Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Default Father, Daughter and Sons...fabulous fishing trip!

I have always wished to bond with my kids over a fishing trip. This year's school schedule gave me that opportunity so we had the pleasure of getting out to Langara Fishing Lodge at the end of August.

The kids got their first helicopter rides! They were able to ride shotgun and it was great for them!

I was unsure how the kids would fare as they are not fishing fanatics. It turned out exceptional as their was enough variety in fishing that they always finished the day wanting to keep fishing. The lodge went out of their way. They had short bath robes for hot tub visits, kids sized life jackets and the kitchen made them what ever they wanted to eat...even home made chicken fingers and fries! My children said the chicken fingers were the best ever and that the breakfast waffles and pancakes never tasted better. Thanks to Chef Chuck and his awesome team! The Coho Cafe staff also did an awesome job. Snacks and treats galore! The store had some great kids clothing which we had to pick up a souvenir.

On the docks the staff always helped the kids into and out of the boat. They even went out of their way to rig up special dock fishing rods to keep the kids happy catching fish any time of day.

Our guide Dave Car was exceptional. He let the kids be kids. He talked one on one with them about different things and provided great responses to questions. He was charming, attentive and thoughtful to the kids needs. He let them be kids on the boat and even hammed around with them. The kids played with bull kelp he pulled into the boat. It was great to see him mindful of safety...but also let them enjoy themselves. Great job Dave...by the way...my daughter misses hearing you call her adorable. :-).

My son picked up some of Dave's voices...as those two are very similar they got along great. Both are great entertainers! Dave also put us on lots of fish. All my kids reeled in salmon, rockfish and halibut on their own. Dave was never far away but he let the kids do what they felt comfortable doing. He even taught them how to drive the boat and taught my daughter how to prepare cut plug herring!

Dave also made sure the trip was not boring. We fished in nice areas with calmer water and nice scenery and even out on the west side. We were lucky with great weather and the kids never needed sea sick remedies. He took us to see deer on the shore, sealions on rocks and when whales made an appearance he took the time to let the kids observe their feeding on needlefish. We watched seabirds attacking a needlefish bait ball.

Dave also gave us a special visit to a secluded beach. We got dropped off by a zodiac and walked along 3 beaches. The kids super enjoyed beach combing and we saw hundreds and hundreds of Japanese fishing floats. We talked about how cool finding stuff was but at the same time how tragic the tsunami was for Japan. While there was tons of debris on the beach...high floating debris...the bulk of the debris field is to hit the coast next year. That will be interesting and also a major environmental mess. Still we did bring back some fishing floats to remember the beach combing adventure!

Please note that no beer was harmed in this photos...it is for fun only.

On the way home the pilots of the plane we were on let the kids visit the cockpit. They thought it was really cool.

In the end on a scale of 1-10 for kid friendliness with 10 the highest...Langara Fishing Lodge is a 15! I would highly recommend taking your kids here.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Great to hear the trip went well. Thanks for sharing your story and supplementing it with fantastic pictures. I really should get out to the West coast one of these years.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Great to hear the trip went well. Thanks for sharing your story and supplementing it with fantastic pictures. I really should get out to the West coast one of these years.
I hope you do. Your writing is way better than mine!

Cheers

Sun
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up

Fantastic stuff, Kevin!
That's what it's all about, right there.
Thanks for taking us along!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Awesome post. I never get tired of seeing kids with smiles showing there fish.
Dodger.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 PM

The best thing is they will fish from time to time...not all day but a bit here and a bit there. On this trip...the only complaint came when I said it was time to stop fishing.

All the kids reeled in all fish on their own. Biggest fish were 19 lb halibut and 18 lb chinooks but still great jobs.

I let them fight most fish and only reeled in a couple when they all went to the front of the boat to watch whales. When my daughter saw she hurried back to try and take the rod but another fish bit on the second rod and she took it from the guide. I thought it was a pink but after netting my 8 lb coho we realized she had just fought a 11 lb coho to the side of the boat. She said..."Dave...the fish is ready to net"

Priceless!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM

NIce job DAD
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Sounds like a great trip. Glad the kids had so many fun experiences. I'm sure they will have stories to tell for weeks. Can't wait to hear them. Good trip planning Kevin!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Quality trip with the kids. Good stuff!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Awesome trip

nice pix looks like it was fun btw i already looked up the lodge
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 AM

great trip kevin.i hit the west coast for the first time myself this year and miss it already love it.one thing i really loved about my fishing charter trip was the entire week i was there not a single mosquito bite. lol
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannacast View Post
nice pix looks like it was fun btw i already looked up the lodge
Beautiful area.

Here are a few more pics

This is some artwork from another lodge. Just thought it made a nice picture while we had a tour.

Interesting rock formations and erosional features. Most of the Queen Charlottes is igneous rock in nature. Basalt of some form or another with metamorphic rock and some bits of sedimentary rock.

These are Goose Neck barnacles attached to a large log that was washed up on shore at the last high tide. They were still wriggling around.

Found a bunch of abalone shells that the otters had dragged up on shore. There seems to be mainly river otters out in this area with the odd lone male sea otter. I have not seen a sea otter here yet.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM

Few more photos

Deer the size of german sheppards. Hunting licence allows for 5 a day...15 possession

Kids first helicopter ride in Helijet. Great company...smooth ride!

Common Murre are all over

Daughter's first halibut...reeled up on her own!

Another deer

Sealions are cool to see and hear. They are a noisy bunch.

Humpback Whales are everywhere

39 lb Chinook caught by a buddy.

Scenery that rivals Jurassic Park.

Photo looking south towards Langara Fishing Lodge

Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Langara

Phenomenal photos & story, looks like a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing !!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Looks like it was an excellent experience! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Those children of yours of are going to have some wicked stories to tell their buddies when they get back to school.

Thanks again
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM

few more photos.

first helicopter ride

Yes Mom...Dad let's us fly!

Photo of LIII. LII is to the right of the photo and LI burned down long ago. These lodges are usually made of wood so one has to be very careful about fire.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Grats Dad Priceless .. wow very nice pic's and stories.. great road trip 2012

David
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Awesome! I'll bet its one your kids will never forget. Nice pics!

I recognize that one rock, I think they call it key hole rock or somthing like that. Not sure if you did but there is a great pebble beach further in on your right. Landed the boat there a couple of time for a quick lunch break. I'll have to get back up there in the near future.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Awesome! I'll bet its one your kids will never forget. Nice pics!

I recognize that one rock, I think they call it key hole rock or somthing like that. Not sure if you did but there is a great pebble beach further in on your right. Landed the boat there a couple of time for a quick lunch break. I'll have to get back up there in the near future.

Thanks for sharing.
We went to the beach a little ways to the west and did the beachcombing. Lots of debris...mostly foam, bottles and fishing floats. Next year at this time you will find lots of junk as the tsunami debris field makes its way over
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Great pics Sundancefisher!

That is a trip your kids will remember for the rest of their lives.

Thanks for sharing.

This give me something to strive for in the next couple years.

TEH