Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 PM

Default Trex Composite Decking questions

Hey Folks,

My elderly neighbor has been talking about recovering her front deck for some time, she already has the trex deck boards. She has been getting a few quotes lately and she showed me some of the quotes, and since I know she’s on seniors income, I am thinking I might go over there and recover it for her. Having never installed trex before I’m a little hesitant to do it. But the deck part should be simple enough with the installation clips. I know the joists need to be 12” on center. So thats no issue I’ll add some as required. It’s a small deck. 10’x6’. Shouldn’t take too long and maybe I can save her a couple thousand dollars.

Where I’m having the hang up is on the stairs and railing. There’s currently metal stringers for the stairs. Can those be used? How does the trex attach? Or am I better off going with wooden stringers?

Then the handrail? How is that securely attached?

Currently surfing YouTube for info. But hoping to draw on the AO experience here.

Thanks in advance
Newf
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 PM

Ive seen bolts through to the metal stringers,add some grip tape.Hand rail posts again bolted through to solid wood.Not sure if thats the right way but thats what Ive seen.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:08 PM

I've built a deck with composite decking. We used conventional pressure treated for the joists and stringers and just laid the composite on top. The stairs were done the same way, but I'd think you would attach it the same way to metal stringers as you would the conventional wood decking - should be some bolt holes there on the tread part of the metal stringer.

We used railing and glass panels pre-fabbed - but I'd imagine the posts would be the same idea for the composite. Pocket the post locations when you are doing your joists and stringers, put a double layer of dimensional to bolt through and the post will be solid. Don't put the posts on the outside of the deck (or use those silly notched posts) - that is a novice move and it just takes a minute or two to do it right and build a pocket and cut out a deck board when you are decking it. Looks way better too IMO.

Most of that stuff works, cuts, and acts like wood - it was allot easier than I thought it was - despite being nervous about cutting something too short (that stuff is pricey).
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I've built a deck with composite decking. We used conventional pressure treated for the joists and stringers and just laid the composite on top. The stairs were done the same way, but I'd think you would attach it the same way to metal stringers as you would the conventional wood decking - should be some bolt holes there on the tread part of the metal stringer.

We used railing and glass panels pre-fabbed - but I'd imagine the posts would be the same idea for the composite. Pocket the post locations when you are doing your joists and stringers, put a double layer of dimensional to bolt through and the post will be solid. Don't put the posts on the outside of the deck (or use those silly notched posts) - that is a novice move and it just takes a minute or two to do it right and build a pocket and cut out a deck board when you are decking it. Looks way better too IMO.

Most of that stuff works, cuts, and acts like wood - it was allot easier than I thought it was - despite being nervous about cutting something too short (that stuff is pricey).
x2... I have done 2 huge decks with trex...buy a shade darker as they weather lighter and make the spacing larger for better ice and snow drop ... i used shadow tracking and screwed from underneath ... it is my understanding that there are special screws now that counter sink in through the trex from the top... great stuff.. good on you to help her out
Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM

there are special screws now that counter sink in through the trex from the top... great stuff.

A lot of people neglect that.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2020, 10:16 AM

I have it on my front porch and my kitchen balcony, my only complaint is its as slick as all get out when covered with any snow or ice. I would never use it for a senior residence, unless you covered it all with grip tape
Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 PM

I would talk to her and see about doing wood for the steps and then paint it with a product like a Solid color SuperDeck that has the anti skid additave instead of the Trex as the Trex does get super slippery when wet, snow covered or icy. Thinking from the senior citizen standpoint I'd hate to see her fall and break a hip or worse. If she still wants to do Trex for the steps there should be a self tapping screw that will go into a metal stringer and counter sink itself and definitely do the skid strips. My inlaw's have a boat dock made with them but for the life of me I can't remember the brand of fastener.