Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 10:39 PM

Default I was reported as a poacher

Went back from shore fishing whites from McGregor today. I got a call from a fish and wildlife officer. He said he wants to meet me and ask questions. Meeting him about 10 minutes after the call. He said someone reported me keeping 4 pikes. The people said they saw that I brought the fish back to my car and dropped the fish(pikes) on the ground. They also reported I was using multiple rods. How could you shore fishing white by using more than 2 rods? Nonsense!! I did not even caught a pike today!! I kept one fish today for supper, and gave the rest to my friends. I provided my friend's name and contacts to the officer for verification.
I showed the picture of the fish I caught to the officer, also showed all the set up, my gears too.
I understood that the officer was doing his job, and I cooperating with his investigation. But I can not understand how could the people made up such funny story? Are they sick? They ruined my day!!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:48 PM

Default I was reported as a poacher

Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bush; 06-02-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Bush;4180568]Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I used one rod all the time!!! I gave the fish to my friends after went back home.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 PM

It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
It is possible that they saw you catch and keep the 4 fish(whitefish) and just assumed they were pike.

And yes you can give away fish as long as you are not over the limit. They do count toward your limit though.

As for the rod issue, that may be an enhancement on their part or not I dont know.
First I did not keep any other fish except whitefish under the limit
Second I only used one rod,
Third, I did not drop fish on the ground

The reporter just made the story up
Old 06-03-2020, 06:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You do know that as soon as you post you will have the third degree.....best just in some cases not to....just look at the whole experience as lesson send learned....and it was good that the fish cops followed up on a complaint....that's a good thing.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush View Post
Ok.... so you caught fish of some kind using 2 rods, I’m sure you can only use 1 rod on open water.....you gave fish to your friend, I’m pretty sure you can NOT give away or sell fish.... your name is fishing for joy, do you realize you can’t fish for anyone either? Now joy is going to be in trouble too because you told the officer

Yes, you can give fish away, but not sell them.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 AM

Sorry to hear this happened. Stressful experience to say the least when someone wrongly accuses you.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:02 PM

don't worry, there will be a karmic balancing
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Like other people said, they assumed that you were catching pike because pretty rare to see people getting open water whitefish, especially from shore.

The rod part sucks a bit for sure. But kind of good the people called it in even though it was an inconvenience. If i was a ways away i would not assume someone was getting whites that often. But i would confirm first. But to each their own. Try not to let it wreck having been successful for whites! Congrats on that!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 PM

Thanks everyone. Just let it be. Hope you enjoy the summer also enjoy the fishing!!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Definitely an inconvenience but glad to hear it all worked out for you! It’s also great to see that people are keeping an eye out for people not following regulations. Honest fisherman should welcome visits from F&W and be happy they are out following up. All of us enjoy fishing and the outdoors and it’s F&W job to ensure there is a good fish population for our younger generations.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM

In BC they have closures to fishing for salmon on some rivers but still allow the FN's to put out nets.

Can someone please explain how this helps one iota for conservation of fish stocks?

Just curious.