Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2015, 08:59 PM

Thumbs down Beware Eskimo Ice Augers and Ardisam Inc.

I bought one of these Eskimo Ice Auger pieces of ..... and not even 10 holes later and six outings and the recoil is broken. I checked the warranty and it is void unless the warranty card is received in Wisconsin within 30 days of purchase. What good is a warranty with these ridiculous terms! I took the recoil apart and no wonder it broke, it is all plastic except for the spring and two pins... hot wheel cars and lego are put together better.... and I bought this thing from Cabela's. If I buy another recoil it will break in a short period of time because it is plastic!! Why would they design the recoil in plastic when you're using the thing in the cold??? Shoulda bought a Husky not an Eskimo!!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 PM

Bought a new eskimo this year and its great. Only problem i had was the toggle switch broke up at calling. Must of been 35 below but they would not cover it on warranty. The reason there was no coverage is because i took it off myself. 18 dollars for a new one. Yes the Eskimo warranty is a scam but its a great auger

Last edited by spoons; 03-21-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 PM

Call them, you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

The recoil is a known issue and from what I hear they have a fix.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 AM

I love my eskimo auger. I've had it for 3 seasons now and its never failed me. Always starts right up, even in some pretty frigid conditions! Must be some decent plastic in mine!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM

Bring it in to the lawnmower hospital - they are a warranty service center for Eskimo.

They will have a replacement on hand and will swap it out in 15 minutes while you wait OR exchange or for you so you can do it yourself.

I broke my recoil - those are the choices I was given .... I just went and picked up the part which they either overnighted or had on the shelf already (I called Tuesday, picked up part on Thursday).

I'm not sure where/who you spoke to - for me it was a 2 minute phone call.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM

If you take it lawnmower hosp do not remove the recoil. Take the whole powerhead in. They wont cover it if you do anything yourself. Been there and got burnedb
Old 03-22-2015, 11:20 AM

A husky auger is dbl the price and yes awesome machines eskimos work awesome too but lotsa horror storys ..i have to jiffys an old one and a new one and the new ones been fixed a few times once was the recoil the old ones more than 20 yrs old and never had an issue cuts every time my advise is buy an old used jiffy or a husky and fix the eskimo and have two ..ya just never know 2hen ya need a backup
Old 03-22-2015, 12:19 PM

Default Eskimo

Quit pulling it like a jiffy also buy the higher end Eskimos I've been using. Them for 20yrs now and only problem was wore out piston. On my third esk for last 4yrs. Flawless. Mine mako. Have the weight not as fast or as obnoxious as the jiffy but I can drill twice as many holes as lugging a jiffy around. I tried 3 brand new 3hp jiffys and exchanged them within 2 weeks. Kept staling out that's when I got my mako. Half pull and works fine. From 5 above to 45 below.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:22 PM

I was thinking the other day, why do I have to buy a motor with each type of tool I need. And every one of them seems to have a different fuel mixture. And the use is a few months each year ....the rest of the time its sitting there, so you have to go through a storage process (or they gum up) and a pre season process. Also, like the ice auger, it sits for 9months without use....probably no that good for it.

Did a little digging and found this.

When my jiffy gives up, this is what's going to replace it.

http://www.lewiswinch.com/multidrill...ultiDrill.html

Last edited by BlackHeart; 03-22-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 PM

I was also very disappointed in my Eskimo Stinger auger I bought this yrs., I got it running on the lake after several pulls drilled my holes was happy with the results so next morning wake up early drive 2 hrs to my favorite perch lake auger was in my truck the entire time. First pull ripped the cord out of it and I Snapped took it back to Crappy tire and never looked back also had fuel leaking from it somewhere.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Default Eskimo Shark.

I will be speaking with Cabela's tomorrow to see what they they will do. The model I purchased was the Shark with the 51cc engine. I drove a half hour to get to my spot, then lugged the auger 700 to 800 meters from the ice road to my fishing spot. I managed to start it once but the auger would not turn. The engine stalled, I tried to restart it only to have the recoil break. I then had to lug it back to my truck.... and I did not even manage to drill a single hole. Now when the weather is nice I have an ice auger that is about as useful as a boat anchor, I only have two more months before ice fishing is done for the season. I tried to buy an ice auger from Costco but they would not ship it to me. I've read they over pack the gear case with grease which then creates problems with the auger. I'm not tearing it apart, I'd rather ship it back and never look at another Eskimo product.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM

The previous week-end I drove 2 1/2 hours up the ice road and found a great spot that I would like to go back to. This area is only accessible by float plane in the summer or by the ice road in the winter. Not sure what would have been worse, driving for 5 hours or dragging the auger nearly 2 km with snowshoes across a lake with two foot snow drifts. I'm itching to get back out but Eskimo is stopping all this winter excitement!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 AM

I've had my Eskimo for 8 years, bought new in 2007, been to lake athabaca three times n back and it still runs like a champ! Yes, I've broken the pull cord, couple times, buy a replacement assembly, order two and keep one with your gear, 4 screws and the whole assembly is replaced. Peice of cake! Order them online. 2 years ago cleaned the carbs and replaced the fuel tank, runs like new! drilled a solid 30+ holes this weekend!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 PM

I am pleased that Cabelas will take it back. I am disappointed the auger did not work properly. It's not fun ice fishing up here when your gear is unreliable in the cold. If you can't fish in -30 or go through 4 feet of ice then the auger is useless.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Banned

A guy I work with got 6 holes out of his first Eskimo auger... Then the gear-box seized !

