Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 10:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Default More Troubles... Hopefully Short Term

Coronavirus hits a mink farm in Denmark, all mink were euthanized and probly very lucky rancher paid... meaning he likely got compensated far more than current value. Not good for the fur industry in general, anything negative in the ranch industry is sure to touch our wild goods.

Beijing Customs has currently stopped importation of raw fur as it is very recently /currently experiencing a new Covid outbreak, not limited to fur but to a broad range of animal products including many food products, however, not including leather nor tanned fur products.

Current sales results in EU have been dismal, likely centred around results of grotesque over-production of mink, and limited travel bans and uncertainties even where possible, mink clearance like 4%, so basically horrible!

I personally hope that FHA will push back their sale a hair, at least past the Trudeau parliament sitting ban that our prime minister has implemented. I suspect Trudeau will keep the border closed as long as he possibly can in attempt to validate his parliamentary sitting closure and continue his shutdown and dictatorial powers as long as possible... hopefully not permanently. I could stand being governed by a dictator, but not a dictator that is also a fool. Also, it is said that the Italians will not give up summer holidays for anything??? Only those talking directly to them are going to know and surely FHA is communicating with them.

I really hope the fall sale will be more than simply brokers. Brokers are given limits and do not exceed those limits given to them by their customers. We need to see some good ole auction fever hit the bidding room in order to realize the full benefit of auction... I hope it happens!

Am hearing that everything except coyotes is virtually dead action at the moment, even marten no interest. Am told there will be 40,000 coyotes at the Aug/fall sale, also told that 70% ish of the coyotes previously on hand sold via private treaty.

There is a silver lining potentially... by rights wild fur should fly a few years from now as it is becoming far too expensive in the western world to raise mink and fox to realize a profit, and be the ranch industry’s undoing. Hopefully the wild fur will flourish...

That is barring the power grab by the new world order people and implantation of new financial system, dictatorial powers, etc. We seem to be very nice sheoples, falling into line ever so willingly.... but that’s a whole nuther topic!!!
Old 06-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Marty, thanks for the update even if not to positive. Low oil prices, low fur prices yuk, wonder if we trappers can apply for CERD $$ due to Corona.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:38 AM

If you made 5000 last year and your income is down you can apply. Of course you had to claim the income on your taxes and everything else to go with it. Would want your ducks in a row before claiming but know a few who have claimed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2020, 10:36 AM

I( said three months ago that Covid was going to have a bad effect on fur sales and prices. I recommended anyone that could, hold onto your fur unless you could sell them for a known price right away. Most everyone on here told me I was full of pooh and the auctions would be just fine. Prices would hold, volume would be strong.

Prices will come back in the future but how long that will take is anyone's guess. Demand in many areas is coming back much faster than predicted even just a month ago so hopefully same happens for fur. Best of luck.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=Goose

Last edited by Dean2; 06-19-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:10 PM

Well prices did hold and volumes were good. Other than top coyotes almost everything else was close to last year prices and clearances. Did it have an effect? Absolutely. As big as most thought? No.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:06 AM

Kingrat, what auction /buyers are you referring too. FHA online auction was terrible for prices, but worse for clearances.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Well prices did hold and volumes were good. Other than top coyotes almost everything else was close to last year prices and clearances. Did it have an effect? Absolutely. As big as most thought? No.
Do tell us more... nothing has been posted, everybody is in the dark aside from inside info and speculation, of which speculation is horribly unreliable. Perhaps you have a very well rounded account summary? With a little of everything in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Other than top coyotes almost everything else was close to last year prices and clearances.
So on the other items are you refering to clearance as “virtually nothing” and levels as “virtually nothing” as well???
Old 06-20-2020, 06:31 PM

marty you live off of speculation and inside information. Your right the sky has fallen and all fur is worthless. Canada goose is out and coyotes will be worthless soon, blah blah. And yes i do have a well rounded account summary with alot of different critters in it and good numbers and my sold percentages sure dont match their report. Like i said other than the best coyotes i did well.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Super! Tell us more please. Doing well is generally defined differently by every individual and is a relatively baseless word/term. Apples to apples is nice, therefore numbers please
Old 06-21-2020, 10:48 AM

What can I say prices were crazy,insane,bonkers. Cant believe it. How else did you describe them off the start again Marty?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:18 PM
AO Sponsor

WOW!!! That sounds AWESOME bobbert!!!

