Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Questions to ranch/farm owners and acreage dwellers.

For the past half dozen years or so, it's been my and my wife's dream to live on acreage. Not huge, but big enough to have 2 or 3 horses, and be semi-secluded from your neighbours.
We've had our eyes on the areas south and west of hwy 22x and Deerfoot. (Millarville, Leighton, etc). We love the bush and the varying hills of the area.

My questions are:
  • How much land would be required to keep 2 or 3 horses?
  • Is it possible for a city slicker to learn how to keep/ride/look after horses?
  • When you have a small parcel amongst all these huge parcels, is it possible to ride the horses to explore through others property? I see everything sectioned off by miles of fencing.
  • Our goal is to one day be able to sell the our current house, grab a small parcel and build, while still being close enough to the city to work. (1/2 hour commute so to speak).
Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM

My friend in Idaho lives in the city and has about an acre. He keeps 2 horses and a mule on it just fine.
You might have to trailer them to crown land to ride or get to know your niebours so you dont have to go so far.
Horses are no big deal to care for, kinda like a really big lab. There are many experienced horse people on here that would give you a few tips im sure
Old 06-09-2013, 10:02 AM

For horses you should have 1 acre for each horse... As for riding through your neighbors property I would ask for permission first...

For taking care of them you can have a vet come to your place once or twice a year until you get the hang of it
Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
For the past half dozen years or so, it's been my and my wife's dream to live on acreage. Not huge, but big enough to have 2 or 3 horses, and be semi-secluded from your neighbours.
We've had our eyes on the areas south and west of hwy 22x and Deerfoot. (Millarville, Leighton, etc). We love the bush and the varying hills of the area.

My questions are:
  • Is it possible for a city slicker to learn how to keep/ride/look after horses?
  • When you have a small parcel amongst all these huge parcels, is it possible to ride the horses to explore through others property? I see everything sectioned off by miles of fencing.
  • Our goal is to one day be able to sell the our current house, grab a small parcel and build, while still being close enough to the city to work. (1/2 hour commute so to speak).
I think everything is easily possible if its what you want. That said I would also figure on buying a horse trailer to take the horses for rides where there is not any fences. Thats pretty close by too. Check with the MD for livestock regs etc. Good luck with the dream, sounds like a great one!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Lots of people where I live have horses in their "front yard", maybe an acre or less, tops. I don't think that is ideal though, .

The answer to every one of your questions is yes, if you play your cards right. If you come to the country to join a community, most people will welcome you in. But everyone will be very defensive at first, because they will question your motives, and if you are cidiot bringing city rules to the country. Everybody hates that.

Completely different rules for locals than the guy from away asking permission. I have a great recreational property and all my neighbors kids are welcome to head down to my creek and have at er, if they give me a heads up. All my neighbors have told me I don't need permission to hunt their land as well.

I think it will go really well for you.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Lots of people where I live have horses in their "front yard", maybe an acre or less, tops. I don't think that is ideal though, .

The answer to every one of your questions is yes, if you play your cards right. If you come to the country to join a community, most people will welcome you in. But everyone will be very defensive at first, because they will question your motives, and if you are cidiot bringing city rules to the country. Everybody hates that.

Completely different rules for locals than the guy from away asking permission. I have a great recreational property and all my neighbors kids are welcome to head down to my creek and have at er, if they give me a heads up. All my neighbors have told me I don't need permission to hunt their land as well.

I think it will go really well for you.
I'm definitely not looking to do the "3 horses, empty bathtub, and two truck bodies sitting in my front yard of a 1 acre parcel"....(I think we've seen that all too often)

I'd like to find 5 acres. 5-10 would be ideal, but out of my price range.
I can see the "defensive" part, hence why I'd like to get some input here. I would never be so presumptuous as to hop on a quad and go ripping through private land, but I wondered what the "protocol" is if you want to casually ride a couple horses through a large forested area, or up to the top of a mountain ridge.

The reason I say "3 horses" is ideally we'd like to have a trailer and do a lot of riding up in the mountains (lower kananaskis, longview area, southern, etc) We were coming back from K country one time, stopped at "Sentinal" and watched an older couple unload their 3 horses (one pack) and together with their dog, headed across the river and on up into the mountain. We both looked at each other and just sighed happily and said in unison ...."God, I want to retire to THAT!!!!".
We've always loved the idea of acreage living, and have never been able to follow that dream. Now we're getting closer to being able to do it.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Default Questions to ranch/farm owners and acreage dwellers.

