Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2022, 06:40 AM

Default Wabamun

Does anyone know if Wabamun can be driven on ? Thxs
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM

We were out there last Sunday, lots of Quads and sleds with the odd truck. We were out from the Townsite and sitting at about 14" of ice.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:22 PM

Be careful - there may be 12"-14" in most places, but it will not be consistent yet and there are still areas only 8" thick on some popular spots.

I don't drive on there until after Christmas or new Years usually - and only after test pilots have blazed a trail (and survived) before I drive on.

Also - don't drive under bridge at entry of moonlight bay - every few years a vehicle goes down there it seems.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:03 PM

In-laws bought a place on the lake Seba side. He’s not much of a fisherman, but he took his Jeep Wrangler out for a rip on the lake the other day, so take that for what it’s worth.

I don’t have much success in the summer fishin, but kinda stayed in the Seba bay. I have seen a couple shacks on Seba side this winter, but wondering if anyone knows where the majority of people set up their shacks for the day? Really the only thing I’m interested in doing out there this winter lol

I got a sled stored out there, so I can rip across, but I have never really spent anytime trying to fish the lake, any tips? Big lake to just toss down a shack and chance it lol
Old 12-23-2022, 06:33 PM

Can't go wrong with the drop off at Fallis Point .
Old 12-25-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post
In-laws bought a place on the lake Seba side. He’s not much of a fisherman, but he took his Jeep Wrangler out for a rip on the lake the other day, so take that for what it’s worth.

I don’t have much success in the summer fishin, but kinda stayed in the Seba bay. I have seen a couple shacks on Seba side this winter, but wondering if anyone knows where the majority of people set up their shacks for the day? Really the only thing I’m interested in doing out there this winter lol

I got a sled stored out there, so I can rip across, but I have never really spent anytime trying to fish the lake, any tips? Big lake to just toss down a shack and chance it lol
Scary man. Be careful. Im always suprised more people dont have vehicles going through. Everyone be safe out there!
Old 12-26-2022, 08:40 AM

Anyone been out in the last couple of days. How thick is the ice? Are people just walking on ? Im thinking of going out Wednesday from Town Site. Thanks
Old 12-26-2022, 08:46 AM

Ice under the train trestle is always thin and usually non existent. So many vehicles fall in there it isn’t even funny.

As for ice conditions. Any lake can have +/- 5 inches of ice.

Reports of 14 inches should never be assumed to be a uniform 14 inches.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-26-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post

Fallis is usually good.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:51 PM

Default South Side Launch

Sorry for the hijack... does anyone know if the new launch on the south side is open for ice access?
Old 12-27-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploneis View Post
Sorry for the hijack... does anyone know if the new launch on the south side is open for ice access?
I am aware of a new launch .... where is this new launch? I am curious for a couple reasons but also know there are some sketchy ice conditions along the south shore with some springs in some areas.

Town site and Fallis are usually pretty good entry points and not too many hazards usually (except under the bridge which is really sketchy).
Old 12-28-2022, 11:17 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are re-doing the old launch at Sundance generating station. Not sure if it's open, didn't make it out that way during summer to see the progress, but there are several other launches on the south side
Old 12-28-2022, 05:37 PM

I checked anglers atlas and they show a launch right in the middle of the lake. Not sure I'd try that one.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are re-doing the old launch at Sundance generating station. Not sure if it's open, didn't make it out that way during summer to see the progress, but there are several other launches on the south side
Ah, OK .... thought there was maybe a brand new one ...

The Sundance one is the one which I WOULD NOT drive out on .... a couple springs and thin areas in there and a couple trucks down (or stuck bad) near there.

I think there was a post of a F 150 a couple years back that went down.

That same weekend, other side of the lake we had a consistent 18"-20" of ice everywhere ...
Old 12-29-2022, 06:34 PM

In years past, we always drove on at the Sundance launch. Trick was to drive east from there and keep a good distance from the shore.. As dryfly says, the county was building a new launch at the old site. According to the municipal web page, it was supposed to be finished this past fall.

