Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default Pigeon

Why are they re-opening for netting?
http://www.mywildalberta.com/documen...Feb%202009.pdf
Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM

I got my tagsfor the second year this year and I plan on trying to fill them. Maybe we need to try a boycott and not support the buying/applying of the tags. Giving the govmn't more $ after they finally allow (needed) a few fish to be taken! WT?!!!!

Last edited by lilsundance; 02-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 AM

Default Write a letter and complain .

There Is no place for Commercial fishing in this province . After Attending 2 meetings last Winter for Changes to Pigeon lake , # 1 was Stopping the allowance of Commercial fishing , Well I guess that was a crock of crap from there Mouth . We need to stand up to the Government , and Let them know from the people who are out on the water rather then the guy who reads numbers from a book . STAND UP AND FIGHT . If the Walleye Numbers are as bad as they say they are In Pigeon Lake there should be no way this is allowed . Its a complete joke . I plan writing a letter come Morning to Mr Knight , Stelmach and McGhan . Also maybe the Attention to the Media should be brought forward . I cannot stand being Deliberately Lied to my face . And this is what the Government has done at those meetings . This is more then a 1 man Fight .

Mel Knight
Legislature Office
#404 Legislature Building
10800-97 Avenue
Edmonton, AB
Canada T5K 2B6
Phone: (780) 415-4815
Fax: (780) 415-4818
Mel_Knight@gov.ab.ca

While your at it write a letter to the Deputy minister aswell .

Deputy Minister Eric McGhan
Eric McGhan_@gov.ab.ca

Ed Stelmach
Office of the Premier
Room 307, Legislature Building
10800 - 97th Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2B6

Ed_Stelmach@gov.ab.ca
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Getting the job done

I agree totally with BBJ ....If half the people on this board send an

email to mr. Mcknight expressing their displeasure at commercial netting

particularly on a body of water that has been as heavily monitored ,

and kept from the public to practise normal angling methods , as Pigeon has .

This business of allowing the rights of a few to override the rights of
society at large is pervassive at all levels of our government and our
justice system.

The idea that when it comes to our natural resources this Government
or any Gov't will do the right thing without monitoring from the public
is certainly naive .
I know we elect these guys thinking they will do the right thing but
it really is obvious ; that idea has outlived its usefullness .

When is this netting to occur , I would like to be present ....

Someone who knows anybody at the RED Deer Advocate should
get in touch with them...

W101 A.A.A. Alberta Angling Alliance.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM

There are more walleye poached by sport fishermen,than the hole quota of comm. fishing in Alberta for the hole year. Just ask any F&G officer.Last Oct. I saw 2 guys keep 6 10 lbs. plus walleye, which is legel.But in all the nets I have pulled out of that lake the biggest we caught was 6lbs, and maybe 12 walleye a year.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoUCWhatIC View Post
Pigeon Lake was historically commercial fished. The fishery was suspended several years ago. Not sure why. The target species was, and I'm sure is, whitefish. The incidental harvest of walleye and pike was managed by depth restrictions and mesh size of the nets. The incidental catch of those species is almost negligable. The tolerance limits placed on those species was very low. Once the tolerance was reached the fishery was closed (whether or not the whitefish quota was reached.)

I don't know about the status of Whitefish in Pigeon Lake but annual harvest from other lakes has shown to be benefitial to the whitefish population as a whole: faster growth rates, larger average size.

When someone says nets everyone gets up in arms! Perhaps we should educate ourselves before we jump to conclusions.
If commercial fishing is so beneficial to fishing explain how awesome the angling is for Whitefish in South Buck Lake or how awesome it was in Wabumum Lake before the spill for just a few examples. Commercial fishing in lakes with little to no angling pressure may benefit the population by “thinning it out” but there is already excessive pressure on all of the lakes around Edmonton just from angling never mind commercial netting. Pigeon cannot sustain both a domestic commercial fishery and the current angling pressure. The studies prove it. Something has to give.