My questions are:

How much land would be required to keep 2 or 3 horses?
Is it possible for a city slicker to learn how to keep/ride/look after horses?
When you have a small parcel amongst all these huge parcels, is it possible to ride the horses to explore through others property? I see everything sectioned off by miles of fencing.
Our goal is to one day be able to sell the our current house, grab a small parcel and build, while still being close enough to the city to work. (1/2 hour commute so to speak).

My family started with horses about 8 years ago , now I would never not have them, Although growing up with animals as kids we have been away from them for a lot of years prior,

1st , be ready for a big initial investment, 3 good quality riding horses , fencing, trailer, tack and of course on going feed square bales, round bales = tractor.

Are kids going to be involved? if so , have them get involved in a good 4H program , it is goods for both kids and parents on treatment and handling of horses, you and the horses learn riding and trailering procedures. Put two girls through the 4H and two different horses and parents and kids and horses learnt a lot , get involved as a parent, don't just drop kids off at 4H. or get to know people with horses , people are always willing to help.

Land? what type of land are you looking at, horses " Hay Burners" get that name for a reason , they eat a lot, is the land bush or grass, I have 10acres( 6 of which is fenced for horses) of mixed bush and pasture and need to look at neighboring pastures throughout the summer, or be prepared to feed, apprx 1 round bale every two weeks for 3 horses ( 40-70$ each), 1000 lb animal needs room to be fair,

Neighbors, ask permission, of course , most people are pretty casual to horse back riders riding through farmland , use respect of course, and it is a great outing with family and friends.

Just my two cents , hope this helps? They become pets like any good dog
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Banned

I used to raise, breed and show Clydesdales back in BC for a number of years....and the rule of thumb is 1acre/horse for grazing and running/roaming area.

I was on 10acres (w/ 2-3 horses at any given time) and even then....the grass was trimmed quickly and had to buy hay....

Obviously more is better.....but you will want a land parcel with good drainage. Best to look at land in the wet season so you can see for yourself.
Horses do not fair well in wet lands. Also this will cause foot problems.

Then you'll hafta learn about hay.....some hays are too hot (too much protein....eg alfalfa) for the horse and will lead to hoof problems.

Horses are a lot of care and work but very rewarding.

Last edited by MtnGiant; 06-09-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Me and the misses have the same dream as you.
Good luck and keep us posted as to how things play out for you.
All the best in your hunt for your dream land.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Calgary Dave,
I currently live just south of Okotoks on just over 6 acres. We have 2 horses, 4 barn cats and 2 dogs. The MD of Foothills allows up to 3 animal units( 3 horses or cows or 5 goats/sheep etc) if you have over 3 acres. We have permission from our neighbours to the north to ride our horses on their property. We also ride them up and down the street, on the ditch. That's what everyone does. We're in a coulee, so the back is clear, but we do have a neighbour that has a house approximately 100 feet from our house. The other side, the neighbour is about 500 feet from ours.

If you get good hardy horses born and raised in the prairies, they would rather be outside than in. A small barn that's prefab or post frame would run you just under $20000. Fencing my whole property cost me about $10000, but the wife wanted a special type of fencing for her horses. Typical 4 strand wire would be closer to $5000 (including gates etc.). A waterer and putting the line in would be about $3000. budget another $1000 for a shelter and a couple of windbreaks. Every year, you'll have to do your homework and get hay at a decent price. For 3 horses, budget approximately $800 for hay. Grain and stuff can be had for less than 500 a year, depending on how much you ride your horses. Wormers twice a year and shoes, depending on how much you ride. Shoes, probably every 6-8 weeks in the riding months and nothing over the winter.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Dave, cool idea...you're a man after my own heart. I have an idea for you if you want to learn about horses. Check out higher trails.

http://www.highertrails.org/

I have visited this ranch but I'm not a member for now. What they provide is the opportunity to foster a horse. They own it, board it, etc, but you kind of 'adopt' it. They will teach you horsemanship, etc. It is a relaxing, close knit family environment. I loved it and i'm not even really 'into' horses like the rest of my gang. Cheers
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM

My wife and I live on 10 acres near okotoks. We love it. The down fall is you have another full time job. Mowing the lawn maintaining the animals etc. you will prob need a tractor or skidsteer as the snow can get deep and need to shovel the driveway.

