Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Default Sheep Hunting

Hey Guys,

Was wondering how much weight I should plan to pack out if I shoot a sheep this fall? Trying to plan how far Im willing to venture away from the vehicle.

Also if you only had 1000-1500 to spend on binos and a spotting scope what would you get?

Edit: On other thing any resources you think would be beneficial for a new sheep hunter?

Thanks in advance guys
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

budget 100 lbs added for a ram trimmed right down, consider two trips out solo, taking a friend, or eating a lot of it for a day or two before you come out lol

a ewe is pretty doable for a solo packout, some studs here pack them rams out in one go though...

are you handy with a knife? are you going about this solo? if you've never deboned an animal before then i wouldn't suggest you get into this just yet or not without someone with experience to mentor you

the judging experience you'll need to determine legal ram is almost a little science on its own worth a crap ton of time to be proficient with, get on the roads, start taking pics

by the post you sound like you just found out you can buy a ram tag over the counter and can giver? sorry if i made assumptions, but if that's the case you are in for the learning curves of learning curves, about several things, including mountains...and how to find them too

the fastest way to learn will be to tag along with someone who's been at it awhile, good luck
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
budget 100 lbs added for a ram trimmed right down, consider two trips out solo, taking a friend, or eating a lot of it for a day or two before you come out lol

a ewe is pretty doable for a solo packout, some studs here pack them rams out in one go though...

are you handy with a knife? are you going about this solo? if you've never deboned an animal before then i wouldn't suggest you get into this just yet or not without someone with experience to mentor you

the judging experience you'll need to determine legal ram is almost a little science on its own worth a crap ton of time to be proficient with, get on the roads, start taking pics

by the post you sound like you just found out you can buy a ram tag over the counter and can giver? sorry if i made assumptions, but if that's the case you are in for the learning curves of learning curves, about several things, including mountains...and how to find them too

the fastest way to learn will be to tag along with someone who's been at it awhile, good luck
I've known about the over the counter tags for awhile. Just have never had the gear to get into the backcountry. I've invested in all the backpacking gear so this year I might actually get a chance to get out and look for one. (Along with Elk if I'm crazy enough to pack it out)

For Deboning I usually butcher my own deer, so I kind of have and idea how the meat should come off. Obviously a sheep will be different.

The judging part will definitely be the hardest part. I'll see if I can get one of my buddies to come out who's done it before. In saying that I don't want to miss out on a hunt because I can't get anything lined up.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 06-11-2018, 11:45 AM

If its just a ram it can be done in one haul. If you have any decent amount of gear no way in heck!
There is a reason when I hunt solo I have had a pocket full of power bars and no tent....
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I've known about the over the counter tags for awhile. Just have never had the gear to get into the backcountry. I've invested in all the backpacking gear so this year I might actually get a chance to get out and look for one. (Along with Elk if I'm crazy enough to pack it out)

For Deboning I usually butcher my own deer, so I kind of have and idea how the meat should come off. Obviously a sheep will be different.

The judging part will definitely be the hardest part. I'll see if I can get one of my buddies to come out who's done it before. In saying that I don't want to miss out on a hunt because I can't get anything lined up.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
butchering your own experience will be an asset!, there's no difference to a deer, that's a bonus

took me a few years to get on my first legal ram only to spend a few hours with him and never get the 100 that he was legal and i walked away, took lots of pics and confirmed after with people that had the judging down that i just passed up my first legal ram...that stung, however i did a pile of homework after that and was rewarded with the exact same opportunity the following year on same size ram and i knew instantly he was legal when i got the view from 1000 yards up, 45 minutes of climbing, some luck, and he was mine

sounds like you're on your way, work on that judging, pick an area where they live and you can zero in on and start spending time out there learning it inside and out, another mistake i made early was hike all over the dang province, might have been nube's advice actually that said pick a smaller area and learn it well, they are there
Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Good advice above - as for optics on your budget, I’d consider the Vortex Viper HD line for both binos and spotter, or Stiener HX for binos. If I had it to do again, I’d put more money into binos right away - 10x42s and get a tripod adapter for them. It’s amazing how much of a difference the tripod and quality binos can make. I tend to use my spotter less - more for judging or picking apart things that I can’t quite make out. Don’t get me wrong - all glass is super important, but if my budget was tight I’d put the first money into the binos and try to catch up with the spotter later.

