Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 05:15 PM

Default Crows killed a Robin in my backyard

Just sighted in again. I'm about 2 inches high across the yard.

Just starting a thread to keep count of how many crows we can relocate via catch and release I'm thinking 100 across the forum would be a reasonable number.

I chased that rotten thing away with another Robin chasing after it. That thing needs to get shown so to speak.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM

When I first moved into my neighborhood, there were many crows, magpies and pigeons. Since a few of us decided to "relocate" these birds, we have "relocated" dozens , and we now have songbirds instead. We still have to deal with the odd crow, but now it's one or two a month, compared to a few every week, like it used to be.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Just sighted in again. I'm about 2 inches high across the yard.

Just starting a thread to keep count of how many crows we can relocate via catch and release I'm thinking 100 across the forum would be a reasonable number.

I chased that rotten thing away with another Robin chasing after it. That thing needs to get shown so to speak.

One of our mods (ThreeForThree) has taken this many (and more) in a morning .......... not within City Limits though.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:40 PM

If I lived out on an acreage I'd put some big bones with meat on them out about 250 yards and setup with my 75 gr 223 handloads and take my time chasing them away I relocated a bunch of magpies over the last couple of years and the song birds are back. Now there are a couple of crows that need to stick to eating band aids and garbage. I've got a different diet for them coming.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:04 PM

I got 5 magpies in 10 minutes Friday.

Pretty quiet here now for predatory birds, but the huge gangs of swallows around is amazing. Counted 30 in air to air combat yesterday, such cool birds.

No grackles or blackbirds yet, the odd crow but they don't stick around.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 PM

can I borrow a couple crows? friggin robins steal all my strawberries. and they toss all the blackbird young out of their nests. at least the blackbirds eat the garden bugs not my worm bait like the robins

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 PM

I feed crows all year long. Have some trained to fly out on the road just off the end of my driveway and take away mice that I leave for them. No end to mice, sometimes 3 a day. Have traps outside the walkout door and underneath (next to tires) our vehicles. Hate the mice more than the crows. No magpies in CNP.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM

5 over 10 ....

Old 07-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Look up ladder traps for Crows on google/ YouTube . They look pretty effective and can deal with multiple crows at a time. Easier to dispatch them when they are inside a wire condo.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
can I borrow a couple crows? friggin robins steal all my strawberries. and they toss all the blackbird young out of their nests. at least the blackbirds eat the garden bugs not my worm bait like the robins
I have never heard of a robin pushing another birds young from a nest unless the other bird is the intruder.
On the contrary, the female cowbird is one to shove another's eggs or nestlings out and deposit her egg and move on to the next nest. The female cowbird is hard to distinguish from a blackbird female. You can usually identify the cowbird by the entourage of male suitors (6-8) in her company. The males have a brown colored hood from the top of the head down to the shoulders and the rest of the body is an iridescent black. Cowbirds do not raise their young, the responsibility rests with the purloined nest owner. Most often you will see a much larger fledgling with it's neck stretched out doing the "dinner dance" with a smaller adult bird like a sparrow feeding it.
Cowbirds along with crows and magpies are not on the protected species list.
I discreetly take out crows and magpies with an air rifle whenever possible. Both have good facial recognition capabilities and will depart as soon as they see you. I've got them so that all I have to do is point at them and they are ducking and diving as they scatter.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018