Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

Default Veterinarians Vote to Ban Surgeries for Pets

Tattoos and piercing, okay. But I always thought that tail docking and dew claw removal was a preventative procedure for hunting dogs. I suppose that cat owners would say that declawing might be important as well.

Alberta veterinarians vote to ban declawing, ear cropping, tail docking surgeries

Alberta veterinarians have voted to ban medically unnecessary surgical procedures and to require vets and their staff to report animal abuse and neglect.

The decision was made Sunday in Calgary, where members of the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) voted in favour of two resolutions they say will have a significant impact on animal welfare in the province.

Surgery ban resolution

The ban on all unnecessary surgeries includes the following procedures:

ear cropping
tail docking (removing portions of an animal’s tail)
tail nicking (cutting and resetting a tail ligament to heal in a raised position)
tail blocking (numbing or nicking tendons to paralyze the tail)
partial digit amputation (also called declawing or onychectomy, in which all or part of the distal phalanges, or end bones, of the animal’s toes are cut off)
tendonectomy (removing tendons from a cat’s toes to prevent it from extending the claws, done as an alternative to onychectomy)
front dewclaw removal
cosmetic dentistry
body piercing
tattooing that is not for the purpose of registration and identification
devocalization (removing tissue from the animal’s vocal cords to permanently reduce the volume of its vocalizations)

Animal abuse resolution
The other resolution voted on surrounded animal welfare. It obligates vets and veterinary technologists to report cases of animal abuse and neglect, and to take action to address animals in distress.

It covers malicious or inappropriate infliction of physical injury, sexual abuse, mental abuse, poisoning, asphyxia, drowning, and evidence of organized dogfighting.

The ABVMA defines neglect as the failure to provide animals with adequate basic necessities supporting health and well being for extended periods leading to suffering, serious injury or death.

That includes food and water, medical attention when wounded or ill, protection from injurious weather, adequate space, sanitary housing, ventilation and lighting, opportunity for exercise, and a stimulating social environment that prevents the induction of a negative emotional or psychological state.

The organization said the abuse resolution complements existing legislation in the Animal Protection Act (APA) while going further by providing specific definitions of animal abuse and neglect.

“This is an important step forward for our profession and for animal welfare in this province,” said Dr. Darrell Dalton, registrar of the ABVMA.

“I’m grateful for our members who have demonstrated such a profound commitment to their role as guardians of animal welfare in our province by voting in favour of these resolutions.”

The Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) is the professional regulatory organization governing the practice of veterinary medicine in Alberta under the authority of the Veterinary Profession Act.

The ABVMA is responsible for ensuring that all vets in the province are qualified to practise veterinary medicine.

The ABVMA has more than 1,450 registered veterinarians, and 1,400 registered veterinary technologists practising in over 524 certified veterinary clinics throughout Alberta.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4995963/a...-animal-abuse/
Old 02-25-2019, 11:57 AM

I have known for many years, ( had my cat from 1993-2006), that many vets would not perform the procedure of declawing cats because it was very traumatic for them.....I never had it done because of that but do I hate that he destroyed my furniture....
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Few claws are removed on bird dogs so they don’t get hung up and torn .
Tails get docked on many breeds so they don’t get continually broken I n tight brush .
Cat
Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 PM

devocalization (removing tissue from the animal’s vocal cords to permanently reduce the volume of its vocalizations)

I've never heard of this before, pretty barbaric although I could think of a few good candidates.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM

So will the reduced revenue streams coming into a vet clinic mean that prices of allowable procedures will rise to offset the loss?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

I've never heard of this before, pretty barbaric although I could think of a few good candidates.
A buddy had to have this done to his barky Great Pyrenees or the City of Calgary would have seized his dog. Now the city may have to rewrite their own bylaw to match the provincial vets?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Default My understanding

My understanding is that the vote on the surgeries was just a vote by the membership to direct the Provincial Vet Association to recommend to the province that the next time they open up the Veterinary Professions Act to include those surgeries listed as banned. So nothing changes until that provincial act is opened up for review.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM

Docing of the tail is harmless to a dog if get it done within a couple days after dogs are born. My springer, the breeder didn’t get the tails done till day 4 or 5 and the vet had to consider it surgery. I’ve heard about them banning this stuff for a while now.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Docing of the tail is harmless to a dog if get it done within a couple days after dogs are born. My springer, the breeder didn’t get the tails done till day 4 or 5 and the vet had to consider it surgery. I’ve heard about them banning this stuff for a while now.
Just curious and not trying to question your judgement. What is the difference between couple days and 4-5?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:18 PM

Don't worry, vets are just like the rest of us. Do anything for money.

If vet "a" won't declaw ur rodent, vet "b" will be happy to take your money and cut anything off fluffy you ask him too.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM

I wonder how many rednecks will be forced to declaw fluffy with a pillow case and a pair of vice grips?.....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM

There’s some things I agree with such as banning ear cropping and declawing cats.