Get some time living out of your pack behind you before the season starts - get comfortable out there if you’re not already.

And lastly - pick an area and get to know it. I “wasted” a bunch of seasons chasing the special spot instead of really figuring one out.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 AM

If you are going to carry a spotter with you and other gear you wont be carrying a ram out in one go for sure.
I havn't hunted sheep with a spotter for a very long time. Probably have killed the last 7 rams without one to be honest.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I havn't hunted sheep with a spotter for a very long time. Probably have killed the last 7 rams without one to be honest.
same, too heavy, too bulky, and not enough good.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 AM

A sheep hunter I know would always take change out of his pockets to lower weight you need to carry up mountain. I would pour half water out of my canteen, got alittle thirsty, but enjoyed less weight. Just be safe but as Nube has said carry only what you can get into your pockets.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 PM

So you guys only use Bino's then? That will make it easier for me for sure. Less to haul around.

My plan is to hike in 3-5km and set up a base camp. Then just do day trips out of the base camp. If I end up getting a ram I was planning to pack it out to the truck right away and put the meat in a cooler. Then go back and either sleep, or pack up camp and hike it out. Does this seem plausible? Or do you guys hike all your stuff up the mountain?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So you guys only use Bino's then? That will make it easier for me for sure. Less to haul around.

My plan is to hike in 3-5km and set up a base camp. Then just do day trips out of the base camp. If I end up getting a ram I was planning to pack it out to the truck right away and put the meat in a cooler. Then go back and either sleep, or pack up camp and hike it out. Does this seem plausible? Or do you guys hike all your stuff up the mountain?
As a fellow newbie to backpack hunting, I feel like there’s something I should tell you...remember the hot-crazy matrix? Well, sheep hunters have a successful-crazy matrix. Meaning, the crazier they are, the more rams they have on the wall. Nube is certified. I remember on another thread he said something about hunting 25-30 km in. That’s where the legal rams are. They are the hardest hunted animal in Alberta.

After years of saying I’m not into sheep, I...well, maybe it’s creeping in. Really spend some time on pics and judging. I’ve flirted with it and that’s what’s keeping me out of the game right now. Don’t trust my skills just yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
As a fellow newbie to backpack hunting, I feel like there’s something I should tell you...remember the hot-crazy matrix? Well, sheep hunters have a successful-crazy matrix. Meaning, the crazier they are, the more rams they have on the wall. Nube is certified. I remember on another thread he said something about hunting 25-30 km in. That’s where the legal rams are. They are the hardest hunted animal in Alberta.

After years of saying I’m not into sheep, I...well, maybe it’s creeping in. Really spend some time on pics and judging. I’ve flirted with it and that’s what’s keeping me out of the game right now. Don’t trust my skills just yet.
Does he go in by foot? Im planning to go to a spot where ATV's, and Horses can't get to. Maybe I'll need to go a bit farther in. Sounds like I need to plan for at least two days to pack out.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Does he go in by foot? Im planning to go to a spot where ATV's, and Horses can't get to. Maybe I'll need to go a bit farther in. Sounds like I need to plan for at least two days to pack out.
That was my understanding. If you find a sheep spot 5 km off a road, you better keep it to yourself, and buy a lottery ticket. I’d be happy finding a mule deer that close.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If its just a ram it can be done in one haul. If you have any decent amount of gear no way in heck!
There is a reason when I hunt solo I have had a pocket full of power bars and no tent....
Nube, please elaborate a little bit more on this. It's sparked my attention for sure, but what do you use? Bivy bag with goretek cover? Hammock? What do you do for rain/snow?

It sounds like I need to try what you are doing, as my bag, pad, tent just take up way too much room. No way in the world I could get a ram out as well
Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
That was my understanding. If you find a sheep spot 5 km off a road, you better keep it to yourself, and buy a lottery ticket. I’d be happy finding a mule deer that close.
There are legal rams in huntable areas 5 km from the road. Just gotta put in the time and figure those spots out
Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Ive shot more mule deer(and whitetail to) within 500 meters of a road then I have over 500 meters from the road. Mule deer have been mostly private land, but for WT I hunt public. The roads going through thick brush give them lots of feed in the winter and make easy travel routes.

