Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Distant Safe Shooting?

Hey guys,

I shoot a Bowtech allegiance and i was wondering what would be the furthest i can shoot safely? The bow shoots well up to 60 yards and im quite comfortable shooting that far.

However i wouldnt want to risk it on a big bull or buck.

What would you say is the furthest for your bow? Or you've taken?

SteveY
Old 06-28-2009, 05:01 PM
river_runner

Interesting if you are comfortable shooting 60 yards

But ( However i wouldnt want to risk it on a big bull or buck.} That tells me your safe Distant's of shooting is much less good you know this in advance of the up comeing season good luck and happy hunting.

Last edited by river_runner; 06-28-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM

have you practiced shooting your bow under simulated hunting conditions. things like shooting from a treestand, sitting on a stump, kneeling, standing on uneven ground, bending down or up or around a tree and so on?

Shooting a bow at the range with known distances and the ability to maintain prefect archers stance and shooting under actual hunting conditions are tow completely different things.

Then there is the small but important matter of sound traveling faster than the arrow. Even with the fasted bow the sound will arrive at the critters ears well before the arrow arrives at any distance further than 30 yards. This could cause the critter to jump the string. Personally I never shoot much further then 25 yards or just slightly over, preferably much less, but that's just me and what I am comfortable shooting when I am hunting. At the archery range I can shoot comfortably all day long smack in the middle of targets at 60 yards. Like I said target archery and hunting are tow very different things.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 AM

I have shot deer out to 74 yards with a bow. The equipment available today will penetrate and kill the animal. It is only as accurate as you, and there are a lot of variables to the game. Is the deer/elk feeding quartering slightly to or away? Does it know your there? The travel time of an arrow doesn't seem much, but it is. A on the edge whitetail that knows your there is not going to be still when it hears the helical buzzing toward it at 64yds. These are the decisions you need to make as an ethical hunter. On my on days, I can put every arrow out of a 50 shot practice session into 8 inches at 90yds, but what if today is my off day?
Keeps shooting. And like the other guys said, try it off of your knees, leaning turned at funny angles. Hold your draw for 2 minutes and try, all of these things will help you build a confident "range of ethics".
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 AM

when you're hunting, you're only as good as your very first arrow. No other arrow counts.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

I shoot from a treestand at the farm, and on my knees. Trying different ways to shoot. I've passed up 60-70 yard shots because i didnt think they were ethical. This isn't my first rodeo bowhunting, I just find in some hunts you encounter those far shots. I know my bow can make it, and do enough damage to down the animal, however, should i?

Cause it seems when im hunting elk especially i dont seem to get them closer than 40-60 yards.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Bow hunting is about getting close, gun hunting is for shooting far.
Getting close puts the hunt into hunting.

Pete
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Bow hunting is about getting close, gun hunting is for shooting far.
Getting close puts the hunt into hunting.

Pete
Close is also subjective to where you are hunting. In the prairies under 40 is close, and even Bob Robb and the type have written many times that if you want to hunt mule deer and speed goats on the prairie it's a good idea to get sharp out to 70yds.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned

I agree with the safe distance being what your comfortable with. If you can make the shot every time in all conditions while practicing I wouldnt hesetate out to 60 or 70 yards. I took this bull at 60yrds and he only went 50yrds after the shot.

Elk 2003.jpg

Elk.jpg
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I agree with the safe distance being what your comfortable with. If you can make the shot every time in all conditions while practicing I wouldnt hesetate out to 60 or 70 yards. I took this bull at 60yrds and he only went 50yrds after the shot.

Attachment 13216

Attachment 13217
Why can I never see your pictures? Dang it I wanna see the horn!
Old 07-05-2009, 12:03 PM

nice bull, and thank you for answering my question
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Best lesson I ever had on the value of internet forum commentary came when I was trying to figure out if I could put Ivory Soap in an underarm deordorant dispenser for lubing my arrows. I dutifully posted my question on one of the forums I frequented at the time, the answer came back from 3 different posters. Melt it in the microwave Russ. Well since 3 people posted that you can melt ivory soap in a microwave, it must be true.

Heres' the lesson...

Just because the mob says it's right doesn't make it right. An NO you can't melt ivory soap in a microwave.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM

I consistently practice out to 70 and 80 yards but I have never fired an arrow at an animal past 50.
Cam