Keep in mind if you like shooting and you want to shoot at your acreage be picky about what you buy. Meet the neighbors before you make a deal etc.

Our place is wonderful but we are thinking it may be time to move due to my wife Geting a job that is not close.
If you are intrested in the acreage experance I can help you out. Perhaps you may want to stay at our place when we go away.

Last. Anyone can learn how to ride a horse. If I can you can lol.

M
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Calgary Dave,
I currently live just south of Okotoks on just over 6 acres. We have 2 horses, 4 barn cats and 2 dogs. The MD of Foothills allows up to 3 animal units( 3 horses or cows or 5 goats/sheep etc) if you have over 3 acres. We have permission from our neighbours to the north to ride our horses on their property. We also ride them up and down the street, on the ditch. That's what everyone does. We're in a coulee, so the back is clear, but we do have a neighbour that has a house approximately 100 feet from our house. The other side, the neighbour is about 500 feet from ours.

If you get good hardy horses born and raised in the prairies, they would rather be outside than in. A small barn that's prefab or post frame would run you just under $20000. Fencing my whole property cost me about $10000, but the wife wanted a special type of fencing for her horses. Typical 4 strand wire would be closer to $5000 (including gates etc.). A waterer and putting the line in would
be about $3000. budget another $1000 for a shelter and a couple of windbreaks. Every year, you'll have to do your homework and get hay at a decent price. For 3 horses, budget approximately $800 for hay. Grain and stuff can be had for less than 500 a year, depending on how much you ride your horses. Wormers twice a year and shoes, depending on how much you ride. Shoes, probably every 6-8 weeks in the riding months and nothing over the winter.
Dave you gotta check the county rules on everything. Also sometimes they allow easements with the proper applications and schedules..... Head to the foothills or rocky view county websites for the info.....but the post above is pretty bang on.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Excellent information from everyone here, thank you! I'm encouraged, as I was expecting higher costs/harder work.
My ultimate would be to retire and JUST look after my own land, but I realize that is a pipe dream. (to have land that can pay for itself...ie ranch/farm). I'll still be going into the city to do MY day job (construction).

My wife doesn't work, our youngest son just finished high school, and will be with us for quite a few years yet. So between all 3 of us, I can't see the "extra job" being overwhelming. We all love horseback riding, and exploring the mountains. But I can't see the wife and I hiking 20k into the bush when I'm in my 60's...on a horse, yeah!

I'm not into shooting on my land, but would definitely be prepared for self-defense when we're in deep bush.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'm definitely not looking to do the "3 horses, empty bathtub, and two truck bodies sitting in my front yard of a 1 acre parcel"....(I think we've seen that all too often)

I'd like to find 5 acres. 5-10 would be ideal, but out of my price range.
I can see the "defensive" part, hence why I'd like to get some input here. I would never be so presumptuous as to hop on a quad and go ripping through private land, but I wondered what the "protocol" is if you want to casually ride a couple horses through a large forested area, or up to the top of a mountain ridge.

The reason I say "3 horses" is ideally we'd like to have a trailer and do a lot of riding up in the mountains (lower kananaskis, longview area, southern, etc) We were coming back from K country one time, stopped at "Sentinal" and watched an older couple unload their 3 horses (one pack) and together with their dog, headed across the river and on up into the mountain. We both looked at each other and just sighed happily and said in unison ...."God, I want to retire to THAT!!!!".
We've always loved the idea of acreage living, and have never been able to follow that dream. Now we're getting closer to being able to do it.
Crown land you an ride on is not more than an hours drive from most places. Private land, you'd better have permission, not always that easy given the number of people and liability issues. Most MDs now have requirements how much land you are required to have, before you can have any horse.

