Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
X2 anything ive seen him write is all negitive
Come on guys, take it easy on old Walleyes. I know he does get right to the point when he has something on his mind, done it to me on occasion LOL, but he's one of the good guys on here.

Dirtyman, tough break, sounds like a warning and a little "talking to" would have been sufficient. At least you got got some fish that day.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Thought this was a good topic to share my story on. Last summer while floating a section of the Bow River west of Calgary, I was fishing with a hopper – dropper set up (nymph below dry fly). Hooked a nice fish only to loose the bottom nymph, which was very small. As we were floating by some amazing deep cut banks, I threw on a new nymph quickly and got my flies back out against the bank. Rounded the corner in the river where we noticed a fish & wildlife officer standing under the bridge. We pulled the drift boat in and had a really good chat with the fella. Then I said, “well I suppose you want to see our license and our hooks” and handed him my license and then the end of my fly line. He rubbed his finger on the bottom nymph, held it up in the sun, got out his glasses to take a closer look and then turned to me and said, “looks like you missed pinching this one”. Well I nearly crapped myself as inside I felt like I just murdered someone and got caught....I have always tried to follow all the rules though just like what happened in your situation, I threw a new hook on in the heat of the moment and forgot to pinch the barb. I am not afraid to admit that I still have this happen every once in awhile....I also speed sometimes. This officer looked in our drift boat and seen about 20 very old beer cans in a couple of big buckets that we happened to pick up off an island I landed a nice brown trout on. After releasing the fish, we noticed all the garbage and decided to clean it up rather than to just complain about it. Well I have to assume this officer cut me a little slack as a gratitude for our clean up job but either way, I was very appreciative of him letting me off the hook. I really don’t think him fining me $200 would prevent me from possibly making the same error in the future, though I would have understood if he did fine me as I was technically in the wrong and it is technically his job to enforce the laws.....just thought I would tell this story as not all F&W officers are jerks......we had a very pleasurable experience with this fella while he was out doing his job....enforcing the much required regulations.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Default thnaks for the heads up

Just getting back into fishing this spring and recently bought a whole bunch of lures and gear.I also have some old stuff passed onto me from family,but I did not know about the Barb stuff until this thread.I do not understand why they did not tell me at Wholesale sports when I was buying all this stuff.Anyways got out the plyers and magnifying glass and went to work.I am grateful that you posted this and I had not yet been fishing.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
Come on guys, take it easy on old Walleyes. I know he does get right to the point when he has something on his mind, done it to me on occasion LOL, but he's one of the good guys on here.

Dirtyman, tough break, sounds like a warning and a little "talking to" would have been sufficient. At least you got got some fish that day.

Ahhh thx delburne lololo,, you got to have thick skin if you are going to be brutally honest with people... But hey make no mistake about boys I know that I am my own worst enemy..

And walleyedeitz I don't think that any of us are saying that all CO's are bad I am sure that most are very reasonable and believe me you would never catch me doing their job its got to be a thankless occupation. But I think that in this case a little common sense and good judgement would of went further than the fine..
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default Savage

His post was only negative if you sided with the CO And on this thread I think YOU have been the most negitive savage
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
Rules are rules I guess but what really p**ses me off is that a fellow makes an honest mistake and gets nailed for having a stupid barb on a hook while others who need not be mentioned get to hunt and fish at will and any way they like. Maybe they should have a wattage limit imposed while they jacklight game or would that be interfering with their rights.
I wonder if we are jumping to conclusions here without all the facts. Do we know that the single $200 ticket was the MAXIMUM the officer could have tagged him with? If it isn't then the officer DID do him a favour.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Where do you fellows lke to do your fishing at Blood. I have always went to the west side. Fish in 6 to 8 feet of water. Some of the larger fish have had minnows in them. We have caught a few with minnows. Worms, corn and cheeze are the usual bait. Biggest caught this winter was 18" about 3 lbs
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM

I was wondering where do you guys like to fish at Blood Indian. I have always gone over to the West side. See lots of shacks on the east side in the bay. Have never tried it there. We fish in 6 to 8' of water using different bait and some on jiggs. Last time out was 2 weeks ago and caught our limit by noon.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

the $200 doesn't bug you...

that would probably bug me the most
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Great topic here guy's!! The one thing I find funny is that we are normally complaining about the fact that F&W does not to enough to put a damper on these things. Now that one of our forum members got a ticket even though it was an honest mistake, we complain that they gave out a ticket.

I know it was a mistake but I like the fact that a ticket was issued. Maybe that is a sign that they are going to start coming down more on people that were in the wrong. This time just sucks because it was a mistake. I have read quite a few articles lately that show punishments are getting much harsher.

I am sure we have all made this same mistake at one time or another, but how many years have we had now to remember to make our hooks barbless?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
You are 100% correct I did read it wrong and owe that gentlemen a public apology. I tend to get a lil jump on the subject of natives having fishing and hunting rights I dont agree with it , and try to distance myself them even being one myself. I apologize Hope this dont make me the bad guy.
You're not a bad guy. Your mistake was actually the funniest post in the lot. Made me laugh. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Great topic here guy's!! The one thing I find funny is that we are normally complaining about the fact that F&W does not to enough to put a damper on these things. Now that one of our forum members got a ticket even though it was an honest mistake, we complain that they gave out a ticket.

