Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM

Default Strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt

So I went and got a new auger. The strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt with the lite flight. I can honestly say that my old 10 inch Lazer Pro can kick this electric thing's ass around the block. 15 holes and down to 2 bars. Half a dozen times, the thing stalled just as it was about to break through the bottom of the ice. I spent over $1000 on this thing with extra battery and carry bag. I'm not impressed!! Anyone who has a good gas auger like my old Lazer Pro, stay away from this electric garbage. With a gas auger you can easily drill 100 plus holes in a day, just keep filling up the fuel tank. I can't believe I fell for the hype that a few guys on here were spewing. My 15 year old Lazer Pro can drill close to twice as fast.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:45 AM

Edit, missed some info. In my mind 10" is a lot for an e auger.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-10-2024, 08:42 AM

My 10" strikemaster is on year 5......I've never burnt out a battery in a day or even a weekend. 40-50 holes in 24+" is no problem.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:22 AM

would not trade my strike master 10 inch 40 volt for any gas auger .way lighter ,always starts ,and no smell . does 15 seconds drilling a hole make any difference.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:36 AM

Going to follow this post . Every one is talking how good electric ice augers are Now we get one guy saying how bad they are . Did we finally get someone to try it on 4 ft of ice ?
Whats up ?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My 10" strikemaster is on year 5......I've never burnt out a battery in a day or even a weekend. 40-50 holes in 24+" is no problem.

Got the 8” one and still no issues.

Same results as you.

Seems the OP got a dud which happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2024, 11:06 AM

Not completely the same product but I got an Eskimo Pistol Bit that I am using with a Dewalt drill and a 9AH battery and I have been more than satisfied so far. It drills substantially faster then the gas unit and I can drill more holes then I expected.

I would reach out to the manufacturer and see what they say about your issues you're having.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Going to follow this post . Every one is talking how good electric ice augers are Now we get one guy saying how bad they are . Did we finally get someone to try it on 4 ft of ice ?
Whats up ?
I've been way north and drilled through 40-48" no issues with an extension.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:37 AM

5th yr with my 8" SM never an issue

When the auger gives a beep and stops if you read your manual you will see reasons not holding it level is one, so if it beeps just stop and restart.

Never had to use my spare battery, drill on t he average 20 holes
Old 03-10-2024, 12:26 PM

While I don't support electric vehicles and other larger electric items, I would never go back to a gas auger. Gas augers still have great torque, longevity in cold weather etc but the cons far out weigh the pros. Almost seems like this post is just to get a rise from the crowd
Old 03-10-2024, 12:46 PM

Default Electric

Year number 8 on 10 inch ION. LOVE it
Old 03-10-2024, 12:53 PM

Take it back if it doesn't work. I'm on the 3rd season and work the arse off of my strikemaster 10" 40v. Have never had an issue of any kind. Listening to the gas augers out at the slave lake tournament yesterday...I could drill 3 to their one. Just let it drill, don't force it and pull your chips out when you get close to breaking thru, keep a straight hole so you aren't binding. I got thru without an extension my partner couldn't drill thru with his gen 1. Like anything you are gonna get a lemon here and there. I treat it like the piece of plastic it is, the battery gets pulled when im done my drilling, the blade cover goes on, and the auger rides in the back seat. It has served me very, very well, and that's coming from a guy that has a garage full of dirt bikes, sleds, quads, boats, but they don't build the gas augers like they used to and if you want a 10 inch hole thru thick ice you will roast the clutches and weak little gear case of the new gas augers. Just my personal observations.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:19 PM

going on 3 years with my Strikemaster 40V 10 inch. Love it. will not go back to gas. I don't drill lots of hole though, i spend more time fishing than drilling holes everywhere. Just saying
Old 03-10-2024, 10:05 PM

I used it today and it's not too bad, bit of a learning curve to get used to it since this was only my second day on it. It only stalled on me a few times just as it was about to break through. The point I was trying to make is that if you own a "Strikemaster Lazer Pro" with the 54cc Solo engine, don't expect this electric auger to blow your socks off. I can't speak about other gas auers like Jiffy or Eskimo because my Strikemaster is the only gas auger that I've owned. That being said, I drilled 30 holes max on one battery today at Lake Isle and I'm pretty sure the ice isn't much more than 24". I drill a lot of holes, sometimes 100 so I guess I'll need to have at least 3 batteries.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyemagnet View Post
I used it today and it's not too bad, bit of a learning curve to get used to it since this was only my second day on it. It only stalled on me a few times just as it was about to break through. The point I was trying to make is that if you own a "Strikemaster Lazer Pro" with the 54cc Solo engine, don't expect this electric auger to blow your socks off. I can't speak about other gas auers like Jiffy or Eskimo because my Strikemaster is the only gas auger that I've owned. That being said, I drilled 30 holes max on one battery today at Lake Isle and I'm pretty sure the ice isn't much more than 24". I drill a lot of holes, sometimes 100 so I guess I'll need to have at least 3 batteries.
I scored a new strike master 10 inch electric ,never used it when a friend called say they had a new 8 lazer solo gas with extension plus a new 10 extra shat never used still in the box new .So I bought since another buddy I grew up with wanted the eclectic ten inch I just bought . I got the electric on sale and sold it same price I paid under one condition I can use it when I go down fishing. Never went yet this year .we fish together 95 percent of the time.

