Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM

Default Wholesale

Yep, i sure do, more so when i go into a cabelas outlet...Its too bad that the chain was sold and then expanded to the point of not being viable (well, at least in UFA's eyes)...I remember waiting to receive the new catalogue each year, it was like the Christmas Catalogue!! lol

I remember Hoyt's too, it was a great store, lots of stock, you could walk in there as a new customer and 'wheel and deal' on an item and actually get a discount...I think it was bought by wholesale in 2001??

'rifle
Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Quite a few of us predicted this regret.
Funny how so many piled on Wholesale Sports, as they announced their closing. Imperfect as they were, Wholesale offered some good deals.
Choice is always good for the consumer.
Fortunately, there are some smaller suppliers to add some competition in the marketplace.
Now they are bitching cause they are gone...
Old 06-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Cabelas/Bass Pro really make you appreciate shops like Jim-bows Archery, Fishing Hole and Flys Etc. Still a few small option in the Calgary Area hunting and fishing supplies. Purchased my last rifle and scope at Flys Etc and was pleased with the service and price.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM

I miss it too. Barely go to Cabelas now too, just not getting excited to go there anymore.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensashimi View Post
Yup, down here in Lethbridge there was a huge void left, everyone said Canadian tire would fill the void, what a complete joke, I can count the number of times I’ve been to ct one hand, all times walked out of the store empty handed and and disappointed.
South Canadian tire is quite good as far as gun selection and reloading goes. Home hardware in Coaldale has them beat in the gun department in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Default Yeah I miss the calgary store both as a customer and employee

I could write a book on the rise and fall of WSS being a customer since the old Frenchies location on 9th. Brad was on the floor in those days serving customers with Bob and for outdoors you could get almost anything imaginable.
When I started working there in 2008 and Butlers owned it having only worked 3 jobs in my life I have to say selling guns and supplies and getting paid for it was the best job I had ever had. Most of us were retired so the money wasn't that important but the employee discounts almost broke me the first year or so as bought 3 rifles, couple shotguns and multiple scopes.
Had a lot of good conversations with senior staff my first year full time and you got a Xmas bonus and a $1. and hour raise each year. Only way they had ever seen anyone fired or laid off was if you stole something as they liked to retain quality staff so despite seasonal changes in being busy the job was guaranteed almost. Butlers knew the business inside out and understood how to keep suppliers customers and staff happy. As an employee they had your back.

Then UFA came in and thought they knew better!!

Last edited by wwbirds; 06-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
Yep, i sure do, more so when i go into a cabelas outlet...Its too bad that the chain was sold and then expanded to the point of not being viable (well, at least in UFA's eyes)...I remember waiting to receive the new catalogue each year, it was like the Christmas Catalogue!! lol

I remember Hoyt's too, it was a great store, lots of stock, you could walk in there as a new customer and 'wheel and deal' on an item and actually get a discount...I think it was bought by wholesale in 2001??

'rifle
Catalogs! I love Catalogs! I still have some old wholesale sports catalogs down in the basement along with UFAs old catalogs.
Why can't anybody print catalogs anymore and thats crap about it being to expensive. These big outfits know better than what us customers do and its their job to shove this progress down our throats. Everything that used to be possible is to expensive to do anymore.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I do. I miss Hoyts more.
I miss the original Hoyts store with the old creaky hard wood floors. Loved going into that place.