For Sheep Im curious to see how many guys are out there packing it. For deer hunting, if I get a mile or two off the roads and quad trails I dont see anyone.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Also wanted to see what you guys use for a scope. I have a fixed 6 mounted on my backpacking rifle right now. Will that be enough? Its real clear, and light which is why I got it for backpacking.

Also if you guys recommend going further back to find Sheep I'm willing to do that. Just was thinking I wouldnt see to many other guys 5k back.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
Nube, please elaborate a little bit more on this. It's sparked my attention for sure, but what do you use? Bivy bag with goretek cover? Hammock? What do you do for rain/snow?

It sounds like I need to try what you are doing, as my bag, pad, tent just take up way too much room. No way in the world I could get a ram out as well
Ive done it all. When I solo hunt I have used gortex bivy sack with light sleeping bag. I have done a hammock which I do like. They weigh nothing and keeps you off the ground. I have done the hammock with a light tarp over me and slept in my clothes. Keeps rain off but if it's cold it's hard to dress warm this way. I have slept under rock overhangs with a fire all night. Slept a few hrs and then try and warm up. Nap during the day while waiting for a ram to show and carry on over the next ridge till you find the rams.

In reality I can't do what I used to be able to. I am too old at 42 to hunt like I used to. It used to be all out and live on the mountain and run over as many ranges as I could but I just can't do it now.
I have never weighed a rams head and cape but I would bet an easy 30-40 pounds or so..... add the meat and really how much weight can a guy carry?
These guys that say they carry hundred pound packs for miles and miles and miles are either way tougher than I knew possible or full of it.
I weighed 170 pounds at my peak back when I hunted sheep hard. I don't know many guys that can carry more than half their weigh for very far.

One spot I hunt and have killed rams is 16km in and 16 back to the truck from base camp.
Can you find rams next tot he road? Sure you can! Is your chance of success that high? Not really. How many people drive up and down the highway in K country spotting from the truck? You think you are going to get many rams hiding out from guys like that! but yes it is possible.

Key to sheep hunting is know your area well, have good number of sheep, not readily acessable by the crowds, know the hidy holes where sheep go when pressured. Know mineral licks and grass holes that are out of site and hidden. Lots in the bush like this that hold sheep but they can easily get away if needs be. I shot a ram in a creek that was 30 yards across and steep walls on each side. It was also near the bottom of the mountain but the sheep ran up and down this creek and lived down low where it was cooler, had water, grass along the creek and it had rock sheer cliffs on the creek to get away from the wolves. There was sheep poop all over. I hunted them like whitetails.
Basically know your sheep and the area they frequent. Learn the travel routes.
The biggest mistake is to not learn an area and give up and move to a knew area... unless there are just no rams that live there of course.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Also wanted to see what you guys use for a scope. I have a fixed 6 mounted on my backpacking rifle right now. Will that be enough? Its real clear, and light which is why I got it for backpacking.

Also if you guys recommend going further back to find Sheep I'm willing to do that. Just was thinking I wouldnt see to many other guys 5k back.
It don't matter what scope you have!
It don't matter what gun your have!
It doesn't matter the backpack!
It don't matter!
What matters is what works for you and how you hunt. What matters is knowing how to find the sheep and have the right attitude because those mountains will beat you up especially if you are alone.
If you can shoot your gun to 300 yards consistently then you can kill a sheep no problem no matter the set up.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Was wondering how much weight I should plan to pack out if I shoot a sheep this fall? Trying to plan how far Im willing to venture away from the vehicle.

Also if you only had 1000-1500 to spend on binos and a spotting scope what would you get?

Edit: On other thing any resources you think would be beneficial for a new sheep hunter?

Thanks in advance guys
You can vary the pack load if you're willing to make multiple trips or set up stations along your route. Good advice is not to bag yourself trying to carry too much in one go.

For optics, I strongly recommend you check out Vanguard - I recently bought their Endeavor ED II binos and I'm very happy with them. I compared them with virtually all comparables in the $500-$1000 range and they were the best. I haven't had any experience with their spotters but if they're anything like the binos you'll be happy.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Wouldn't listen to the guys that say a spotter isn't worth the weight, this has got to be the worse advice I have ever read on this forum, especially for a first time sheep hunter. Far too many short rams get shot every year from idiots that don't take the time to properly judge a ram.