Sent from my SM-A525F using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2022, 09:54 AM

There's also a good access at RR53 on the south side in the winter. Water drops off pretty quick there too, so if you're after whites, you don't need to venture too far out. Caught my quickest 10 whites there ever about 20 years ago, limited out in half an hour in about 12' of water
Old 12-30-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
There's also a good access at RR53 on the south side in the winter. Water drops off pretty quick there too, so if you're after whites, you don't need to venture too far out. Caught my quickest 10 whites there ever about 20 years ago, limited out in half an hour in about 12' of water
Ah to live in the past..The whites situation is different now, I am down to 1 if I am lucky all season.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
Ah to live in the past..The whites situation is different now, I am down to 1 if I am lucky all season.
Ain’t that the truth. The difference between the good old days and now for whites is astounding. Used to be one of my favourite winter fisheries……would always take 2 for the smoker, catch 10-20 easily, that was a normal day!
Old 12-30-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Ain’t that the truth. The difference between the good old days and now for whites is astounding. Used to be one of my favourite winter fisheries……would always take 2 for the smoker, catch 10-20 easily, that was a normal day!
Ah nostalgia... was my preferred fishery before the spill.

Was out there today. No shortage of smallish walleye and pike. Saw several large whites cruising in the distance but they just won't come to the lure.

Answered my own question. The launch looks finished, with outhouses and parking lot. It's surrounded by a high chain link fence, though, and the gate is locked.

Thanks for the ride down memory lane!

Old 12-31-2022, 06:41 AM

That was an amazing time. Huge pike at the warm water discharge and tons of whites right at the train trestle especially in fall. The big question is are guys driving on yet? And is it safe to if they are?
Old 12-31-2022, 08:53 AM

Sorry. I walked on from the south. Nobody driving in that neck of the woods. No idea what's happening on the north side.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:41 AM

I drove my diesel on south side bout a week ago .. giver
Old 01-01-2023, 05:45 PM

Default Some better than none

lots of vehiicles on the ice, I found my spot in the fog. 7 small pike, 2 little walleye, 1 medium burb, all released waiting for you, 7 whites cruised over to the village none came for a bite,2023 started great. Who's going tomorrow?
Old 01-02-2023, 05:10 PM

Wab. Fishing today was slow few hammer handles, actually saw some whites , couple small walleye, hundreds of 4 inch perch cruising. Maybe intercept the clean lake crew down south.Who's going tomorrow?
Old 01-06-2023, 06:18 PM

Fallis was a bust for me 1 small pike, I hit another part of the lake away from the crowds for a few hours, 3 small pike,4 small walleye, 4 whitefish came looking hundreds of 3 inch perch, tomorrow's another warm day
Old 01-07-2023, 01:32 PM

Out at Wabby today, lots of small/medium perch and quite a few Walleye. One pike swam by but he looked thin and wasn't interested.

The highlight of my morning was landing a whitefish that was cruising in a school in the middle of the water column. I was using a small spoon with a treble and maggots. I released him back into the wild. I will say these whites in Wabamun are giant compared to Gull and Sylvan. I also think they're not eating the typical small insects that you find in most lakes. I think they're big enough now they go after small minnows. How to find em though, no idea, but I'm gunna go back and target them with small spoons or russian hooks from now on.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:53 PM

Well, I feel better knowing it's not only my lures/bait that the whites are ignoring. Seems to be a fair amount of decent sized whites cruising by, but they simply have no interest in what I'm offering.

The funny/frustrating thing was, I had a white come in, scoop up a minnow that fell off one of my hooks without hesitation. Add a hook and they seem to be repelled by it.

I hate white fish. Probably the only species I have trouble consistently catching anywhere !!!!
Old 01-07-2023, 04:45 PM

another day, all fished released unharmed, small school of whitefish came in for a look, 1 was interested for a second, 1 decent burb, pike had no interest today, few walleye another glorius day, ps. I was the one fishing away from the crowd=almost heavenly. I hope this isn't the glorious days when we look back at this fishery.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:05 PM

Was on Southside today 24" of ice. Landed 6 walleye and lost another 4 at the hole.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."