Grizz
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:

My questions are:

Acre a horse or a round bail a month, but saying that if you plan on 5-10 acres you should be set.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM

One more thing, buyin' the horse itself is the cheap part of the hobby ownership deal, the rest is expensive part and this comes from 30 yrs in the equine industry
Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
One more thing, buyin' the horse itself is the cheap part of the hobby ownership deal, the rest is expensive part and this comes from 30 yrs in the equine industry
Yeah I suspected as much. But I actually thought that food/vet/tack/misc "maintenance" for a horse would be more. Like a "rich man's" thing.

Out of curiosity though, how much can one get a decent "riding horse" for?
ie: I'm not interested in purchasing a brand new "Lincoln Navigator" but more a "used Ford sedan", type of thing.

I like that "higher trails" thing. Would probably do something like that at first until I knew I was comfortable in looking after a horse properly.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
yup farrier fees, every 6 weeks, deworming & inoculations every 6 weeks, hay , grain minerals, horse is $100 saddle $1600 saddle pad, bridals halters bits, winter blankets , barn to keep them warm in winter if ya ride in winter, horse trailer , pickem up to pull horse trailer , then they are just like humans they need to be kept fit and in shape, its very hard on them if ya leave them be for six or seven weeks then expect them to hold up to being rode hard and put away wet , one day a month, and the work never ends
better to buy a quad or side by side
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah I suspected as much. But I actually thought that food/vet/tack/misc "maintenance" for a horse would be more. Like a "rich man's" thing.

Out of curiosity though, how much can one get a decent "riding horse" for?
ie: I'm not interested in purchasing a brand new "Lincoln Navigator" but more a "used Ford sedan", type of thing.

I like that "higher trails" thing. Would probably do something like that at first until I knew I was comfortable in looking after a horse properly.
If your just looking for horse to trail ride they will run anywhere from 1500$ to $5000. Performance horses are a whole other story and cost much more. If you are new and know nothing about horse get someoene you trust to help you find suitable, broke horses.
Horses can be fun and rewarding but they can be very dangerous as well. A well broke, safe horse is worth the extra money for someone who is just starting out. I've seen so called "bombproof" horses come completely unglued for various reasons. No matter how broke they are they need to be respected.What Taco said is right , buying one is the cheap part. The care and maintenance is quite costly.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM

County of rockyview only allows one animal unit per four acres.
That means anything from four to seven acres only one horse is allowed. This is usually only a problem in "acreage rows", if your surrounded by farms they don't care. Your land will tell you how many animal you can have on it. If you over graze and at the end of the year your land is bald, too many horses.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up

"The biggest adventure you can take, is to live the life of your dreams."

Go for it, Dave!

TF
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
If your just looking for horse to trail ride they will run anywhere from 1500$ to $5000. Performance horses are a whole other story and cost much more. If you are new and know nothing about horse get someoene you trust to help you find suitable, broke horses.
Horses can be fun and rewarding but they can be very dangerous as well. A well broke, safe horse is worth the extra money for someone who is just starting out. I've seen so called "bombproof" horses come completely unglued for various reasons. No matter how broke they are they need to be respected.What Taco said is right , buying one is the cheap part. The care and maintenance is quite costly.
Good advice.

Don't shy away from the older experienced horses thinking that you want something young that will "last longer." A "been there, done that" honest horse is what you want to start with. A horse that you're afraid to ride will only get worse standing in a pasture.

Anyone that has horses knows that they aren't just a hobby. They take up much time and effort but the benefits are many. I guess it depends on the person but I'd much rather spend my time with our horses than whacking a little white ball on a manicured fairway.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM

We bought our acreage in 2001, would I give it up ... Never! Has it been a money pit , absolutely. If your buying an acreage with a home / shop already on it do your due dole fence and find out about your well and your septic system. Our old house was added onto in 1992 and septic tank was replaced , that's all fine and dandy except it was done wrong. Had to redo the septic a few years later out of pocket expense. Then we were also mislead on the well, it collapsed in 08' another out of pocket expense. Lets see tin the shop roof , fix up yard and reseeded to grass. Tore up back weed patch and seeded to alfalfa expense expense expense.... In total I think we have spent in the neighborhood of 25,000-30,000 in unexpected costs. Not trying to deter you but just be aware, once again ill never sell .
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

For 2 head I wouldn't have less than 3-4acres. All sounds good on a good grass year that an acre per horse is enough but throw in a few dry years and the feed bill rockets up fast.

