Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 PM

Why would chihuahua premiums be lower? They are usually very aggressive dogs. Just because you can kick it across a room doesn't mean a kid could defend itself against it.

All dogs are unpredictable and given the right circumstances, will bite. Some people say their dog will never do it. They clearly don't know how to speak dog.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Why would chihuahua premiums be lower? They are usually very aggressive dogs. Just because you can kick it across a room doesn't mean a kid could defend itself against it.

All dogs are unpredictable and given the right circumstances, will bite. Some people say their dog will never do it. They clearly don't know how to speak dog.
Given the choice between being bitten by a Chihuahua, or a pitbull, or Rottweiler, I'm gonna go with the little yappy one every time. It's not killing anyone. It's an obtuse comparison, or a flat out deflection from what happens regularly. Which is brutal death by pitbull or rottie. I haven't googled it but suspect there aren't many cases of death by Chihuahua. Other than maybe a pitbull choking to death on one.

How many times have we had threads on this topic? Many, for sure. Why? Because it keeps happening. Twice in the last week. But always the same apologists offering the same stale nuggets and excuses. Pretty lame.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-30-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM

I don't disagree. I'm not too concerned about visiting someone that owns a chihuahua. I'd say the majority of pitbull owners are caught up in a small man syndrome situation and probably shouldn't own any dog.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:

A chihuahua isn’t gonna do much damage. If it does, it’s because you were already dead by a pitbull.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 PM

And a kid could defend themselves against it. Unless they were very young. In which they should be being supervised anyway.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree. I'm not too concerned about visiting someone that owns a chihuahua. I'd say the majority of pitbull owners are caught up in a small man syndrome situation and probably shouldn't own any dog.
I'm not going to speculate as to the characters or psychological makeup of people who own those types of dogs. There are always the stereotypes that prove true of course. I have a very good friend that owned a pitbull and it was a fantastic pet for almost 13 yrs and never harmed anyone. My friend was a missionary and preacher, as well as a great plumber. And I had a scumbag neighbor who beat his pitbull with a chain regularly, and especially after it bit me as I walked by his yard on the sidewalk. (As an aside he went to jail and his dog was taken and euthanized by county). So, pick your owner. All types.

But the issue is that those dogs have the strength, ability, and genetic predisposition to do damage. And they do. If somebody wants to own one, they need to do whatever is necessary to keep it from hurting anyone. And that means at all times. Obviously, that doesn't happen. The consequences are life ending and life changing sometimes, and never in a good way.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-30-2020, 10:32 PM

Again I don't disagree with you. 2 separate friends of mine had pitbulls (more than 2 but don't apply) that were the nicest gentlest dogs you've ever met. Loved people coming around, came up to everyone for some petting and attention. And then in their adult years just started to go crazy. They were raised right, lots of attention, no violence or abuse. But just went nuts. Both dogs got put down. I was so surprised when I heard. The one dog was the nicest most playful dog I've seen. The owner said he didn't know what happened she just changed one day.

I'm always edgy when I go somewhere with a big dog and they say oh don't worry about him he's never bitten anyone.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Dogs bite

All of them
Little dogs are the worst but they don't cause as much damage so they don't get the hype and reporting!!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd View Post
Little dogs are the worst but they don't cause as much damage so they don't get the hype and reporting!!
And that is as it should be. Small dogs biting should not be tolerated, but saying that new outlets reporting when somebody is literally bitten to death, that's hype?

On a list of horrific painful ways to die, being bitten to death is right up there.

That ain't hype.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:28 AM

Unpopular opinion.

Pitbulls are a sketchy breed owned by sketchy people.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I haven't googled it but suspect there aren't many cases of death by Chihuahua. Other than maybe a pitbull choking to death on one.

How about death's IN Chihuahua? I bet that's pretty high.

Can you imagine how embarrassing it'd be to have mauled by Chico" in your obituary? "Try as he might, he could not dislodge Chico from his left ankle and eventually succumbed to a severed big toe artery.

In lieu of flowers please send donations to Al's Pursedog Rehab Centre in Bawlf, Ab.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Unpopular opinion.

Pitbulls are a sketchy breed owned by sketchy people.
Not at all. I'd even modify sketchy as it suits the circumstances.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well first off, I wouldn’t say many people don’t insure vehicles. The vast vast vast majority of vehicles on the road are insured.
All if's aside,

The number of uninsured vehicles on the roads would amaze you.

Go to a Police auction some time.

Go to the impound yards.

There are far more than you would think.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM

My Lab was bred to hunt and comes from hunting lines. I MIGHT be able to teach him to stay away from water and not retrieve but that doesn't mean that those generations of focus on these traits are just going to disappear.

Some breeds were developed with an emphasis on good temper others focused on the opposite. Some traits can't be taken away and are only suppressed. I agree that there are exceptions and good/bad behaved dogs from every breed.

Training is a huge factor as well BUT in the end it comes down to breed IMO. Also anyone I have personally known with a pitbull wasn't fit to take care of themselves let alone a dog.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 AM

40 years ago nobody had seen a pit bull. Canada has little history of dog fighting.
Pit bulls are muscle dogs bred to fight. Aggression to humans was not tolerated by the early breeders.

Today a lot of dog owners can't instill basic discipline in their dogs let alone see the first nascent signs of aggression and stop it immediately.

Pit bulls are bred to fight. I hunt with a guy who has one (not his hunting dog). I wouldn't dream of taking my dog any where near that dog. He would immediately attack and kill - yet his owner(s) insist he is the sweetest gentle.....

If you want to read about pit bulls google Barbara Kay columnist for the National Post.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM

Seems there is a certain type of human that wants this breed... and its not the type of human the breed needs.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Why would chihuahua premiums be lower?

Their legs are shorter.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 PM

A terrier is a terrier. Weather it’s a jack Russell terrier or a pitbull terrier, they are all a holes.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Given the choice between being bitten by a Chihuahua, or a pitbull, or Rottweiler, I'm gonna go with the little yappy one every time. It's not killing anyone. It's an obtuse comparison, or a flat out deflection from what happens regularly. Which is brutal death by pitbull or rottie. I haven't googled it but suspect there aren't many cases of death by Chihuahua. Other than maybe a pitbull choking to death on one.

How many times have we had threads on this topic? Many, for sure. Why? Because it keeps happening. Twice in the last week. But always the same apologists offering the same stale nuggets and excuses. Pretty lame.
No kidding. Given a choice would you prefer to be hit by a half ton or a 4 year old on a tricycle?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-03-2020, 08:44 AM

If you want to live with a stick of dynamite, get a pit bull. You will never know when it wants to blow up and chew up or kill someone. However they are good for protecting drug dealer inventory.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
But a Chihuahua doesn't have the ability to kill people.
But it can scare you to death