Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 10:16 AM

Default Door Bell Cameras

A friend sent picture of some creep on her doorstep at 1:45 in morning. He had a hoodie on and did not face the door , he looked back and then rang doorbell.
This was picked up by the doorbell camera gizmo. Casing the place ??
Anyways freaked out the lady and my wife she thinks we should get a doorbell camera. Just interested in the good and bad..what can with stand Alberta weather, actually work like they are supposed to. Any input is appreciated.
[I have a high speed wireless device , actually quite a few but will leave that one alone. Ha]
Old 07-17-2023, 10:17 AM

I have a Ring doorbell and it works pretty good. It does take a monthly subscription to keep a video record. With no subscription it just works as a live intercom. With no saved memory.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2023, 10:29 AM

Default Eufy

Check out their options.

NO monthly fees subscription needed ( options for that with more features if you want ).

Have two of them. Work like a charm. Does everything I need with no fee every month.

Wish I had installed these (easy install) a very long time ago. Handy and easy to use. Great comfort for the lady if she is home alone and for the kids.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:34 AM

I have 2 that were purchased off Amazon... both around $100.... work amazing, notify when there is motion or if someone rings the doorbell... keeps a few days of memory... no cost
Old 07-17-2023, 11:06 AM

I've used Ring as well, they are not ultra-cheap to buy or run, but are definitely good. I put a system in for my in-laws when they were having issues with ne'er-do-wells in their neighbourhood.

I have used Blink (it was even better when the subscription was free). I'm impressed at how good they are for the price. There are adapters that you can get that let you mount them to the inside of a window (which you can use to monitor access to your entrance) which are handy as well, since people can't tamper with them, and you can plug them in to an AC supply near the window so you don't have to worry about batteries.

These devices require a hub, which is cheap to buy. One advantage of the hub is that it's easier to change wifi parameters when you need to; you just change the hub and the devices all follow suit (you don't have to change every device).

Now that Blink has a paid subscription, they still have an option to store data locally on an SD card on the hub. It's just a bit painful in that you need to pull the card to view it on a computer, if you want to review historical data.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:10 AM

If you are trying to "capture" things like this, you are best off with 2 cameras. One door bell (as everyone can see it), then a discrete one facing the door.

Ring is very good.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:54 AM

i have a lorex system. Doorbell camera and 6 1080p HD wired cameras. I have an almost 360* view around my house and can see both sides of my driveway.

we had a guy break into my car and steal the garage door opener at 3am. good thing he opened the garage right then cause i was home and the dog lost his mind, scaring them off.

My system wasnt cheap, and the install was very expensive too, but its great being able to see whos wandering around after dark. Its a very good deterrent too
Old 07-17-2023, 03:08 PM

Thank you all for the advice.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:31 PM

Thanks for starting this thread I got a ring doorbell for Christmas put it away and kind of forgot about it so I dug it out an installed it this afternoon.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:29 AM

RCMP just put out a request this week, for people to register their surveillance cameras with them, so they can use them to obtain/present as evidence. There are a large number they can actually access themselves, as they are web based for the most part, if they know they are there. They are however asking that folk register them so they can issue a req for footage off them, or people send it in if they have something, that's why they want the registration of the cameras, for use as evidence in court.

https://www.ruralalbertacapture.ca/
Old 07-18-2023, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Its a very good deterrent too
Is it though?

To a VERY small degree, maybe. It might scare away an "honest" thief (read, rookie or inexperienced or opportunistic)

https://globalnews.ca/news/4439521/e...ideo-security/

So many meth heads are posing and hamming it up for security cameras right before they break in or steal something. YouTube is full of those videos. They just don't do what most people think they do.

Dont get me wrong, I believe they DO serve a purpose and they ARE a good tool, but only in a multi pronged approach, cameras being the last piece of the puzzle, not the first and definitely not the only piece.

I cringe when someone gets a security camera and thinks "that's it, crime cant happen here" when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'd first be spending my money on solid doors, kick proof and or reinforced jams, better locks & lighting, eliminating any windows in or around the door that can be easily broken for quick access. Security cameras are at the bottom of my list for home protection, but they are on the list. Eliminate all physical possibilities of anyone gaining entry of your home.

Back to my previous point, kick proof jams. I'm guessing that could of been addressed for less than that security camera in that link I provided would of cost those folks and they wouldn't be a victim today. A 2 way doorbell cam could of possibly prevented that B&E but that's pure speculation, some (most) criminals are career criminals and don't care about anything including going back to jail, they just don't care, most are going for broke. Do you really think they care about a security camera?

This post is not an attack on anyone here or security cameras, this is just my opinion/advice take it or leave it, your mileage may vary so lets not turn this into a back and fourth..

While were talking home security, how many of you have the emergency release pull string attached inside your garage overhead door? Get rid of that string!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axxn...BlbnRyeQ%3D%3D
Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 AM

A whole industry built on security systems .

We are prisoners' in our own homes.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I have a Ring doorbell and it works pretty good. It does take a monthly subscription to keep a video record. With no subscription it just works as a live intercom. With no saved memory.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Got the doorbell and security camera, waited until amazon prime sales and took advantage.

Had the doorbell a few years now no issues and just installed the security camera. If that works well then I can see a few more purchases in the future.

https://ring.com/ca/en

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-18-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
RCMP just put out a request this week, for people to register their surveillance cameras with them, so they can use them to obtain/present as evidence. There are a large number they can actually access themselves, as they are web based for the most part, if they know they are there. They are however asking that folk register them so they can issue a req for footage off them, or people send it in if they have something, that's why they want the registration of the cameras, for use as evidence in court.

https://www.ruralalbertacapture.ca/
So, is it that an "unregistered" camera isn't suitable as evidence? Interesting...
Old 07-18-2023, 01:52 PM

I was looking into getting one for the past few years and kept delaying it for no reason… Just ordered the Eufy from Amazon, they are $80 off and free shipping. Now I will need to figure out how to install it… Wife already told me that it has to be a perfect clean install - otherwise I’m in trouble….
Old 07-18-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I was looking into getting one for the past few years and kept delaying it for no reason… Just ordered the Eufy from Amazon, they are $80 off and free shipping. Now I will need to figure out how to install it… Wife already told me that it has to be a perfect clean install - otherwise I’m in trouble….
So hand the box and a screwdriver to her

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

...aaaaaaaaaaand that's how the fight started.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
In other news: husband woke up with a screwdriver in his head and door bell camera up his anus…he has no recollection of what happened…
Old 07-20-2023, 09:26 PM

Default An update:

Got it delivered in two days and had time to install it today. It was actually very easy! The video is super clear, the app is easy to use. We shell see how it will work. But so far so good.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:27 PM

Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Got it delivered in two days and had time to install it today. It was actually very easy! The video is super clear, the app is easy to use. We shell see how it will work. But so far so good.