The costs are what you make them.
Dewormer 2-3 times a year = roughly $17/horse/treatment
Saddle = used $300 up for good rope/ranch saddles. New $1000 and up.
Tack = used another $100 up or new $500 up.
Hay = $30 - $130/ large round depending on year. Squares are more costly
Trimming = $30-$40/horse each time. Number of times depends in the horse and terrain he is on.
Vet fees = depends on your luck and the horse.

Plowing your drive way can be done with an atv the cheapest or hired out if tractors or skid steers aren't wanted.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM

My wife and I have also thought about the acreage thing (but work in the city), very seriously. But frankly (for us) the time alone is the largest deterrent. We enjoy our summers (camping every weekend), and I notice that you do also, that would definitely take a backseat to your acreage upkeep. While "the grass is always greener", just make sure you realize that everything will now take longer. Commuting/groceries/running to the store/cutting lawn/etc.

You say your son just graduated high school. Have you taken into account another reliable vehicle (for your son), what about post secondary? From my experience of having to spend 1.5 hours on City transit each way when I was in high school & college, the last thing I would want is my parents to move farther out.

Trust me, I completely understand the pros of an acreage (space alone is the biggest plus), just make sure you understand all the cons.

In our eyes, the vacation property will be a better idea (but we also have toddlers, so time is limited as it is).
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
For 2 head I wouldn't have less than 3-4acres. All sounds good on a good grass year that an acre per horse is enough but throw in a few dry years and the feed bill rockets up fast.

The costs are what you make them.
Dewormer 2-3 times a year = roughly $17/horse/treatment
Saddle = used $300 up for good rope/ranch saddles. New $1000 and up.
Tack = used another $100 up or new $500 up.
Hay = $30 - $130/ large round depending on year. Squares are more costly
Trimming = $30-$40/horse each time. Number of times depends in the horse and terrain he is on.
Vet fees = depends on your luck and the horse.

Plowing your drive way can be done with an atv the cheapest or hired out if tractors or skid steers aren't wanted.
Good advice. It doesn't necessarily take a lot of money to make it all happen. It is what you make it. I live on an acreage and can't imagine living in a city/town. Never have and would prob go crazy if I had to.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM

If your keeping 3 horses I would say have at least 50 acres. I see way too many people with their 1-3 acre plots and those horses keep everything chewed right off at the ground. Horses are horribly hard on pastures and can actually ruin your grass productivity. I keep 8 horses in a 320 acre field at my place and they can graze year round and never run out. I know around Calgary the grass is a little different than my neck of the woods, that is why 50 acres would do you well year round. Might have to feed them for 45 days in the winter but for 3 horses that's only about $2000 per winter.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Default Check with MD

Here in Wheatland county you are not allowed to have any livestock including horses on any acreage less than 4-5 acres. I can't remember if it is 4 or 5, some of the older acreages were grandfathered in for the original owners to keep their horses but if they sell out, the new owners have to abide by the new rules. The grandfather clause is for the owner not the property. I have a simple 2 acres and the neighbor has a grazing field adjoining my fence I lease a small piece of his 140 acres to keep my dads mules here. So although by appearance it seems I have a larger property I really don't, but it suits the county rules and keeps everyone happy. This type of arrangement might be something you could do as well. So although the water , barn wagons, etc... are on my side the mules are on the other 140 acres.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Think 5 acres per animal and you'll be ok. You will still have to feed though... Mid September to May you'll be buying hay and depending on the year you may have to supplement through the summer too. We had 4 horses on 20 acres and it was always eaten into the dirt... You have to remember that on an acreage you lose your building envelope, yard and driveway. So 4-5 acres is more like 2 1/2 - 3 1/2...

I'd say your looking at a 60k investment for 3 horses, saddles, tack, a very simple 4 stall metal barn, trailer and basic 4 strand fencing on a 5 acre piece.
Yearly costs are in the neighbourhood of $1500 a horse (farrier, vet, round bales (cheaper than squares), worming paste) more if you feed squares or hay prices are up... Also a small tractor to clean up the manure and feed bales can be had for under 10k for an older good used one.

We bought a quarter and don't have to worry anymore.