The latest biological studies I've read indicate that Pigeon cannot ustain any incidental catch of Northern Pike. For Walleye no problem. Note that SRD is going to change the regulations for Pike this year in Pigeon to 1 over 100cm to help re-establish a population base. As the studies indicate, one Pike caught in a commercial net is one to many and I can assure you that there will be an incidental catch of Pike as I’ve been around for several commercial pulls and there always is. Even if they set the incidental Pike catch rate at a very “negligible” amount like 100kg that would equate to 40 - 5lbs pike. I could fish Pigeon for 20 more years and not catch 40 pike. The pike fishery is in bad shape and it ain’t because of the Walleye!

I also agree with the other fellow that aboriginal netting also needs to stop but if domestic commercial fishing is still allowed in Alberta, anywhere, there is no way in heck the government would even dare to consider to ban or limit the aboriginal netting before commercial fishing is stopped. That would be a political / human rights death guaranteed.

So what’s it going to be….

Allow commercial fishing to satisfy a handful of local commercial fishermen and a few hundred folks whom purchase the Whitefish limiting the size and numbers of Whitefish in the Lake?

Or

Thousands of angler’s spending countless dollars on trucks, sleds, boats, rods, reels, augers, hooks, bait, hotel rooms, gas, food, licenses, etc. to have the opportunity to fish for trophy Whitefish in a lake that’s full of them right now?

I know where my vote is!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM

IT IS HARD TO BELEAVE THAT COMMERCIAL NETTING IS AGAIN BEING ALLOWED ON PIGON LAKE, at a time when walleye and pike populations are in trouble, Commercial netting is not the solution, netting should not be allowed.
There is also the preception that any problems with the sports fishery is solely attributed to the sportsmen and no one else. It is very disturbing that the sports fishing regulations have been adjusted and set annually to minimize the harvest and mortality of the sports fishery, while commercial netters are then permitted to set their nets to harvest and sell the sports fish that our goverment have been regulating to protect.
Commercial netters do not throw back walleye and pike, with walleye prices 4 times the value of white fish if given a chance that is what they will target.
The economic value of sports fishing v/s commercial fishing is a 70:1 ratio. This clearly indicates where the priority and the importance of proper management of the fishing resources should be . Tourisum and local businesses would also benefit if these lakes become known as better class fisheries.
write or e-mail government represeitives, contact the media, our lakes in southern Alberta are also netted big time, if government gets lots of negitive responces against commercial netting maybe some changes will be made.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Petition

A petition should be started to ban commercial fishing in Alberta. Why should certain individuals be allowed to take 10x more fish than others? Either everyone should be allowed to net or noone (with the exception of natives) should be allowed to fish.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Petition

A petition should be started to ban commercial fishing in Alberta. Or atleast at large lakes close to major cities like pigeon, wabamun and south buck. Why should certain individuals be allowed to take 10x more fish than others? Either everyone should be allowed to net or noone (with the exception of natives) should be allowed to fish.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Ha anyone brought this up with their local AFGA club? Specially those clubs in the Pigeon Lake area?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Default My Letter .

I sent this Letter to Mr Knight , Stelmach , and The Deputy Minister .

To Mr Mel Knight. Febuary,10,2010

Firstly I’d like to thank you for the accessibility to reach you. Also would like to say how we are so very lucky in the Province of Alberta, to have such great recourses for Outdoorsmen and women and Kids that this Province has to offer. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I’m a very avid Outdoorsmen, Particularly my time is Spent Fishing. I spend 200 plus day out on the water a year. I also Guide fishing, in this Province. So I see allot of good and bad things.

Mr Knight, the Reason I contact you is, my displeasure of the possibility of Commercial netting at Pigeon Lake. Pigeon lake has been closed to mainly Catch and release fishing for Walleye (Except for holders of Walleye draw system ) . The limits one can go home with , for Perch , Whitefish , And Northern Pike , have been dropped amensly . I don’t really care about that, I am mainly a Catch and release fishermen .But once in Awhile like to take a few home for the family.

As you may know that this province has huge Lake to fishermen ratio. I cannot find an exact number, but I believe it to be huge. Fishing is one of the fastest growing sports. It’s something a person can do no matter fitness level, age, gender, and so on. It really Upsets me, knowing that after Last year when SRD Held meetings on Pigeon lake. I was there and attended both meetings, As Pigeon lake is one of my favourite bodies of water to fish. Lots of Good Information was talked about in these meetings. One of the Top things that were talked about was Commercial Netting. I might not be a Biologist, but I can tell you with all the Time I spend on that lake, the fishery cannot Handle Commercial netting.

