Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=Meow;1833139]I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

One thing I do think about is, given that so many baby boomers have and will be entering retirement, this may put a fair burden on the budget.

QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!

Within the next 10 years all the boomers (myself included in that number) will be over 65, When that happen over 25% of the population will collecting CPP, OAS and other pension plan benefits. Yet as a socio-economic group, there is no other group as wealthy as the boomers. Some estimates put 80% of North American household wealth controlled by the baby boom generation.

You young'uns better start making some serious money so you can pay the higher taxes needed to support us boomers to the lifestyle we have become accustomed to while fishing for free!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Pikebreath;1834084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

One thing I do think about is, given that so many baby boomers have and will be entering retirement, this may put a fair burden on the budget.

QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!

Within the next 10 years all the boomers (myself included in that number) will be over 65, When that happen over 25% of the population will collecting CPP, OAS and other pension plan benefits. Yet as a socio-economic group, there is no other group as wealthy as the boomers. Some estimates put 80% of North American household wealth controlled by the baby boom generation.

You young'uns better start making some serious money so you can pay the higher taxes needed to support us boomers to the lifestyle we have become accustomed to while fishing for free!!!
BINGO....trouble on the horizon
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Definitely a touchy subject. Wow. I guess when I become a senior, a five buck fee wouldn't be all that bad. I think we need more seniors input on this one. I still think it should be a reduced fee though. Seniors discount at restaurants, why not on license fees too??? IMHO. Really, what is the average fisherpersons per lake, 300 or something like that? I think there is enough anglers to handle the fee load.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite View Post
Definitely a touchy subject. Wow. I guess when I become a senior, a five buck fee wouldn't be all that bad. I think we need more seniors input on this one. I still think it should be a reduced fee though. Seniors discount at restaurants, why not on license fees too??? IMHO. Really, what is the average fisherpersons per lake, 300 or something like that? I think there is enough anglers to handle the fee load.
No fee has been set yet....the point is....should there be a fee for seniors....I say NO
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
No fee has been set yet....the point is....should there be a fee for seniors....I say NO
My dad turns 83 on tuesday,, I asked him yesterday and he said "sounds fair" and had many reasons why. He is also of that salt of the earth group that that ppaid his dues, never complained and so forth.

Our fuel consumption per month to fish is about $250, $20 on potato chips alone $15 bux per year is no big deal.

Every fisher should have a license whether free or a small fee for the below sixteen and over 65. As mentioned, just to get the current regs into the hands of those who dont go to the counter at the fishing store.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Should kids under 16 have to pay to? There has to be a light at the end of the rainbow so, seniors should get their license for free.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 AM

I'm 3 years away from 65 so I'm looking forward to fishing for free. Just remember that license fees are just taxes. Every time you turn around we are being TAXED. It is not the cost of the license that is the issue it's just that seniors will pay less tax. Even with a free license add up all the taxes you pay to hunt and fish, gas tax, hotel room tax, GST on gear. And today if you want to keep a walleye pay more tax on that tag you need.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Banned

I dont so much know about the seniors thing but charging for kids is just plain wrong IMO. I see a bunch of guys on here saying they would gladly pay for their kids fishing licence. Thats great for your kids, but I grew up in a home where my parents couldnt care less if I went fishing or not. We grew up well under the poverty line and what money I could get my hands on in a year (Usualy about $20 for my birthday) barely kept hooks in my tackle box. If I'd have had to spring for a fishing licence I would never have been able do it. As well I often take my childrens non-fishing friends out just to give them a taste and see if they like it, if me or their parents had to spring for a licence this would likely happen alot less. I'm sure theres plenty of us on here who got into fishing after being invited along by the neighbors, we could kiss most of these life long licence buyers goodbye should a children's licence be brought in. The seniors will be ok, do not licence the children!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Folks,

Here is some background material on seniors

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=4268

Catch ya'

Don
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks for posting the link/info DA
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Personally I think it should be same for seniors, but $15.00 is a reduced rate and is better than nothing.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
I'm 3 years away from 65 so I'm looking forward to fishing for free. Just remember that license fees are just taxes. Every time you turn around we are being TAXED. It is not the cost of the license that is the issue it's just that seniors will pay less tax. Even with a free license add up all the taxes you pay to hunt and fish, gas tax, hotel room tax, GST on gear. And today if you want to keep a walleye pay more tax on that tag you need.
Think of it as a user fee.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

As for kids, a $5.00 licence for (fishing on their own or fishing with adult with their limit part of the adults). Or regular priced for their own limit.

See to many people with their kids "fishing" having rods for each and limits for each taking fish and the kids are hardly ever around. Not poaching but should be. Need to fix that loophole!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
This is probably no more than a rumor, we will jsut have to wait and see. The same as they are going to alllow cross bows during archery season.PG
Oh no you didn't!! lol

Anyway I think a reduced rate for seniors is fair but I dont agree with kids needing a licence....maybe change the age to 14 instead of 16 or something like that but the only thing I can see making kids have licences is Dad or uncle might not take the youngster along to "find out" if he likes fishing, or for the one or two trips a year if it's going to cost him $25 bucks a kid.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Oh no you didn't!! lol

Anyway I think a reduced rate for seniors is fair but I dont agree with kids needing a licence....maybe change the age to 14 instead of 16 or something like that but the only thing I can see making kids have licences is Dad or uncle might not take the youngster along to "find out" if he likes fishing, or for the one or two trips a year if it's going to cost him $25 bucks a kid.
If the licence was $5.00 ish for kids with limit part of an attending adults licence or $26.00 for setting the kids up to have their own licence.

But dad or uncle might spend hundreds to find out if they want to play hockey or some other sport?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM

I personally think they should leave everything the hell alone. Trying to make a few extra bucks off of seniors and kids is dumb. If they were to double the cost of fishing licence for those that require it would make more sense. Now if you will excuse me I have to go and polish my cross bow. Any suggestions as to a good brand Mike?
PG
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Folks,

Here is some background material on seniors

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=4268

Catch ya'

Don
LOL I like your last comment there. "I believe you should get what you pay for, therfore even at $15 you are paying too much compared to other provinces." Great line.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I personally think they should leave everything the hell alone. Trying to make a few extra bucks off of seniors and kids is dumb. If they were to double the cost of fishing licence for those that require it would make more sense. Now if you will excuse me I have to go and polish my cross bow. Any suggestions as to a good brand Mike?
PG
Heard that Ten points are good!! At least that what Cody Robins says!!! Lol
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

OK...so I have changed my stance on this now....after a little investigation...it seems that the highest rate of fishing fines goes to seniors....so maybe a nominal fee and a set of regs will better keep them informed