Just SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

😈
Old 06-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Banned

The mink COVID issue isn’t exactly breaking news. As at June 9:

“The first two mink outbreaks were reported on 23 and 25 April at farms holding 12,000 and 7500 animals, respectively. More mink were dying than usual, and some had nasal discharge or difficulty breathing. In both cases, the virus was introduced by a farm worker who had COVID-19. Today, it has struck 12 of about 130 Dutch mink farms. Once COVID-19 reaches a farm, the virus appears to spread like wildfire, even though the animals are housed in separate cages. Scientists suspect it moves via infectious droplets, on feed or bedding, or in dust containing fecal matter.”

I knew about this during Spring trapping and I went harder for muskrats after hearing about it. The value of muskrat goes up when there’s a shortage of mink. Remember 2013 with $12 muskrats? As a wild fur trapper I perceive any shortage of ranched fur as a bonus particularly when it comes to ranched mink and fox. The fewer ranched mink and fox the better imo.

As far as fur goes, I thought that they pretty darned good in the last auction. For example, my lowest DGD coyote pelt sold for $54.40 and my highest DGD sold for $74.80. I thought that was pretty darned good considering a buyer offered me $25 each. Obviously, I would have liked to see the higher grading coyotes sell but I don’t blame the buyers for not dishing out the big bucks for fur that they haven’t even seen.......totally understandable.

Why would a wild fur Trapper worry about a shortage of ranched fur? There’s more demand for wild fur when there’s a shortage of ranched......no?
Old 06-22-2020, 08:02 AM
AO Sponsor

Normally when ranch fur does well, wild fur follows. When ranch fur performs poorly, wild fur again follows. Currently ranch mink is in a state of mind-blowing grotesque, oversupply of epic proportions.

No shortage coming anytime soon for your rat price to pick up. Have to burn thru all the past years of mass oversupply of mink produced in those mindblowing epic proportions... which is why NAFA is gone.

When the radioactive ash settles of the massive oversupply of mink and we can see again, I suspect one of two scenarios will unfold. The first is that there is such a shortage of fur due to fur ranches going broke, mass scale, in the world fur supply that fur prices go ballistic, both ranch and wild, wild like we could not imagine! The second is that fur becomes so short in supply that the industry becomes largely non-viable as manufacturers cannot get goods to work with.

I suspect the first scenario will unfold, and that the Chinese will react accordingly and mass produce mink, low grade compared to western world goods but mink, but will take time for those numbers to build.

In the meantime, in the coronovirus online fur buying world, selling goods sight unseen out of an online catalogue with extremely vague grading descriptions is probably the very best way in the world to unload inferior quality goods! Buyer beware!!!

Regardless... very, very interesting times ahead in these last days!!! Never mind the powerplay effect by this new world order group and their buddies. Likely be the biggest game changer to our fur market.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:41 PM

So in one breath you say that the mink getting the virus and dying is not good for wild fur, than you say theres way to many and the back log needs to get cleared out before wild fur will be good again... so now I'm confused which one is it Marty? Do we want the farmed mink to die thus getting rid of some huge numbers or dont we.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Yes you do sound extremely confused. I doubt that I will be able to help you with that.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:43 AM

your right on that one someone is very confused.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I( said three months ago that Covid was going to have a bad effect on fur sales and prices. I recommended anyone that could, hold onto your fur unless you could sell them for a known price right away. Most everyone on here told me I was full of pooh and the auctions would be just fine. Prices would hold, volume would be strong.

Prices will come back in the future but how long that will take is anyone's guess. Demand in many areas is coming back much faster than predicted even just a month ago so hopefully same happens for fur. Best of luck.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=Goose
Lots of us still sold to buyers for very good averages sure the auction scene was a challenge, But when the auctions got postponed and the handful of buyers that I know and dealt with didn’t stop buying and paying the same that tells me that there is and was still a healthy market for our goods.
I know you Would like to be the one that says “I told you so” but in this case I don’t believe it’s as doom and gloom as you would like to believe you know.
We won’t really know what the auction maker will bring until there can be a buyer presence at the auction and not just online, they’ve proven that isn’t as effective.