Wouldn’t it defeat all purposes of, having a tagging system, changing the Regulations to the lake, be enough proof that the Fishery is in trouble. I can tell you In July and August of 2009 the Shore lines were littered with Dead Whitefish, from summer kill. As the Oxygen and so on .I think it would a Smart Idea for Our Elected Officials to step back and look at the big picture here. If we want this Resource to last for many generations, so our Children’s Children can have the opportunity we have, the commercial fishing not just on Pigeon Lake, but In the Province of Alberta needs to be stopped.

You can put all the numbers down in front of me, but that doesn’t prove the facts of being out on the water and seeing whets going on. My Knight I Invite you to come fishing with me or any Other Guide or your typical fishermen .I will Show you the problems, rather than having all the facts in the world and numbers crammed down your Throat. Numbers are only good to a point.

I thank you for your Time and Opportunity to express my Displeasure with the Netting of Pigeon Lake. Lets Try to save our fishery .

Yours Sincerely

BBJ.

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 02-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Ha anyone brought this up with their local AFGA club? Specially those clubs in the Pigeon Lake area?
Im gonna Get in Contact With Solocam 3 who is the President of Fort Sask Fish and game club here in town , to gain contacts from Wetaskiwin Fish and game and Throsby Fish and game .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 02-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
jrs

Well, you may want to consider most of the lakes commercial fished in Alberta are nothing like Pigeon in regards to fishing pressure. Whitefish are typically the target and anglers simply don't spend much time targeting them in many other lakes, especially the southern reservoirs. If you want to complain about Pigeon being poorly managed good on you, but trying to apply your ideas based on that lake to the rest of the province seems pretty silly.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM

jrs,I fish the southern reservoirs ,and have for the last 35 years,white fish are the choice of a big number of fishermen south of Calgary.
Keho res. is netted every year,have you witnessed the catch that the netters take from kehoe on 1 pull it is sickning the tubs of big walleye up to 13+ lbs ,the white fish in this res. {kehoe} are in trouble, small in size, but they are allowed to net every year, the netters reach there tolerance in walleye the 1st day each year. Yet sportfishermen are only allowed to keep 1 walleye a day from Jan to end of March, thru the ice. I have witnessed the damage done on Kehoe, St. Marys Res. Has been commercial netted 2 times in the last year, White fish are in bad shape in this Res. as well, When Terry Clayton , Fisheries Biologist Lethbridge, was asked why netters where allowed to net St. Marys 2 times in 1 year, His response was because the netters wanted to.Milk River Ridge is going to be netted on Feb.16-17, 2010, was last netted last feb.2009, Terry Clayton said last year feb. 2009 the white fish catch was so small that it was was a waste of time for the netters to even net Ridge, so why does Terry Clayton allow the netters back on Ridge this year, not very sound fish management. I again was on site to see for myself. I do have stats on commercial netting in the south so i am not just ranting.And again we do have a large mumber of fishermen who target white fish,
White fish is not solely a fish of choice for anglers in central Alberta we do spend a lot man hours fishing white fish in the South.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
jrs

mclean, i fish the same reservoirs you mention and we still find tons of whitefish. If anything i'd say they're getting more abundant and smaller over the past couple due to fairly good water levels. I know there are guys that target whites down there but nothing like what's occurring in central Alberta where there's tent cities targeting them. Heck, you can still go buy an over the counter permit and fill your freezer with whitefish out of the canals every fall down there. There's more whitefish lost through the irrigation systems then the commercial guys take.

If the whitefish were small in a particular lake last year it may mean there's a strong age class the commercial guys want to target. It's not like the area managers are dummies down there, decisions are made with what information is available to them while trying to maximize harvest of the target species. I'd still like to see the commercial guys put on the canals to salvage the tens of thousands of eating size fish but that's the way it goes. Those lakes and the pressure are not comparable to the lakes in central Alberta. I've yet to see groups of 20-30 permanent shacks on any southern reservoir.