Wholesale (Calgary) I don’t miss at all. Just another big store with crappy service.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM

I miss Russel's more. Wholesale was a great store though. Anyone on here old enough to remember McRay Pioneer guns and tackle?They were two brothers as far as I recall,great service and product.
So few choices in Calgary now.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I could write a book on the rise and fall of WSS being a customer since the old Frenchies location on 9th. Brad was on the floor in those days serving customers with Bob and for outdoors you could get almost anything imaginable.
When I started working there in 2008 and Butlers owned it having only worked 3 jobs in my life I have to say selling guns and supplies and getting paid for it was the best job I had ever had. Most of us were retired so the money wasn't that important but the employee discounts almost broke me the first year or so as bought 3 rifles, couple shotguns and multiple scopes.
Had a lot of good conversations with senior staff my first year full time and you got a Xmas bonus and a $1. and hour raise each year. Only way they had ever seen anyone fired or laid off was if you stole something as they liked to retain quality staff so despite seasonal changes in being busy the job was guaranteed almost. Butlers knew the business inside out and understood how to keep suppliers customers and staff happy. As an employee they had your back.

Then UFA came in and thought they knew better!!
Before they joined in the old Frenchy's store there was Barotto's and the Russel family owned Russel's and all three had fabulous service. Then the join into Wholesale in the Frenchy's location before the fire sale the service was still top notch and I enjoyed those stores. Russels sold and the new owners didn't give near the customer service and lost a lot of customers. I also miss Gunter's store on Edmonton Trail.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Yes I miss Wholesale. I was in Cabela’s south Edmonton yesterday. After the way a staff member talked to my son and myself we won’t be darkening the doors anytime soon. My wife couldn’t believe it either. It also doesn’t help that Bass Pro gutted the place.
Same here. After extremely rude customer service towards my wife over the phone when she called about stock, and in the store she refuses to spend a dime there. With how she was treated and some not very good customer service my way I will only buy something there now if I really need it and can't get it anywhere else.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Man, I sure miss having two major competitors for our outdoor dollars. While I wasn't enamored by their customer service a few times, at least we had two options and the competition caused real sales. Now Cabelas/Bass Pro send out a flyer and the sale prices are laughable. Oh for the good old days.

Pretty much every day.

Never know how much u miss something till its gone.

Trying to find something locally(for fishing) is horrible, almost impossible.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM

I miss WSS also and will not buy a thing from the one big player who thinks we need them.

I shop right across the country east to west doesn't matter, won't let politics get in the way of gun stores, there all out with the same purpose ,which is supplying hunters and shooters with what they need.

Prophet river with Clay, Italian sporting goods with Victor in BC, Spud at Bashaw Sporting center, Ross at The gun dealer in NB ,and many others.

We need to keep all these smaller guys a float and I don't mind dropping a few bucks for shipping, not much difference then gas money.Plus you can haggle a bit and make friends which is the best part.

JD
Old 06-30-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
It would sure be nice to have a sporting goods store down south definitely. Medicine Hat, lethbridge, wherever. I miss Russels too had the most embarrasing shopping moment of my life in there long ago. oh no wait it wasnt Russels it was the store by the Bridge near the zoo. brain fart I cant remember the name, it burned then moved across the street
Frenchies! thats what it was got my 44 mag for 350 bucks after the fire, best deal ever! there were a couple more smaller stores that went out of business too one off Blackfoot one over by Chinook mall too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM

I do miss Wholesale Sports and Russell's Sports from my time in Calgary, and used to buy a lot of stuff from Hoyt's in Lethbridge when I live there. Can't remember his last name, but used to buy a lot of stuff from Byron.

When I first took up hunting and shooting as a more serious hobby, I used to buy almost everything form the Kotkos family's Plainsmen Sports in Lethbridge.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Banned

Yup miss them quite a bit. A few times I was ignored at the counter but that was usually because their staff was having in depth, knowledgeable discussions with a customer. But give ‘Em some time and they got to you.
Beats the part time students at Cabela’s who don’t really know what they’re talking about.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 PM

I miss Frenchy's on 9th and 9th. I was about 14 the first time I walked into that store, I swear I heard angels. My experience had been Mcleod's and Woolworth's. For a young teen it was overwhelming, probably like other kids seeing Disney Land for the first time. I told all my sea Cadet friends about it, lol, lots talked their folks and made the trip to the big city. I have always pulled for that business because of the emotion it caused in me as a young lad.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I miss Frenchy's on 9th and 9th. I was about 14 the first time I walked into that store, I swear I heard angels. My experience had been Mcleod's and Woolworth's. For a young teen it was overwhelming, probably like other kids seeing Disney Land for the first time. I told all my sea Cadet friends about it, lol, lots talked their folks and made the trip to the big city. I have always pulled for that business because of the emotion it caused in me as a young lad.
do you remember a salesman who had no hands there?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM

Every single time I go to Edmonton or more specifically Prince George. I stopped there every single time on the way through, and spent lots.

