Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Crawling Valley

Anybody know how the ice is doing at Crawling Valley?should be good after the next week or 2,I hope
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Default No One??

No one lives by there or drives by?? Give me a break!!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 PM

We went out last friday and there was 4 inches and yesturday there was between 6 and 7 inches fishing was fairly constant both times. Were heading out again tommrow. I go on the north end so i cant speek for thickness anywhere else, might be thinner elsewhere. Hope this helps.

jigger
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Hey Jigger, thanks for the response,
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
No one lives by there or drives by?? Give me a break!!
no one lives out there its in the middle of nowhere really, so what do you want broken?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Jigger! I think the shack might be out by wednesday! Watch yourself marlin! lol!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 PM

Right on buck krazy, where abouts on the lake do you put your shack, were normally on the north end.

Last edited by Jigger; 12-13-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Just want 10-12 inches to drive the truck and shack out! We go all over but normally around the islands.....
Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Hey Buck Krazy you ready to put the shack out on tuesday or wendsday, Cant wait! Hey Jigger have you been fishing for pike or everything and what are you catching? any thing of any size yet this season?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM

Duster, we usually go for pike but also go for the burbs and walleye if there around. So far the biggest of the year is 6 pounds, usually we run into some of the medium size fish but everytime we've been out we catch 15-30 hammerhandles, with only a couple in the 4 - 6lb range. In the fall the pike we were catching had suprising numbers of perch, and some bigger ones 8", so im gonna see if i can locate a few of those fattys. Have you heard of anyone catching perch or whities there? Best of luck out there.

Jigger
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Yup I think Tuesday is the day! Only thing I am worried about is all the snow on the lake, anyone have any opinions??
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM

Yeah Jigger actually i do know where some are located I will gladly show you after we are set up because they are right around where we go, seen lots on the camera last but we didnt really try for them, we are putting out our shack on tuesday by the south east side islands so im sure we will run into each other eventually, do you guys have your shack out yet? and do you think the ice will be 10 to 12 inches by then?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Easy Boys, With all the snow we got, the ice doesn't thicken near as quick. I wouldn't drive my truck on the ice just yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Duck hunt, thats for you to say and us to find out Most of the snow should be drifted. I predict 11-14" by tuesday morn. If not I guess you might see me on the news.... oh well
Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM

I come in from drumheller so i and go right onto 561 from hwy 56, and go on a couple back roads that take us right to the lake on the north end so chances are, are spots are far apart, but im not sure. we dont have a shack but we have an old trailer we fixed up and haul out there so if your ever on the north end and see an old trailer or a jeep cherokee, stop over. The ice was between 7 and 8 inches on friday and with this -30 weather you'd think it wouldnt take too long for 11 or 12 inches of ice but you never know.

Jigger
Old 12-14-2008, 07:52 PM

We will be there on tuesday, Got some quads if the ice is too thin for a truck, Our shack is a converted trailor too. you should come check it out it is pretty sweet. If the ice is that thick where you are it has to be at least 10" where we go, probably 12 by tuesday. I am not too worried we are not dummies!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Default Ice Thickness

Would appreciate an ice thickness report as well if you can. Would like to get our shack out as well. Ours is towable but we need to pull ours out so we need a foot for sure to be safe.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM

We went out today near the campground, too cold to walk any further.

The ice in three places was an average of 7 inches thick. We sat in my shack all day with the woodstove going and stayed plenty warm. Fishing was slow.

Is there a better place to launch near the islands?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Cv Launch

There is also an old launch on the east side as well, right on the back of the main islands. We usually use the main launch but see many and the larger permanent shacks usually come and go there. We also fish in front of islands on the west side and access is closer to shore. My FIL likes it better as driving in the middle of the lake freaks him out, but we do sometime fish either side. People also go on from the north end.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 AM

Hey guys, Yes there is launch on the east side of the lake, its not very good but it gets you on to the lake, 4x4 usually needed so no cars, And i will definatly leave an ice report, I personally think the ice will be twice as thick around those islands as it is anywhere else on that lake, Hey fisherman guy could you tell me if there is alot of snow on the lake or is it blowing away, or drifting? We will be driving the truck on with our 700 pound shack so i think we will be okay, Any Comments?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Default cv

went to crawling valley to check the ice on sun, low and behold there is 8 in of ice, good thing i brought the jiffy, drilled 4 holes was there for an hour 3 pike....not too bad seeing how i was just there to see how thick the ice was...hard water season is amoung us......BOUT TIME..BUBBA
Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Hey guys, Yes there is launch on the east side of the lake, its not very good but it gets you on to the lake, 4x4 usually needed so no cars, And i will definatly leave an ice report, I personally think the ice will be twice as thick around those islands as it is anywhere else on that lake, Hey fisherman guy could you tell me if there is alot of snow on the lake or is it blowing away, or drifting? We will be driving the truck on with our 700 pound shack so i think we will be okay, Any Comments?

Hey Duster,

the snow covers more ice than is showing through, approximately 5 to 1.

The deepest drift I clamored thru was about 18 inches. My shack weighs about 200lbs and we were confident in the ice condition. I think I should've heeded the advice I picked up and gone to the north near the islands, but where we were there were no people at all, we heard one diesel drive up in the parking lot but that was it.

I would really like to get out to a spot with a few people near by, just to socialize a lil bit and share stories! maybe a coffee and a bs are in order! If anyone is going out this weekend, I am more than keen on meeting up and cooking up some fish! I also would not mind some directions to this north boat launch, so that I will not have to drag my shack 2 km to location! I will keep my lips sealed as to where it is!!

Drop me a pm and we can make plans!!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:17 AM

Hey FG Im actually heading out here in a couple hours, Ive only been to the north end once and the only way i know how to get there is after you turn off # 1 you want to go left {west} at the first stop sign then you take your first right{north} and you go up there i think its about 10 km you turn right {east} before the small S-curves and just keep heading east, i know its a little bit of back tracking but thats the only way i know how to get there, hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM

Hey All, just got back from an over nighter at CV, we successfully managed to get the shack out, Ice was 12 to 14 inches, We were first truck on lake this year and had no problems at all pulling our trailer out. Had great luck with everything managed about 40 fish in 2 days, will post pics later when i have more time.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Right on Duster! Thanks for the info on the ice, I am happy to know we can drive on! Sounds like a great day!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Heres our pics, Had a blast,

Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Great pictures Duster, Heck of an idea converting an old travel trailer. By the looks of those burbot I hope my quest for burbot at Crawling valley will be fruitfull. By the way do you eat those Burbot and how are they? I'm not much of a fish eater but the wife is...I like Walleye on the open fire and Maybe some Joey's only batter cod!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

Hey J2 well thanks for the comment on the trailer, it actually took a little work to convert it, but it was very successful, the wood burning stove was awesome we slept in it at - 40 no problem, very warm, we took everything else out of the trailer exept the 2 beds and the table,so thats nice to. as for the Burbot, i just tried eating one for the first time last year, and i think it is the best tasting fish you can eat from alberta, And I also just wanted to tell you that it is Catch and Release on the ALL Walleye in Crawling Valley, So therefore all our walleye we catch, go back. Good Luck!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
ogopogoman

nice pics of fish!
I gotta go soon, I'm goin nuts here!
Maybe I'll pull my BBQ unit out there sometime and smoke up some Ribs while fishin...if you smell it in the next few weeks,,,that'll be me...lol....your welcome to sample...lol..
hey, I could bring out my skillet and portable burner and fry up those Ling fer ya's!....lol...nuthin like eatin them right while yer fishin!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Pics look good Duster!!