Last edited by jrs; 02-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

From what l read they want to thin a few species out to help balance the food chain , my question then would be, let us the angler keep a few more of such species for the pan.
If netting is allowed , is that not legalized poaching , we cant do it , why should that group be allowed to do it.
When the net is pulled up , we should all be there blocking the road with signs demanding a stop to this bull manure.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Default commercial fishing

Just look on the label of cat and dog food and you'll see where some of that commercially fished stuff ends up..........as pet food. I'm disgusted. seriously guys if you want to save a fish read the pet food label before you buy.

the chef
Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 PM

jrs, you say if there is a small size class of white fish in Kehoe last year , this year the commercial netters still netted small white fish,but raped the res. of walleye at 4 times the price of White fish we know what the netters are targeting. St.Marys Res last 2 years the Res. was netted both years small white fish, 3 years prior the white fish harvest was small, yet the netters seem to catch the tolerance limits and alot more on walleye. Last year,2009 when Ridge Res. was netted Terry Clayton said that with the small size of white fish it was not whorth the netters time to net , also Terry Clayton said the size class of white fish has not changed in 4 years when last netted Oct.4-5,2004.that year the commercial netters exceeded the walleye tolerance by 275%on 1 pull, take a geass as to what fish the netters where after, again i was on site and saw what happened.
And yes there are a lot of White fish trapped in the irrigation canals ,but don,t blame the sportfishermen for that, As for filling the deep freeze with a salvage permit, i beleave each person is allowed 1 , 3 day permit ,allowing 15whitefish per day total 15 whitefish, does not look like a deep freezer full to me unless you are a hutterite and come out in truck loads.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Default R u crazy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I as well sent my letter of grievance . But nothing would be better than

a mass protest on the day of netting ... Maybe invite PETA , they always

draw press and radio ... Netting any game fish in this province is absolutely

absurd ... Especially a forage fish like whitefish ...

A few years ago I was at Keho when the local hutterites netted for

whitefish , the so called incidental kill of pike and walleyes was pretty

heavy . I think a AO gathering on that day at the netting would be a good

idea .. If we could get some press coverage even better , the general

disregard for the resource here is so obvious . This is an insult to everyone

who buys an angling licence , belongs to a G&F club , takes an active interest in our natural resources. It flys in the face of what this govrnment

legislates and tells you is good policy .

W101 A.A.A. Alberta Angling Alliance..
My sweet lord buddy, I HOPE part this is an overreaction with a retraction to follow. INVITING PETA!!!I am curious how an avid outdoorsman would even consider using these fanatics(who protest and damage without real word science or common sense behind them!)I understand being passionate about protecting the fishery in Alberta, but the PETA nutcases are the LAST group we want in our province.Our recreational fishing group is relatively small, and would be a good target for them.Take a look at the website www.peta killsanimals.com for just a small look into their "ways of helping animals"

Sorry for the rant this early, but this sort of suggestion should not be allowed or tolerated on this website.
As for the netting, I am certain it's like any other thing, some people doing it are good and carry out the netting legally for feeding their families.Others have a lack of regard for our wildlife in general, and see it all as a way to profit financially. Target the profit seekers.
People are quick to blame netting(and natives it seems) for all our fishing troubles,but how many actually have watched or taken part in it I wonder. There is a good post on www.iceshanty.com from a guy who has seen netting by honest people firsthand.Its a good read.(ironically, its in a post regarding someones ignorant comment about damaging others property.)
I know people are going to jump on this with I saw this, and I know this or that happened) But so be it, as I say, target the greedy ones who net only for profit.Not the sustenance providers.
in the end.
Have a good day!
Ken
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
There are more walleye poached by sport fishermen,than the hole quota of comm. fishing in Alberta for the hole year. Just ask any F&G officer.Last Oct. I saw 2 guys keep 6 10 lbs. plus walleye, which is legel.But in all the nets I have pulled out of that lake the biggest we caught was 6lbs, and maybe 12 walleye a year.
That's hilarious....F&G are ****ed. They would love to believe that sport anglers are poaching hundreds of thousands of pounds of fish per year. I can't believe that there is that kind of poaching going on out there. Most F&G officers are to lazy in my opinion to deal with busting those kind of numbers.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Very well said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I sent this Letter to Mr Knight , Stelmach , and The Deputy Minister .