I tried to buy at TFH but they have less than nothing for salt fishing.

I have bought some electronics and gear at TFH and a tiny bit from Cabelas, but I am sure glad I stocked up hard when WSS shut down.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM

Miss it dearly. They allways had what I needed and had great prices to boot.

Cabellas dosent hold a candle to WWS, I refuse to even step foot in one.

Now I'm down to The Fishin Hole, a good store with good selection and staff but they are no Wholesale Sports and their hours suck where as Wholesale was allways open.

I'd give almost anything to get them back.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:08 PM

I miss Ribtor and Army and Navy in the old days.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:49 PM

Most of the equipment I have was bought at Wholesale Sports. I used to stock up on things I would need in the future when they had their sales.

Occasionally go to Cabela's or BassPro but it not the same. They have a limited selection compared to what Wholesale Sports used to have.

IMO, I think UFA dropped Wholesale Sports to be "Politically Correct" in the eyes of the management. Pretty short sighted!

There are still some small sporting goods stores out there. I drop into Bashaw Sports whenever I am travelling in that part of the province great little store. Hope they stay in business.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
do you remember a salesman who had no hands there?
No I don't.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
No I don't.
he was an older fellow, no idea his name. I was going bonkers at a fishing gear clearance sale, had both my arms full to my chin, he was in the next aisle and asked me if I needed help, I didnt even glance over and said "I could use a couple more hands I bet" turn around and he comes over, both hands gone. I could have walked under a fat snake in a deep wagon rut. He didnt even bat an eye. I still feel bad when I think about it. I didnt know!!!!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Yup for sure I miss them. There’s nowhere else in lethbridge to go browse for any of that stuff. Was just lamenting their departure with a couple buddies the other day
Old 06-30-2020, 06:38 PM

Nope. I sure don't. I'm a fishin hole or crappy tire kinda guy. If I want a gun or a box of shells I go to Bashaw or stettler support the locals, if I want a tub of minnows I buy from husky or local buisness close to the lake. Just me being me.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM

Miss them alright. Wholesale had more fishing lures in one aisle than Crappy Tire and Cabelas have in their entire store combined. Crappy Tire is like Tim Horton’s to me. No idea what the draw is. Expensive as hell never have anything on sale in stock. I hate the place with a passion.

Basspro in Calgary has a decent inventory but there too much bass related gear much of it isn’t applicable for our waters.

Try to give The Fishin Hole and P&D as much business that I can nowadays.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 PM

Proline is a good little shop in Inglewood, I try and buy everything there if they have it .
Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Man, I sure miss having two major competitors for our outdoor dollars. While I wasn't enamored by their customer service a few times, at least we had two options and the competition caused real sales. Now Cabelas/Bass Pro send out a flyer and the sale prices are laughable. Oh for the good old days.

Was just thinking this when I got the flyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I do. I miss Hoyts more.
Hoyts was great for sure. I also enjoyed S.I.R. in Winnipeg, I was often in there when I lived there. I think Wholesale actually bought them? And sometimes I miss Wholesale a bit, just not here in GP so much. Service was sometimes good. Sometimes. We have Barton's, Trapper Gord's, Primetime, Bullets and Broadheads, Big Timber Archery, the new Canadian Tire has a pile of stuff as well as a decent gun counter, and Corlanes is just a 90 minute drive as well.I'm ...lots of places to shop here.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-30-2020 at 08:40 PM.