I know it was a mistake but I like the fact that a ticket was issued. Maybe that is a sign that they are going to start coming down more on people that were in the wrong. This time just sucks because it was a mistake. I have read quite a few articles lately that show punishments are getting much harsher.

I am sure we have all made this same mistake at one time or another, but how many years have we had now to remember to make our hooks barbless?
I agree with you goober. I think the majority of people who get caught with barbed hooks would say " I just changed the hook and forgot to pinch the barb". I for one do net get checked enough by C.O.'s and find when I do get checked they should be more thorough (sp?) when they do check. The last couple of guys I have run into seem to be students doing surveys. When I ask if they want to see licences and equipment they tell me they can not check people. Atleast there seems to be more on the way.

Deano
Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM

dirtyman I've been the victim of exactly the same brain fart that caused your problem. Luckily, for me, I discovered my error before it was too late and pinched down the barb.
Regarding the treatment you received from the officer, I thought I'd share an experience I had quite a few years ago. A friend and I were returning from the Peace River Country after a week long goose hunting trip. We had two full possession limits of Canadas with us- all nicely plucked, gutted and frozen in freezer bags WITH BOTH WINGS CUT OFF. We had cleaned them ourselves and had overlooked the requirement to leave one wing attached until the birds have been transported to the hunters' permanent residences. I think this was the result of another brain fart possibly brought on by having consumed one or two too many beers during the cleaning process..
We got checked by a wildlife officer who informed us that we had violated the regulations and that we were subject to being charged with an offence. He stated that his real concern was that we could not prove that some of the birds were were not whitefronts (speckle bellies) and therefore we could be over our possession limit. I pointed out to him that our birds had enough black leg skin stiil on them to identify them as something other than speckle bellies which have orange leg skin.
He must have been somewhat impressed by this because he gave us written warnings instead of charging us. I've always appreciated the common sense approach the officer took with us in dealing with the matter. I do think we were very lucky, however, and I wouldn't count on the next guy being so lenient.
Just thought you might be interested in hearing what happened to me.

Last edited by 270WIN; 03-25-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM

If I offended anyone from Alberta that was certainly not my intention and apologize if I have. In my neck of the woods I have personally seen people put in nets rather than fish with hooks. That is not the same rules in my book.

Another beef is some of the rule they put on law abiding sportsmen that are a bit silly. Here for instance you must have a square inch of skin on fish fillets to transport. If you can't tell a Jack from a walleye from a perch and don't know that each fish produces two fillets I wonder what place you have being a CO
( Not offending CO's here just making a point )

I have known a couple of people fined for having one fillet without skin. Really, how does that protect the species. It just seems like a government pencil pusher trying to look like he knows what he is doing. Game laws a crucial and must be followed and enforced no question. However, some of them are just darn stupid and need to be changed.

example: Saskatchewan has Sunday hunting now. Yeee Haaaaa

Last edited by savagewsm; 03-25-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Trust me guys. They are on patrol and have to show results for their efforts.
they will nail you for little infractions to fill their monthly Quotas.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Default it doesn't get better sometimes

2 days before i get 200 ticket i got laid offf..2 days after my post i got a
4115 ticket for no seatbelt,which i addmittrd to.....so loose my job and rack up 3115 in tickets...not a good start.....a am at the end of my wits; if i had any i am afraid to go fishing now....i am afraiad to go out.i wish i could say when it rains i pooorrs but it is f ing snowing

signed lower then low dirtyman

in snowing
Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 PM

Hey Dirtyman, they say things happen in three's, so you should be in the clear now!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm not perfect by any stretch, but I can proudly say that everytime I throw a hook on, I always drag my finger on it before it goes in the water. Only been checked on once with no hassels. Feels good to be sure that I'm always legal.
Now if the fish would just bite the lures.......
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCustom View Post
I'm not perfect by any stretch, but I can proudly say that everytime I throw a hook on, I always drag my finger on it before it goes in the water. Only been checked on once with no hassels. Feels good to be sure that I'm always legal.
Now if the fish would just bite the lures.......

I agree with JohnnyCustom. I use mostly artificial lures, we all know they come with crappy hooks, so Gamakatsu Barbless Treble comes in place of the old one. It's barbless, way stronger then any soft bronze treble or black nickel, and sharp beyond belief. There is also nothing wrong with pinching the barbed hooks, but black nickel ones tend to break at the tip, almost like glass.

BTW No barb regulation has been out for a while now, I don't think there should be any questions when issuing tickets. If you're going out on the water then go prepared. No one here can say they forgot to pinch the barb when we all know it has to be done, EVERY TIME you put on a new hook.

Good thing some of you got away with it, and I understand the "rush of the moment" while fishing, but we're all adults, and hopefully we're responsible ones at that.