The Fishing Hole wasn't going to exchange it, until he spoke with the manager on his second visit with the broken auger.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:26 PM

Main thing with eski augers is pull half as hard as you think you need to.

Mack
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Main thing with eski augers is pull half as hard as you think you need to.

Mack
Had my Mako for about 5 years now. No problems at all. 1 to 2 pulls and it starts in all weather. Can drill about 200 holes on a tank of fuel. Only used about 1/2 gallon this year and went out about a dozen times this year ( 200 holes ) Approx. I love my Eskimo ! Just wish it had a 10" auger.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
I bought one of these Eskimo Ice Auger pieces of ..... and not even 10 holes later and six outings and the recoil is broken. I checked the warranty and it is void unless the warranty card is received in Wisconsin within 30 days of purchase. What good is a warranty with these ridiculous terms! I took the recoil apart and no wonder it broke, it is all plastic except for the spring and two pins... hot wheel cars and lego are put together better.... and I bought this thing from Cabela's. If I buy another recoil it will break in a short period of time because it is plastic!! Why would they design the recoil in plastic when you're using the thing in the cold??? Shoulda bought a Husky not an Eskimo!!
That's because your pulling it like you just had a fight with the ole lady , push the bubble 5 times , pull the rope gently till it stops then pull quick with the wrist , not the whole arm , or you,ll break the plastic gear inside.
Had mine for 7 years , no problem , starts sec pull every time

Last edited by bigskinner; 10-24-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Love my Eskimo. Started it up last night for the first time in 8 months. Two pulls and she was purring.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:00 PM

I would never waste my money on an Eskimo auger I think I've seen em broken in every imaginable way ..if ya got one in good shape I'd sell it and upgrade these are not dependable machines at all in my opinion
Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 PM

I notice at the TFH that they have some Eskimo recoils there for sale as replacement parts. Kind of tells you they are a problem if someone needs to stock them locally. I've not seen recoils for other brands sold separately really. I did have an Eskimo auger a few years ago and didn't think too much of it then either. The recoil broke on that one too. When i fixed it I used a little bit longer pull cord than came stock and the problem was solved thereafter but really it was a temperamental machine and I was glad to sell it. I'm sure others have had good experiences so who knows. Have had a 8" Husqvarna by Normark since then and it's been real good. I think the ION or ION X might suit me better so headed in that direction next I think. They too are owned by Eskimo so who knows.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Can get parts for Eskimo cheep via Yetmans out of Winnipeg. Have replaced trigger, choke, and a carb but my Mako has dug more holes than you could shake a stick at. Oh and you can get replacement blades from Yetmans for waaaay cheeper than any fishing store.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Eskimo augers are like most things if you don't know how to use it properly you will have issues . Have had mine 4 years just need to Replace fuel line and filter this year ...my fault
Great auger.

Mack
Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 AM

Default cheap parts cold weather

Quote:
took the recoil apart and no wonder it broke, it is all plastic except for the spring and two pins...
WOW go figure made out of plastic to work in extreme cold someone wasn't thinking when they designed this .
Old 10-25-2016, 04:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Why blow good money on pieces of dog crap. Spend somewhat more, buy a Husky or Nils auger and you will have a piece of equipment that is made to use!!! I have had a Nils for 30 odd years. I usually burn 3-4 gals of mix each year. The Tanaka engine on it still flashes up on the 2nd or 3rd pull the first time started in winter, after which usually the 1st. I replaced one kill switch and replaced the plug annually over that time. Burned Shell premium & Opti 2 oil the whole time.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Why blow good money on pieces of dog crap. Spend somewhat more, buy a Husky or Nils auger and you will have a piece of equipment that is made to use!!! I have had a Nils for 30 odd years. I usually burn 3-4 gals of mix each year. The Tanaka engine on it still flashes up on the 2nd or 3rd pull the first time started in winter, after which usually the 1st. I replaced one kill switch and replaced the plug annually over that time. Burned Shell premium & Opti 2 oil the whole time.
Not sure how many Husky chainsaws I have seen hauled back in from the fireline with the recoil broken on them but it is substantial. Is it the equipments fault or operator error? Know where my money is. Same place as with the Eskimo recoil, operator.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 AM

E mail them. Mine did the same. They covered it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM

I've had Eskimos but this year I'm thinking of trying the jiffy propane.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Guess I got lucky!!! I have an old Jiffy I bought in 1981. That old girl still starts like a charm and has power to spare. Cant even begin to count the number of holes she's drilled and in all those years she's had one tune up. If its running good I don't tinker with them.

Gord
Old 11-20-2016, 12:09 AM

50% off! Love mine.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/es...8112p.html#srp