To Mr Mel Knight. Febuary,10,2010

Firstly I’d like to thank you for the accessibility to reach you. Also would like to say how we are so very lucky in the Province of Alberta, to have such great recourses for Outdoorsmen and women and Kids that this Province has to offer. Let me tell you a little bit about me. I’m a very avid Outdoorsmen, Particularly my time is Spent Fishing. I spend 200 plus day out on the water a year. I also Guide fishing, in this Province. So I see allot of good and bad things.

Mr Knight, the Reason I contact you is, my displeasure of the possibility of Commercial netting at Pigeon Lake. Pigeon lake has been closed to mainly Catch and release fishing for Walleye (Except for holders of Walleye draw system ) . The limits one can go home with , for Perch , Whitefish , And Northern Pike , have been dropped amensly . I don’t really care about that, I am mainly a Catch and release fishermen .But once in Awhile like to take a few home for the family.

As you may know that this province has huge Lake to fishermen ratio. I cannot find an exact number, but I believe it to be huge. Fishing is one of the fastest growing sports. It’s something a person can do no matter fitness level, age, gender, and so on. It really Upsets me, knowing that after Last year when SRD Held meetings on Pigeon lake. I was there and attended both meetings, As Pigeon lake is one of my favourite bodies of water to fish. Lots of Good Information was talked about in these meetings. One of the Top things that were talked about was Commercial Netting. I might not be a Biologist, but I can tell you with all the Time I spend on that lake, the fishery cannot Handle Commercial netting.

Wouldn’t it defeat all purposes of, having a tagging system, changing the Regulations to the lake, be enough proof that the Fishery is in trouble. I can tell you In July and August of 2009 the Shore lines were littered with Dead Whitefish, from summer kill. As the Oxygen and so on .I think it would a Smart Idea for Our Elected Officials to step back and look at the big picture here. If we want this Resource to last for many generations, so our Children’s Children can have the opportunity we have, the commercial fishing not just on Pigeon Lake, but In the Province of Alberta needs to be stopped.

You can put all the numbers down in front of me, but that doesn’t prove the facts of being out on the water and seeing whets going on. My Knight I Invite you to come fishing with me or any Other Guide or your typical fishermen .I will Show you the problems, rather than having all the facts in the world and numbers crammed down your Throat. Numbers are only good to a point.

I thank you for your Time and Opportunity to express my Displeasure with the Netting of Pigeon Lake. Lets Try to save our fishery .

Yours Sincerely

BBJ.

Thanks Buddy, > copy > edit > and sent

I knew someone would have it in them !!

Thanks again.

Not being lazy, but just discussed at this crap, and couldn't put it in words that would have any impact at all. ( other then a scrap )
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Take a Stand

I believe ( there is really no way of checking without doing a Poll )

maybe later , but most sport anglers in alberta have a 0-zero

tolerance for netting of any kind, by anyone , in any body of water ,

in any season , for any specii . We all know we have to tolerate

at the moment a certain amount of sustainable netting because

of the archaic stupidity of Canadian Government .

Anyone who does a lot of Sport Angling knows that the fish

populations in most accessible bodies of water cannot and should not

be subject to activity like commercial netting.

In regards to PETA , they have a mandate to monitor all forums

like this , on a local basis . So I am sure they are aware of the

commercial netting activities .. I often wonder if the pictures on here

of dead bleeding animals may at some time end up on one of their Anti posters ..

Though unpopular you may have to take a stand at some time

I plan to make mine close to the water ,

As always , glad to help ! W101
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Im gonna Get in Contact With Solocam 3 who is the President of Fort Sask Fish and game club here in town , to gain contacts from Wetaskiwin Fish and game and Throsby Fish and game .
There is no longer a Fish and Game Club in Wetaskiwin. The Millet club covers the Wetaskiwin area.

