Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM

Default First Gun For My Son

My youngest son is 13yrs old. Getting tired of him always bugging me to shoot my guns. Time for his own.
He loves shooting my Marlin 795, and my old single shot .410. The .410 is a bit too long (have kept my eyes open for a youth model, lost out on one at the last gun auction), and I only have the one semi auto. I'm thinking of giving him the semi auto and getting myself a lever action, just for fun. But, the lever actions are really safe, I'm thinking a perfect choice for a first timer.
The other option would be to cut down the .410 to fit him, and then refit it when he grows out of it?
What have you guys done with your kids when they start getting into the shooting sports?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Bought my son a savage cub single shot 22 when he was 7. When he was 12 I bought him a left hand Tikka in a 243 win. I probably should have bought him a 7-08 when I bought the 243. When he turned 14 and got his first moose draw I bought him a left hand Tikka in a 300wm. He always shot very well and a full size Tikka fit him well at 12. Now I think Tikka makes the youth or compact models, just not in left hand.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 PM

A couple things to consider, 1st is physical size , if they struggle with the size of the gun it is a recipe for disaster. If their hand is small and it is hard to uncock a hammer,if the bird gets away .... think about that. A tang/ trigger guard safety might be a better choice for small hands. .

Next is choosing the right caliber/guage for a smaller person/youth. They will like and shoot a cal. that doesn't jar their bones a lot more than one that they just don't want to admit is killing them.

I am going thru these decisions now with grand kids.
243/7mm08/270/6.5 x 55 are all choices that are well suited to kids if you steer away from the heavy loads in the bigger calibers.

Last year my grandson who is quite small did well with a cut down to his size 6.5 x 55 mauser shooting 125 and 140 gr partitions . He is now moving to a 270 and 130 gr partitions , so his little sister can borrow his 6.5 x 55. {Tradex has lots of 6.5's cheap}

He has no problems with a Maveric 88 20 ga youth shotgun that has the adjustable stock and is not to bad a price.

If they are left handed the options shrink fast but they do exist.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Last year my grandson who is quite small did well with a cut down to his size 6.5 x 55 mauser shooting 125 and 140 gr partitions . He is now moving to a 270 and 130 gr partitions , so his little sister can borrow his 6.5 x 55. {Tradex has lots of 6.5's cheap}

Thanks for the link. There are a lot of choices there.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Banned

I've had the same problem, x2.
My boys are 14 and 16. I told them that this year they would each get a centerfire if they did really well in school...which they have.
The older considers himself a 'sniper' type so he is going to inherit my Mossberg 308 with Nikon scope.
The younger however is an old soul...like shooting a recurve bow over compound, likes old cars, etc.
We have our eye on a 30-30 Henry...it just about seems the perfect light rifle for someone just starting his hunting career.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Banned

It depends on what he can handle. Size doesn’t matter as much as that can altered to fit.

My sons is shooting a full size Weatherby Vangaurd 2 in 243. He shot the Tikka that I had in 30-06. He’s also been shooting 12 gauge since he was 10. I bought him an 870 and had gitrdun cut down a stock to fit. He’s now using the full size stock.

My son is now 5’3” and about 150lbs, 12 years old. He’s not a small kid but he’s not huge either. My take, if the firearms fits them, the cartridge is secondary, but still important. Is is the recoil that scares them or the noise? Hopefully it’s neither.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Depends on the type of shooting/hunting you plan to do I suppose but I always thought one of those .22 over .410 break action setups would be great for starting a kid out.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Depends on the type of shooting/hunting you plan to do I suppose but I always thought one of those .22 over .410 break action setups would be great for starting a kid out.
I bought one for my boy. Was junk to be honest. Traded it for a 20 ga SXP, A little big, but much better gun to learn on. Plus that .410 ammo gets steep fast. A nice little. 22 is always good too.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 PM

AR-7 aka Henry Survival Rifle. Simple, light, compact, and cheap for being a takedown .22. Can plink all day for cheap.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
My youngest son is 13yrs old. Getting tired of him always bugging me to shoot my guns. Time for his own.
He loves shooting my Marlin 795, and my old single shot .410. The .410 is a bit too long (have kept my eyes open for a youth model, lost out on one at the last gun auction), and I only have the one semi auto. I'm thinking of giving him the semi auto and getting myself a lever action, just for fun. But, the lever actions are really safe, I'm thinking a perfect choice for a first timer.
The other option would be to cut down the .410 to fit him, and then refit it when he grows out of it?
What have you guys done with your kids when they start getting into the shooting sports?
I have 4 sons and before they started shooting I picked up a single .22 a 410, 20 gauge and later a 243. At this time I pretty well stopped buying the kids toys, from them on for birthdays and xmas I would buy them good fishing gear, a bow, or a rifle. Worked well and some of the guns were handed down as they grew out of them and the younger boys into them. The boys are all grown now and have other firearms/bows but I still have the 4 guns and 2 of the bows mentioned and the grandson/granddaughter have started shooting a couple of them.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM

I am not keen on 410s for a young shooter. I would rather go with light loads in a larger gauge. More fun to hit targets.

