brand you have.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

I have no personal experience with them, but I have heard the reliability is not that great on most Chinese OHV's.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Basically it comes down to you get what you pay for. I looked at them but spent the extra money and bought a rhino.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

A friend of mine USED to import Chinese ATV's. He had dealers throughout western Canada.

Inconsistent quality was his number one problem. He visited the factory a couple of times to resolve, but the problem was the factory would use a different sub on almost every shipment.

He never knew what would be the next problem.

It got so bad that he quit bringing them in, as it just was not worth the hassle.

BTW, he told me he would see the same models at Costco and Canadian Tire.

Unless you are just using them locally and can fix things your self, stay away from them.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:40 PM

I have an odes 400. It is almost identical to the 2001 honda ranchers!I have over 2700 km on mine only issue new battery and thats it! Parts are all over 4 places in edmonton alone! I get my oil filters from honda,and plugs! thing pulled a moose out of the bush last year when my buddies $13000 Can-am wouldn't start! It was -30 but it won't start at -20 either!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM

They are very hit and miss due to lack of QC you can get ones that will be great and others that are a nightmare, they buy worn out molds and patents off bigger name companies to make parts so they are starting with the stuff that was at the end of its service for the more expensive guys. As you see a lot of them are honda or yamaha clones. Id say if your not into anything extreme and arent doing any crazy long treks buy one and save some cash but if you need something to rely on in the deep bush spend the money on a brand name.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Many of the major parts are available, but some specific parts can be very difficult, if not impossible to locate. A friend purchased a smaller chinese atv for his children, and he was not able to locate some parts that failed. He did manage to jury rig some replacement parts, but he invested a lot of time and effort to keep the atv running.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:21 PM

I tried to talk my friend out of it

He spent $2400 on a kids quad. Chinese knock off

His kids put 1.5 hours on it, then it stalled. He thought it was out of gas. He got up to it and thought the motor was unusually hot.....

Cooked the motor. Oil wasnt getting around. It was a manufacture defect, but he still hasnt got it fixed. 2 months now.

For $3200 he could have got a Polaris kids quad. But he saved $800.....
Old 08-17-2011, 06:07 PM

There are a few around here that now have useless lawn ornaments!
It is easy to sell cheap stuff when you don't need to concern yourself with proper dealerships that provide parts and customer service. And when you build it, you simply copy instead of spending resources on research and development.
If one doesn't want to spend $$$$'s for a new unit, maybe keep an eye out for a good well kept used unit that has a reputable brand name.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM

only a couple of versions usually availble...only in combo A, combo B, and combo C!
delivered is included if you buy more than seating for four!

you like order now?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Since my Pa is getting to old for a quad , he thought he would take one of those for a test drive, he could not even back onto his trailer with it, no power something slipping. Maybe made for flat ground ? Not worth it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM

don't ride alone any farther than you want to walk back.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 PM

Stay away from them. Sure you might luck out and get one that is OK but odds are you won't. I bought one of those small quads at Chinadian Tire for one of my boys.....clutch piled up on it the other day....78km's on the meter.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks guys. I would not personally buy one but a friend of mine is convinced he should buy one. He even sold the knock off kid quads for awhile and knows the issues they can have. He is fixated on the price but I've told him that he'll have to replace every bolt in that thing and make sure it never rolls cause the cage will likely crumple like paper.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 AM

I bought a 110cc Gio kid quad for $420 delivered to my house. It is definately lower quality but for a young kid that's going to out grow it in a couple years its perfect. If you have any mechanical aptitude they are easy to maintain and keep running.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM

I heard Crappy tire will just swap them out if they break. Still not worth the chance.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Best Kids ATV's

E-Ton has made about the best youth ATV for the last 10 years.
Some are made in Taiwan not China..There is a big difference.

Last edited by Almer Fudd; 08-18-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Is like Somy and Panafonic tv's from outlet stores, you get what you pay for. Avoid like the plague.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

The Chinese figured out about 2 decades ago...that people in North America were more impressed by "cheap" than "quality", we have become a throw away society, whatever piece of crap we buy, coffe makers, microwaves,etc, etc, etc, we DON'T expect them to last more than a year. Thusly, a huge amount of jobs have gone overseas to support their industry, building products of North American design. This is one reason I will not set foot in Wal-Mart, defy you to find a product in there that is not made in China.Buy their junk and enjoy....I will not

Ther Rant Over!!!!... think I'm still PO'd cause Redfrog taunts me about going fishing....or dog training...or something ....while I'm WORKING
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=hal53;1050318]The Chinese figured out about 2 decades ago...that people in North America were more impressed by "cheap" than "quality", we have become a throw away society, whatever piece of crap we buy, coffe makers, microwaves,etc, etc, etc, we DON'T expect them to last more than a year. Thusly, a huge amount of jobs have gone overseas to support their industry, building products of North American design. This is one reason I will not set foot in Wal-Mart, defy you to find a product in there that is not made in China.Buy their junk and enjoy....I will not[QUOTE]

x2. one reason why we were in a ression
Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The Chinese figured out about 2 decades ago...that people in North America were more impressed by "cheap" than "quality", we have become a throw away society, whatever piece of crap we buy, coffe makers, microwaves,etc, etc, etc, we DON'T expect them to last more than a year. Thusly, a huge amount of jobs have gone overseas to support their industry, building products of North American design. This is one reason I will not set foot in Wal-Mart, defy you to find a product in there that is not made in China.Buy their junk and enjoy....I will not

Ther Rant Over!!!!... think I'm still PO'd cause Redfrog taunts me about going fishing....or dog training...or something ....while I'm WORKING
Canadian Tire is worse. Should be called Chinese Tire.
Everything in a Walmart or Canadian Tire will be in a landfill within 3 years!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Please don't waste your money on them no matter what the dealer tells you, I bought a Panterra UTV full payment now I would like to get them in a boxing ring with me. I pretty much gave it to a friend who just uses it to run around his yard when he can get it running. Now I have Arctic Cats.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM

A few months ago I was ATV shopping and I stopped by a local dealer that mostly sold Arctic Cat and Yamaha.

Strolling through the warehouse I stuck my head under a shelf and behind the first row of ATVs were a couple of those chinese ones with the Canadian Tire price tags still on them. I asked the owner about them and he said Canadian Tire sent them over because they were defective right off the truck

Trouble was they couldn't order parts to fix the worthless things. He went on to tell me about a friend of his, who managed a Candadian Tire, who got so fed up with those models that he used a forklift to throw them all in a dumpster and be done with them

Also I've had my own brushes with Chinese counterfeit products. Once bought a wire stripper at Walmart, I forget what the brand was. On the first use I CRUSHED the damm thing in my hand. I'm not the Incredible Hulk; the stupid knock-off was as strong as a block of cheese

My favourite story about that is one I saw on 20/20 a few years ago. A family bought some of those bubble Christmas lights you sometimes see on trees. Turned out the clear fluid inside them was paint thinner. They burst in the mother's face and half blinded her. Pretty amazing the things that turn out to be dangerous....

As for ATVs I ended up buying a Can-Am