Last edited by jeprli; 03-27-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Trust me guys. They are on patrol and have to show results for their efforts.
they will nail you for little infractions to fill their monthly Quotas.
What a load of crap!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 PM

buddy.i already said i was in the wrong....and i am taking responsibility for it... i am just saying it was an honest mistake....be prepared,that might take planing and when i got a few hours no notice to fish i go. i tie alot of my jigs i use (pinch before tie) don't use bait much and got some #6 hooks still in package..when the rule first changeed i paid attention more now it is "common sence" .... thats why i said costly brain fart....ever forget to put your seatbelt on??????....an other costly brain fart...i might be wrong but i think you might be the first "perfect person" on this site....keep up the good work, careful your fly is down ....oooooops never done that before either
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

I wish I was perfect, or maybe I don't. Like you said, common sense, does it happen to you to drink alcohol while driving??? Do you ever forget to wipe yourself??? These are all common sense, but for you it can happen... I hope not

And yes I always put my seat belt on before I turn on ignition It sucks, I know! And no my fly is never open in public, i don't use pants with zippers, buttons only, zippers can be hurtful(see I made a mistake once upon a time)

Cheer up "buddy", and use common sense!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM

DoucWhatIC

You better back up that statement. Been there got the t shirt.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM

i got drunk one night driving home from fishing whith barbrbs and poooped in my pants..to teach my self a lesson i didn't wipe for three days ( and i am harry)..could you imagine .. i was so concerned with not pooping my pannts next time i forgot to de-barb my hook the next time i went fishing...but i put my seatbelt on...not bad 2 for 3...

????? ever lost/missplaced your keys captan perfect...hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM

i made a mistake and told my story so others would not do the same...thats all...just a reminder..not all of us are as good as you, though we all try
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM

GMac, Fish and Wildlife Officers do NOT have a ticket quota, and neither do CO's that work for Parks. An officers job is to document every violation that is encountered in the field by issuing an enforcement action (prosecution, warning, time to produce......). I am not going to comment on the course of action taken by another officer, weather it was a CO from Parks or a Fish and Wildlife Officer for SRD. We try to asses the best action to take based on the circumstances and the enforcement plan for the district.

Nobody likes to get a ticket but it happens. Good for Dirtyman for taking it with a positive attitude, learning from the experience and sharing with others as a reminder to check their hooks before using them!

The fine is $200.00, it is a set specified penalty however a person could be sent to court in the public interest if he/she is a repeat offender, the Judge then sets the fine..

We get paid to enforce the regulations, but the number of tickets I write has no bearing on anything at the end of the month or year for that matter.

I wear the T-shirt every day
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qisley View Post
gmac, fish and wildlife officers do not have a ticket quota, and neither do co's that work for parks. An officers job is to document every violation that is encountered in the field by issuing an enforcement action (prosecution, warning, time to produce......). I am not going to comment on the course of action taken by another officer, weather it was a co from parks or a fish and wildlife officer for srd. We try to asses the best action to take based on the circumstances and the enforcement plan for the district.

Nobody likes to get a ticket but it happens. Good for dirtyman for taking it with a positive attitude, learning from the experience and sharing with others as a reminder to check their hooks before using them!

The fine is $200.00, it is a set specified penalty however a person could be sent to court in the public interest if he/she is a repeat offender, the judge then sets the fine..

We get paid to enforce the regulations, but the number of tickets i write has no bearing on anything at the end of the month or year for that matter.

I wear the t-shirt every day
yes sir...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM

$200 is BS, but what fine amount isn't really? I got a seat belt ticket in a dump-truck once, and the ticket was more then I made working the entire day. Because I forgot to put a seat belt on, once out of the hundred times I got in and out of the truck that day, I should loose my entire earnings of over 8 hours? Ridiculous.

Unfortunately its all a part of the show, and our mistakes are the 'Grease' that keeps the machine running, and if they didn't write BS tickets they couldn't keep in business. This week its you, next week its someone else. Police spending hours witting violations when there's gangs and drugs all over is evidence of that, gotta raise the money somehow.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

Dude you're taking this too serious.

Put yourself in Fish cops position, who knows how many stories he already heard from other people, probably so many that anything you, me or anyone else says sound like a cliche to him. So of course he gives out a ticket, just like a traffic cop. It's their duty.

I got fined in Saskatchewan for having no licence(i was fishing for carp)$120, they took my rod, but gave it back once i paid the fine, oh yeah and I get to keep the fish

I've also had my drivers lic. taken for demerits. Never got a ticket since then, not even a parking ticket.

And I do make mistakes, I'm not PERFECT, so don't call me mister perfect, unless you like it

Cheer up, I don't hate you or have anything against you, **** happens live with it!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
DoucWhatIC

You better back up that statement. Been there got the t shirt.
What does that mean? You were a fish cop and had a quota? Or you received a ticket and attributed it to a quota?

How about backing up your statement that fish cops have a quota of violations to write up? Talk to any game warden in this province. There is no quota.

A cute story: I watched a game warden write a ticket to a guy for exceeding the limit years ago. The guy was giving the warden a hard time about meeting his quota. The guy was being very difficult. After professionally dealing with this guys abuse about a qouta the game warden said "We don't have quotas anymore, we can write as many as we want!" Even the guy laughed a little. A potentially bad situation was diffused!