I am for as much .22s as the youngster wants to shoot and dad can afford.

I think there are lots of good choices in center fire rifles that are suitable with the following caveat. Dad should limit larger gauges and center fire shooting that the youngster does. Some young shooters often want to shoot past the point where they are no longer comfortable.

Shooting too much too soon and being tired can lead to a flinch. Flinches are often subliminal and hard to cure.

Keep it fun and watch for signs that it is not fun.

I envy you guys that are starting new shooters
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM

^^^^^Good advice here, IMO. Caliber & gun selection lots to consider any age or shooter. Leave before they're tired, they'll whine a little but want to get back at it sooner, my experience.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 PM

Good thread. Just gave my 13 year old daughter her first rifle ruger m77 .22.

Like the bolt action as its a bit safer and teaches her to load and concentrate a bit more on each shot. Got her a couple extra 10 round mags. Of course i destroyed all of our 25 round butler creek deadly mags.

Like the .22 too because its very affordable. Kids love to shoot all day and it doesnt break the bank.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 AM

If he loves the Marlin 795 and is safe with it, give him that. Lots cheaper to shoot than any other option, and you've already got one. Cut down the stock if you want and add pieces back later. Personally, I prefer semis, pumps and bolt guns to lever actions. However, until he has a little exposure to each style, you'll never know what he likes. Quite likely he'll have his own favorites. Have you taken him to a gun shop to look at each type of firearm?

A 410 is great from small kids, but at 13, I suspect he can handle a 20 gauge with light loads without issues. In that case, the 410 wouldn't be my choice for him.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:13 AM

Browning makes a few different firearms for youth shooters (or for smaller adults) that might be of interest. One is the Silver Hunter Micro Midas as an option for a decent semi auto shotgun but there are other similar sized options in over/under as well as Pump. For Centrefire they make an X-Bolt Micro Stalker in various calibers. For Rimfire, they have a sweet little Lever action BL22 Micro Midas. As a matter of fact, I am thinking about getting one (or two) of these for my two daughters in a couple of years. Yeah, I'm a Browning fan!

One thing to consider as a good investment is high quality hearing protection that will not only save their hearing, but might also curtail any flinching habits that might arise from gunfire. When I started shooting I did not have any hearing protection at all. I actually did really well as a youngster with the .22 put developed a serious flinch when I started shooting shotguns and rifles. It was extremely hard to get rid of and I still have to be wary of it to this day.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
If he loves the Marlin 795 and is safe with it, give him that. Lots cheaper to shoot than any other option, and you've already got one. Cut down the stock if you want and add pieces back later. Personally, I prefer semis, pumps and bolt guns to lever actions. However, until he has a little exposure to each style, you'll never know what he likes. Quite likely he'll have his own favorites. Have you taken him to a gun shop to look at each type of firearm?

A 410 is great from small kids, but at 13, I suspect he can handle a 20 gauge with light loads without issues. In that case, the 410 wouldn't be my choice for him.
Josh is actually quite a gun nut. He learned types and models from COD of all places. Right now he (I confess, me too) are into COD WWII, huge interest in the guns in the game. At the Milarm auction, there is a STEN on the block (his current fav in the game), we will be there to check it and all the rest out.

Big thanks to Petew for his input. I think the suggestions he made will fit right in with the direction I will be going. Old school history, interest, and a rifle he can call his own and grow up with. Going to call about a couple Swedish m96's.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Banned

My kid started with a 22 and 410. When they got to their teens they saved up some money and I bought a 30-06 for them. Started out with managed recoil Remington shells for them. Now that they're grown men I gave each of the boys a husky 30-06 in trade for the one they bought themselves.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Find a nice Cooey single shot bolt action 22. We still got one kicking around and we love it. Great for safety reasons, accurate too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2018, 07:02 PM

With my kids, I had them start with air guns at a very young age...then moved-up to 22s. Even the little Cooey 39s were too big, and difficult to cock the trigger so I picked-up a Savage Rascal. Absolutely tiny, but they loved it...as did every small-framed shooter who ever tried it. A little puzzling, even for me. lol

My kids are all in their teens now, and my daughter won't let me sell the Rascal...that many good memories. They're all too big to shoot it now, but use my CZ, BRNO, Anschutz and Marlin 795.

I'm not a big game hunter, so I don't own any large-caliber centerfires, but, I do love varmint hunting so the kids have all tried my .223, and my youngest (13) has shot my new CZ527 in 17 Hornet. As much as they like those, they still prefer 22s.

I did have a Cooey 84 in .410, but that gun was light enough to have a bit of a sharp recoil...and it was a very stiff gun to operate. I ended-up picking-up a Remington 870 "youth" laminate in 20ga. (21" barrel, choke tubes, etc.) which is about 1/2 way between the standard 870...and the "Compact JR", which has a stubby little stock and an 18" barrel. The kids all love that gun, and I've shot it a fair bit myself. Personally, for the cost and effectiveness of 20ga. vs. .410, I think 20 is a much better choice.

The kids aren't into shooting quite as much as they once were, but if they go out these days...it's to shoot 22s, or shoot trap with either that 20ga, or my 12ga 870.