Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Banned

Default Firearm Licence

Anyone out there know what happens if your firearm licence expires before you get your new one. I've been searching but can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Prior to C-71, there was a 6 month grace period, but that may no longer be in effect.

http://rrgc.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...m-Licences.pdf
Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
Anyone out there know what happens if your firearm licence expires before you get your new one. I've been searching but can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
What happens is your now a law breaker as you are unlicensed but in possession of firearms. I once sent mine in 6 months in advance and it was still late. I called the CFO about it and miraculously I received it in the mail the following week. It’s quite an amazing system we have here. Lol
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 AM

I once had a renewal take longer than expected and the new one showed up perhaps two weeks after my license expiry. At the time I called the CFC and they noted not to sweat it and that the new one had been approved but had not yet been sent.

To ease your own mind, just give the CFC a call yourself and make note of how long the renewal took.

That being said, I’d avoid taking any restricteds out of the house, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
What happens is your now a law breaker as you are unlicensed but in possession of firearms. I once sent mine in 6 months in advance and it was still late. I called the CFO about it and miraculously I received it in the mail the following week. It’s quite an amazing system we have here. Lol
Amazing how that works. Either the people running the system are totally incompetent, or the CFO simply enjoys harassing firearms owners
Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I once had a renewal take longer than expected and the new one showed up perhaps two weeks after my license expiry. At the time I called the CFC and they noted not to sweat it and that the new one had been approved but had not yet been sent.

To ease your own mind, just give the CFC a call yourself and make note of how long the renewal took.

That being said, I’d avoid taking any restricteds out of the house, just to be on the safe side.
Restricted's or non restricted’s. if you don’t have a license to show an RCMP member at a check stop I’m pretty sure the member is going to confiscate and sort it out later. Have you ever seen how the rcmp store your firearms? I went through a messy divorce and can tell you first hand it’s not pretty. It will
make you cry.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Amazing how that works. Either the people running the system are totally incompetent, or the CFO simply enjoys harassing firearms owners
I’m pretty sure it’s both..
Old 06-17-2019, 07:58 AM

This just happened to me this year. I sent in my renewal in Feb. because my license was going to expire the first week in May. I sent in the info by mail and by fax just to make sure it went thru. The end of April I got a letter stating that my license had been reviewed and approved and I should see it in the mail in the next week or so. Well the end of the first week in May comes and no license so I call to see what is going on. The lady on the other end tells me they are having problems with their printer and it is going to take some time. So I asked her, I have competitions in the next week that I have already paid for and now you are telling me I cant go because you guys can't get your stuff together and fix a printer.

She then said that since I don't have my renewed license yet that I was not allowed to bring any firearms out of my home. I then said but it has already been approved so if someone called and asked if I had a license you would say what? She said that I did indeed have a license. I left it at that and hung up.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 AM

My license expires in July and I sent my renewal back in March. Haven’t heard a thing since so I called. After calling they said 10 days for the mail.... still haven’t seen it and that was right around 10 days ago. Same thing happened to me last time I renewed it. Never got it until I started calling asking where things were....
Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM

For my previous renewal I used snail mail, I think for the next one I’ll opt for an online renewal to try to take out at least one stage of governmental incompetence. The fewer gov’t staff involved, the better. I’ll also allow for another 4 to 6 weeks of lead time but I’m not going to hold my breath.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM

Over 40 years now and i have never been asked to produce a firearms licence to anyone except to buy a new gun or to buy ammo.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Over 40 years now and i have never been asked to produce a firearms licence to anyone except to buy a new gun or to buy ammo.
X2
That and a fishing license I've been asked if I had one but didn't have to show it
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
I have never been asked by Fish and Wildlife as they won’t usually as they are provincial. RCMP have asked me twice on two separate occasions at a checkstop on hwy 47 as well as checkstop on hwy 63..
Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Default PAl Renewal

If you have let your PAL expire and wish to renew you will need to mail it into them. If you have an RPAL, send a copy of your Range membership along to avoid delays.

If it hasn't expired you can renew on line. My last renewal of my RPAL I did on line about 4 months ahead of time and I received my new RPAL in the mail within 2 weeks of my application date. To avoid delay I emailed a scan of my Range Membership to the CFC when I renewed and immediately received an email response advising they would forward my Range Membership to those who needed it. System worked very quick and painless.

On the other hand my wife who has had Restricted firearms registered to her since the 1980's converted her PAL to an RPAL and it took close to 8 months.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Expired means expired

One day good, next day criminal

You either have one or you dont
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Expired means expired

One day good, next day criminal

You either have one or you dont
Yuppers as cut and dried as it gets right there....
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

As taxpayers, we pay our MPs wages 365 days of the year
Pick up the phone and call their office.

Be polite but provide them all the details.

Ensure they understand that you expect an answer

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
As taxpayers, we pay our MPs wages 365 days of the year
Pick up the phone and call their office.

Be polite but provide them all the details.

Ensure they understand that you expect an answer

The problem is that he likely won't like the answer. If his MP is a liberal, he will be told that the regulations are to protect the public, if the MP is a conservative, he will be told that as long as Trudeau has a majority, nothing can be done. I haven't seen where the OP posted how long he sent in his renewal before his PAL expired, if it was only a matter of weeks, or even a month or two, then the OP is at least partly to blame for being in this situation