Good luck on your trips this upcoming season, Sheep and Sheep Hunting by Jack O'Connor is a good read, I'd recommend picking it up. Also some good books by Valerius Geist when it comes to sheep behavior.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk63 View Post
Wouldn't listen to the guys that say a spotter isn't worth the weight, this has got to be the worse advice I have ever read on this forum, especially for a first time sheep hunter. Far too many short rams get shot every year from idiots that don't take the time to properly judge a ram.

Good luck on your trips this upcoming season, Sheep and Sheep Hunting by Jack O'Connor is a good read, I'd recommend picking it up. Also some good books by Valerius Geist when it comes to sheep behavior.
Guess you can write me off then on any advice I give then guys......
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM

What do you guys think of the Monarch 5's? I see Mcbains has them on sale for around 420. Or is it worth it to step up to the Monarch 7's? They also have the Prostaff 5 spotting scope on sale on their site for around the 400 dollar mark. Ive done a bit more research and have read good things about the Pentax PF 65's and Celestron 65 M2 Regals for spotting scopes.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Guess you can write me off then on any advice I give then guys......
Thanks for the advice. I wont be scared to carry just bino's this year, and I wont shoot to small of Sheep because of it. Only reason I want a spotting scope is so I wont have to walk a mile to see if a Ram is legal. If I can't afford the spotting scope, Ill still be going out.

My next question is how do you guys deal with the psychological part? Im heading into an area apparently packed with Grizzlies as they share similar habitat to Sheep. How do I get around the mental aspects of a solo mountain hunt? Especially considering this place has a large confirmed Grizzly population?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Ever walk through downtown Edmonton or calgary? If you have, you survived a far more dangerous group of animals.

You have about a five billion percent higher chance of being maimed or killed on the highway driving to/from the mountain, than from a bear on the mountain.

Earplugs. That way the mice won’t keep you awake worrying about bears. Believe me, if a bear decides to visit, ear plugs won’t stop you from noticing

Basically, go out there with the attitude that you are the best killer on the mountain and yogi better f’n run.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
You can vary the pack load if you're willing to make multiple trips or set up stations along your route. Good advice is not to bag yourself trying to carry too much in one go.

For optics, I strongly recommend you check out Vanguard - I recently bought their Endeavor ED II binos and I'm very happy with them. I compared them with virtually all comparables in the $500-$1000 range and they were the best. I haven't had any experience with their spotters but if they're anything like the binos you'll be happy.
Where did you get your Vanguards? Looked on Amazon and says it will ship in a month or two. Thats to long for me if Im getting a spotter, as Id like to use the spotter for target practice as well.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Ever walk through downtown Edmonton or calgary? If you have, you survived a far more dangerous group of animals.

You have about a five billion percent higher chance of being maimed or killed on the highway driving to/from the mountain, than from a bear on the mountain.

Earplugs. That way the mice won’t keep you awake worrying about bears. Believe me, if a bear decides to visit, ear plugs won’t stop you from noticing

Basically, go out there with the attitude that you are the best killer on the mountain and yogi better f’n run.
Thanks, I know its more likely I get in a car crash then have problems in the mountains. Still doesn't mean Im comfortable with the idea of Yogi crunching on my skull. haha I like your thought pattern though, that yogi better run. I'll be carrying a 30-06, a 4" buck knife, bear spray, and most likely bear bangers. I can most definitely screw up any bear who wants to mess with me.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Where did you get your Vanguards? Looked on Amazon and says it will ship in a month or two. Thats to long for me if Im getting a spotter, as Id like to use the spotter for target practice as well.
Weird, got mine on Amazon and I didn't wait that long. I didn't have a Prime membership either.

If you're really worried, order with the Prime trial period, then cancel the trial.

They don't get big by being dumb.

Last edited by Prairiewolf; 06-13-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: I just checked, with a Prime membership you'd have it in about 2 days.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 PM

Up to you whether you care to carry a spotter or not but money spent on quality optics is a blessing.
Quality glass will help you see things you will not with subpar glass.
Keep it together, rob
Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 PM

Was it like last year or the year before that guys were saying you have to carry as much as you can in your high end back pack when sheep hunting ?
I was a avid sheep hunter back in the 80s-90s .Went out almost every weekend and some one week trips. solo hunts and with partners.
If it did not fit in my pocket it did not come with me.....Boy did I get shot down on this site.
Carried my ram out holding the horns .If I had a back pack ,chance are I would not have walked up to that farther saddle to spot that Ram.
If you want a Ram go light .