But dew claws and tail docking should still be allowed. Some dogs need to have their tails cut off to prevent broken tails
Old 02-25-2019, 03:09 PM

Default De-barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

I have an aunt who did this to both her dogs some years ago (called it de-barking) Short version of the story, my aunt still won't speak to me to this day after I expressed my opinion of what she did to her dogs.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I have an aunt who did this to both her dogs some years ago (called it de-barking) Short version of the story, my aunt still won't speak to me to this day after I expressed my opinion of what she did to her dogs.
Did you book her in as well?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Did you book her in as well?
Seeing that she won't speak to me anymore seems like an unnessacary surgery!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Seeing that she won't speak to me anymore seems like an unnessacary surgery!
lol I thought maybe that was why she quit speaking to you!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Count yourselves lucky
In Nova Scotia the SPCA managed to get dew claw removal and tail docking defined as offenses under the provisions of Cruelty to Animals legislation.
No comment apparently, as to what happens when your dog is running a bird and tears off a dew claw or breaks that digit, or anything to do with cold tail or tail damage from working in the brush.
More of the state, or in this case the province, helping you to run your life - you're obviously incompetent to make your own decisions
Old 02-25-2019, 04:28 PM

I have had 3 gsp's. I can't begin to picture the future # 4 with a tail.

Of all my shorthairs, gotten as pups at 8 weeks and people I know with dogs that had their tails docked. Never seen or heard of one issue related to that procedure.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Easy enough to get any of those procedures done elsewhere , non issue then.
Cat
Old 02-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Idiotic decision! So let’s see- it’s OK to sterilize (castrate) dogs but it’s not ok to dock the tails?! Docking tails on a newborn pup is like cutting your fingernails. Neutering the female dog is an intrusive surgery that requires full anesthetic. Males are a bit easier....
Stupid stupid stupid!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM

So I guess those who are still intent on such procedures will simply have to cross to another province or down to the USA to get it done....?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
So I guess those who are still intent on such procedures will simply have to cross to another province or down to the USA to get it done....?
Or some redneck amateur will set up a clinic in his/her garage and the complications from these procedures will increase greatly and cause more problems than if the procedures were to be continued to be performed by a trained professional.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Just curious and not trying to question your judgement. What is the difference between couple days and 4-5?
I’m no doctor but I think it’s more when they’re first born the tail is just cartilage with no blood flow or nerves developed so it’s literally just a snip and done. But after the first few days it starts to develope, I remember them mentioning stitches or when I went to pick out the pup at 5 weeks they had there tails stitched still? But I’m a fan of tails being doced and dew claws removed, for the sake of the dog when it’s older. De barking and cutting ears are are a different story. But who cares honestly, farmers cause for pain to a calf giving it ear tags and branding or burning horns then a 1 week old dog getting its tail cut off or ears snipped.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 PM

A lot of dog issues go right back to designer breeds. We've created breeds with inherent physical problems that make life difficult for them and in some cases shorten their lives. Cosmetic surgery is just the icing on the cake.

Grizz
Old 02-25-2019, 06:33 PM

I thought most tail docking was done at the breeder level?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well then let's knock off our baby toes at birth....that freaking thing or things on my foot at least are mangled....broken....so many times and yet they are still there....take my earlobes too....either way my old dog has hunted and bashed through bush all her 13 years and yup limped home, tore things but licked it and healed....didn't get no vet to hack off items when she was young....oops crap
Just stubbed that useless toe

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM
Banned

I am at a loss as to what to say to this.

I look at my girl, 8 year old purebred Rottie. Her tail is docked and dew claws removed at the breeder level.

I asked her if she was feeling bad about it. Did she wish she had a tail to swing around with?
And she just looked at me, open mouth, wide smile , gently panting, and even wagging her little stump, before chasing the cat, drinking some water, and now laying on her bed (all as I wrote this.) seemingly quite happy with her lot in life.

As a circumcised male, I have no ill will to my parents for having that barbaric ritual performed on me at minutes old at birth. No long-term anxiety because part of my penis was snipped away.

Apparently I cried and that was it.

Some women prefer it that way???

Two procedures done within the first few minutes, hours, days of being born.

And neither newborn puppy, or baby boy is even aware of what took place.

And yet this is somehow a big deal all of a sudden?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Is it common for dogs to break their tails in the bush? I heard 1 in 200 or 300 but no idea if that’s all dogs or just working dogs. Anyone have a dog break their tail?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 PM

I've had a dog snag his tail on barbed wire. Took forever to heal and every time the scab broke, he'd splatter the room by wagging it!
If a vet doesn't want to do those procedures then why not just refuse? Why do people have to 'ban' everything they don't personally believe in? Is it because they don't trust their fellow professionals to make ethical decisions? Those vets.... you just can't trust them....
Old 02-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I've had a dog snag his tail on barbed wire. Took forever to heal and every time the scab broke, he'd splatter the room by wagging it!
If a vet doesn't want to do those procedures then why not just refuse? Why do people have to 'ban' everything they don't personally believe in? Is it because they don't trust their fellow professionals to make ethical decisions? Those vets.... you just can't trust them....
I know a lab & a Dane this happens regularly, like couple times a year. I do think a vet would dock them, even now, it is a health issue. Just a clueless owner prefers washing blood off the walls......

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King