I have used the same auger you bought, great auger. Now I have new back up at half price that can drill like crazy ,Both are good .Plus I kept my older gas 30 jiffy also almost new to donate to a buddy who needs one.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:53 AM

SM electrics are known to have issues at the bottom of the hole. And I have to say that some of the numbers I've seen for electric augers (SM and ION) in terms of inches of ice they'll do on a single charge make me raise my eyebrows.

Still, sounds like OP should return the one they got and try a new one. Any 40V electric should light up any gas auger in terms of speed. There is no comparison in torque. Same reason a four door Tesla can annihilate any ICE supercar in a race.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:21 AM

I've got the 8" lite flight and haven't had any issues with it. I've had a few operators of mine have it cut out but I think it was because they weren't holding the dead man switch tight enough. I couldn't go back to gas at this point but time will tell.

I also doubt how many total inches it will drill. Will give it a good workout this weekend in the Lakeland.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:30 AM

I've got the 8'' 40V last week. It was on sale. I drilled 12 holes in at least 20'' of ice and the battery still was showing 3 green lights out of 4. If I can drill 10 holes per one green light/bar then it should give me 40 holes per charge but I suppose the less green bars the less holes/bar.
I do not drill 100 holes, I go to fish not to drill holes. The larger the diameter the quicker the battery drains.
I think it's an OK auger but time will tell. It is more heavier than I expected and doesn't look very solid being of plastic. Initially I wanted to get the 24V one since they said it's light, but there was only $100 cheaper so I thought for 8'' a 40V would be better. It better last because even on sale is not cheap.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
For this time of year and ice thickness but also softness, 3 batteries would have you covered. I'm 5 years now on my SM40 10 inch and have 2 batteries (original ones). Still getting 35-40 holes for March thickness. I do get less than that as the ice softens in mid to late March. That will also be a factor.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:26 AM

The area of a circle is 3.14 x radius(squared). An 8 inch circle has an area of 50.24 sq in. A 10 inch circle has an area of 78.5 sq inches, roughly 50% more. On 24 inch thick ice, the 8 inch auger cuts and moves 1,205 cubic inches of ice whereas the 10 inch auger cuts and moves 1,884 cubic inches of ice.

This difference in amount of ice cut for the same ice thickness makes a huge difference in battery life.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-11-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
SM electrics are known to have issues at the bottom of the hole. And I have to say that some of the numbers I've seen for electric augers (SM and ION) in terms of inches of ice they'll do on a single charge make me raise my eyebrows.

Still, sounds like OP should return the one they got and try a new one. Any 40V electric should light up any gas auger in terms of speed. There is no comparison in torque. Same reason a four door Tesla can annihilate any ICE supercar in a race.
When you're getting to the bottom of the hole you gotta hold it back a little to let it finish. I had to do the same thing with my SM Lazer pro which had the 4 blade flight. The SM seem to cut more aggressively and grab so much at the bottom of the hole which leads to stall outs. In terms of speed though my SM electric would never keep up with my SM lazer, and neither would any of the Ions or anything else for that matter. But I would never go back to a gas auger after owning electric and I drill LOTS of holes...
Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 AM

Quote:
So I went and got a new auger. The strikemaster 10 inch 40 volt with the lite flight. I can honestly say that my old 10 inch Lazer Pro can kick this electric thing's ass around the block. 15 holes and down to 2 bars. Half a dozen times, the thing stalled just as it was about to break through the bottom of the ice. I spent over $1000 on this thing with extra battery and carry bag. I'm not impressed!! Anyone who has a good gas auger like my old Lazer Pro, stay away from this electric garbage. With a gas auger you can easily drill 100 plus holes in a day, just keep filling up the fuel tank. I can't believe I fell for the hype that a few guys on here were spewing. My 15 year old Lazer Pro can drill close to twice as fast.
I have the same issues. I primarily use my Jiffy 3HP for all trips. Electric is nice and lite with little noise but I prefer oil and gas. Same goes with vehicles.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
When you're getting to the bottom of the hole you gotta hold it back a little to let it finish. I had to do the same thing with my SM Lazer pro which had the 4 blade flight. The SM seem to cut more aggressively and grab so much at the bottom of the hole which leads to stall outs. In terms of speed though my SM electric would never keep up with my SM lazer, and neither would any of the Ions or anything else for that matter. But I would never go back to a gas auger after owning electric and I drill LOTS of holes...
If they cut so aggressively they stall out at the bottom of the hole, why are they slower than IONs? I've leaned on my ION with most of my 240lbs just for giggles and it never stalled.

Sorry. Low-hanging fruit always gets me.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
If they cut so aggressively they stall out at the bottom of the hole, why are they slower than IONs? I've leaned on my ION with most of my 240lbs just for giggles and it never stalled.

There can only be ONE alpha...thats why
Old 03-12-2024, 02:50 PM

4 years with Strikemaster 40V 8" and not a single issue. Have spare battery and never yet needed it. And I drill a lot. Would not change it to gas even if somebody pays me.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I never said it was faster then any other auger out there. As for the aggressive part I guess they bite off more then they can chew sometimes...lol

I've never had the chance to try a newer Ion either so I can't comment on them. I've also never felt I need to switch to one because it might be a second or two faster.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:56 PM

I'm just ribbing you. You can't buy a bad 40V electric auger as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:57 PM

All good man, I knew where you were coming from...