Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Crap, the only people that can tell you why they kept them are the people in the pics - it DOES NOT matter what type of hook, what system , whatever - fish are going to get hooked deep at times, and need to be killed.
others will be taken to eat - PERIOD!!
get off your "Too bad you had to kill them" horses people, I like to eat pike, do I keep all of them I catch - no.

But if I deiced tom keep one, it's none of anybody else's business.
Every instance is different, and it's up to the person to decide what they are going to do with it.

Crap, maybe some of you guys that are spouting of should quit killing the big deer you brag about to "save the herd"!

Cat
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Nothing wrong with keeping those fish. Look at tobin lake there tons of giants like that and lots of people keep them. The 10-20lb fish are the prime spawners anything over that has done its job in the life cycle and can be removed. It's the middle size of fish we need to protect.

Congrats on some hogs!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Default come on

The only thing those pike have over the smaller "breeding stock" is age. Pike get big over time, with plenty off food they can grow to be monsters no matter if there mom was a first year mother or a 7th year mom. Look at it this way with a couple larger fish out of the water, gives way to the few generations below those fish to grow large, big fish dont grow big by eating 100's of 1" minnows in a day, burns to much energy, they skulk around looking for a decent meal. All you guys that are all "oh no you kept em and are going to eat them, maybe get one mounted, thats horrible, you should have released them back so that in a few days they are dead and getting eaten by suckers and water bugs" whats wrong with just congratulating the guy and his buddy and I beleive to be wife or g/f????
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, it never ends. No one can keep their yaps shut on this. It is inevitable. Let me get your soap box ready so you can stand on it and provide us all with your wisdom. We are but your stupid flock ready to soak up your very words. i.e. "Give it a rest please".
ooohhh, getting a little hurt cause someone doesn't agree with you on an anonymous forum?? muffin.. I'll say what I want. Don't like? Don't read. bye!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Well...here we go. I am sure the debate will start and some unfortunate things will be said.

While I personally don't agree with keeping fish that large, the OP is fully within his rights to do so. The regulation is the problem we (those that agree) should be focused on. If you don't like it, do something about it. Hence, why I support slot limits.

That being said, it appears the OP was put in a position I have been fortunate enough to avoid: a big hen with a swallowed hook. Will it survive? Don't know...

So I will say this:

If you kept them because they were all deep-hooked, I can understand...but I would look at my method to prevent it happening in the future.

If you kept them for no other reason besides the fact that you could...that is another story.

Just my two cents.
I agree with all this.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Great catch Full Throttle! Never mind eating them at least one of those would be going on the wall if it was up to me. Too Bad the peanut gallery had to chime in cryin'. Funny how the guys who can't catch fish always blame other Anglers, fisheries etc. for there lack of skill. Oh well, the worlds full of them unfortunately. Thanks for Posting and once again congrats!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Nothing wrong with keeping those fish. Look at tobin lake there tons of giants like that and lots of people keep them. The 10-20lb fish are the prime spawners anything over that has done its job in the life cycle and can be removed. It's the middle size of fish we need to protect.

Congrats on some hogs!
Tobin Lake - 5D - angling limits are 3 walleye/sauger in combination, none may be between 55-86 cm; 4 pike, none may be between 75-115 cm. Use of barbless hooks is mandatory.

This is why Tobin produces 20 fish days, with averages in the 38inch range. Ill put up a new thread monday or tuseday with our results from this coming wend.
And yes, let the big girls go.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=119387
you will not see any negative comments in threads like these ones. FYI.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
Tobin Lake - 5D - angling limits are 3 walleye/sauger in combination, none may be between 55-86 cm; 4 pike, none may be between 75-115 cm. Use of barbless hooks is mandatory.

This is why Tobin produces 20 fish days, with averages in the 38inch range. Ill put up a new thread monday or tuseday with our results from this coming wend.
And yes, let the big girls go.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=119387
you will not see any negative comments in threads like these ones. FYI.
You can find epople who will post negative comments anywhere, form ice fishing to using too light a rig, to C&R!
There are actually those people against catch and release.
barbles/barbed, bait, the list is infinate.
cat
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Big predators are not needed for spawning, they are needed to regulate the fishery. Kill the big sows, you cause irreprable damage. Stunt it out, flood the system with small predators, call it what ever you want, but our actions on these inland closed systems are the only reason our fisheries look like they do today. The regs need to be changed, the days of killing large predatory fish should be long gone. This stuff has been known for years. Congratulations on your catch boys. Change your tactics to avoid deep hooking these gem's. If freezers need to be filled, chase the more numerous prey species, or help our stunted out pike fisheries by killing and eating the small just legal pike. Removal of even one big predator has severe repricussions.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
hunter49

Quote:

Congrats on some hogs!
Wtf are you talking about? Those fish are illegal to keep from Tobin. At Tobin you are allowed to keep 4 total... small ones for eating (under 29.5") and big ones for mounting purposes (over 45.3")
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Yup, we figured this would be the outcome of the thread. BTW we will be mounting the two of them. And thanks to all the sincere thank you's.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Yup, we figured this would be the outcome of the thread. BTW we will be mounting the two of them. And thanks to all the sincere thank you's.
Cool, then you can show your grandkids what the fish in Alberta used to look like! lol
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Big predators are not needed for spawning, they are needed to regulate the fishery. Kill the big sows, you cause irreprable damage. Stunt it out, flood the system with small predators, call it what ever you want, but our actions on these inland closed systems are the only reason our fisheries look like they do today. The regs need to be changed, the days of killing large predatory fish should be long gone. This stuff has been known for years. Congratulations on your catch boys. Change your tactics to avoid deep hooking these gem's. If freezers need to be filled, chase the more numerous prey species, or help our stunted out pike fisheries by killing and eating the small just legal pike. Removal of even one big predator has severe repricussions.
Our tactics are the reason that we were catching and the guys beside us where pulling up their herring.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Sorry your thread went the way it did Full Throttle. At least you were prepared for the jelous folks. For what it's worth, thank you for having the stones to Post those pics!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Sorry your thread went the way it did Full Throttle. At least you were prepared for the jelous folks. For what it's worth, thank you for having the stones to Post those pics!
The point of the guys saying release is going over your head.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Great looking catch, Full Throttle. Keep posting pics. I'd be interested to see what the taxi can do with those monsters, I've seen some pretty cool mounts lately.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
The point of the guys saying release is going over your head.
Lol and I'm looking for an argument? Please stick to sending me more pms instead of further ruining this thread. Or maybe Start a thread to discuss your concerns. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
Wtf are you talking about? Those fish are illegal to keep from Tobin. At Tobin you are allowed to keep 4 total... small ones for eating (under 29.5") and big ones for mounting purposes (over 45.3")

Re-read my post mr angry it's a slot limit you cannot keep between a certain size. Over that certain size you can keep. They protect the middle class fish because they are they main spawners
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM

??? Do guys seriously use the PM system to tell you they don't agree with your posts??
Those are some hogs, thanks for posting the Pics!!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Lol and I'm looking for an argument? Please stick to sending me more pms instead of further ruining this thread. Or maybe Start a thread to discuss your concerns. Thanks.
hahaha
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
??? Do guys seriously use the PM system to tell you they don't agree with your posts??
Those are some hogs, thanks for posting the Pics!!
Yup, I got two today compleate with Name calling lol!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I just pm'd you to find out if you were seriously thinking that everybody who has concerns for our fisheries is jealous of big fish caught by others, or if you were just being a ********. Was trying to keep the thread from deteriorating. Oh well.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
hunter49

Quote:
Re-read my post mr angry it's a slot limit you cannot keep between a certain size. Over that certain size you can keep. They protect the middle class fish because they are they main spawners
I re-read it and it still does not make any sense. The slot size at Tobin does not allow you to keep any under 115cm (45.3") the biggest they got was a 109cm. That means they could not keep any of those fish. Your example is an odd one. I don't know if you have ever actually fished Tobin, but not many big ones get kept out there (other than the odd monster pike for mounting purposes)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
I re-read it and it still does not make any sense. The slot size at Tobin does not allow you to keep any under 115cm (45.3") the biggest they got was a 109cm. That means they could not keep any of those fish. Your example is an odd one. I don't know if you have ever actually fished Tobin, but not many big ones get kept out there (other than the odd monster pike for mounting purposes)
I wasn't referring to the lengths of fish they caught. Yes if that was tobin the would have to let them go. And yes I've fished tobin in the summer and winter. Our biggest fish was 47" and 30lbs and we let her go to swim another day.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
If im correct on the looks of the shore line my son caught a 27 up there this summer that is on the wall...guess im as much too blame as you for killing our fisheries!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
ooohhh, getting a little hurt cause someone doesn't agree with you on an anonymous forum?? muffin.. I'll say what I want. Don't like? Don't read. bye!
No muffin cakes, we have just had enough from the likes of people like you. Been said 1,000,000 times before. Its old now. Go yell at your kids or whatever a person like you does for kicks.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Amen!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No muffin cakes, we have just had enough from the likes of people like you. Been said 1,000,000 times before. Its old now. Go yell at your kids or whatever a person like you does for kicks.
lol, keep killin em! Who cares right? There's a reason it's been said a million times.. can you figure it out?? I'm guessing no. hahahahahahah

I like to see big fish put back = I like to yell at my kids lol!!! you're funny, but you lack logic. And tact
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
lol, keep killin em! Who cares right? There's a reason it's been said a million times.. can you figure it out?? I'm guessing no. hahahahahahah

I like to see big fish put back = I like to yell at my kids lol!!! you're funny, but you lack logic. And tact
If it's within the regulations to allow a person to keep a fish- big or small, it becomes a personal choice on whether or not to put it back or keep it. This was not your choice in this instant, so why keep spouting off on what you would do? This person was within their right to harvest those fish and there's nothing that can be done about it now, soooo....... Let it go, and move on maybe?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM

I never once said he wasn't allowed. What's wrong with a discussion? Only ok if everyone agrees with you?