Here is a list of the clubs that use and take part in things with Pigeon Lake. The first 4 clubs are all actively involved with Pigeon Lake.

Millet Fish and Game Association
Thorsby & District Fish and Game Association
Breton & District Fish and Game Association
Leduc Fish and Game Association
Ponoka Fish and Game Association
Rimbey Fish and Game Association
Camrose & District Fish and Game Association

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Thanks Buddy, > copy > edit > and sent

I knew someone would have it in them !!

Thanks again.

Not being lazy, but just discussed at this crap, and couldn't put it in words that would have any impact at all. ( other then a scrap )
2x copy> edit> sent.. thanks BBJ
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitloose View Post
2x copy> edit> sent.. thanks BBJ
Yep . Hopefully you read that letter before you send it . Also after talking to my mother ( who is a Government worker ) Last night she said sure it would be good for 50 or 100 people to Send Emails , but If 50 or a 100 people Send a written letter they are required to respond . So WRITE A LETTER .
Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yep . Hopefully you read that letter before you send it . Also after talking to my mother ( who is a Government worker ) Last night she said sure it would be good for 50 or 100 people to Send Emails , but If 50 or a 100 people Send a written letter they are required to respond . So WRITE A LETTER .
VERY good point, that's why I included " edit"...........

NEVER PLAGERIZE people.......

Most of the oilfield trash "don't no nuttin, haven't enough education for anything else, ect" and that's why we are on here, making 1k a day while we do it. Must be an easy job eh ? CALL ME !

We're on here to get to get info on hunting and fishing for food, just to exist.

LMAO, couldn't resist.........

Thanks again BBJ

Last edited by Kodiak; 02-11-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: SPELL
Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM

but If 50 or a 100 people Send a written letter they are required to respond . So WRITE A LETTER .

..Didnt know that.. TU..
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

You need to stop and think about what your saying. You want to bring PETA into action in order to protect a fishery for the sake of improving recreational angling? Those guys are fanatically anti-angling. An onsite protest would do nothing more than target some poor guy whose out there harvesting within a set quota for whitefish. Chances are pretty good that a mesh size and depth restriction will be in place to reduce incidental bycatch. Commercial fishing recieves it's allocation of the fishery after recreational harvest is accounted for. If you want a cause to yell and scream about why not begin promoting catch and release angling regardless of available quotas? Or how about educating people to release fish that are representative of upper size classes. A huge portion of our provinces angling future is in the hands of us anglers so lets stop pointing the finger at commercial and domestic netting and start accepting our own role in sustainable fishing.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Screw the whitefish, they should target the walleyes....they could use a little thinning out in my opinion....
I was gonna post my response, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else shared my thoughts, and lo and behold, I found this.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Default Some numbers about comm fishing pigeon

I see by some of the threads above that there are a lot of people quite passionate about the commercial fishing issue on pigeon. However for the most part all I see is anecdotal (sp?) evidence and no real numbers around what the commercial fishery is about. Like I tell people that come into my office ranting and raving about some issue without any real data.....your just another person in my office waving your arms and squawking like a magpie. So on that note I will try to shed some light on the numbers wrt pigeon.

Before 2002 we were allowed to use 4 inch mess on pigeon lake. The target species is whitefish (I think 100,000 kg back then). Back before the walleye population expolsion in the nineties, we happily netted pigeon every year since the 50's and everyone was happy. (now my turn for anecdotal evidence) If any of you can recall the rec. fishing for all species was qiute good....whitefish o plenty, lots of pike, lots of perch and enough walleye to keep a guy going out every evening. Then in 2002 the walleye quota was exceed by about 250% and the comm fishing was suspeneded until further notice.

For the past several years, the SRD has been working with the comm fishers of alberta to try and figure out what to do on pigeon. Part of the decision making process invovles test netting. That was carried out earlier this year and the results helped get us to where we are today. The test fishery tried all different sizes of mess and all different locations on the lake to try and figure out what to do. The end result was that we have to increase our mesh size to 5 1/2 inches and we have to be in water at least 23' deep and we can't be any further west than the provincial point /mission line, etc. Basically we can fish is the deep main bassin of the lake so as to only target whitefish.

Some numbers from the test fishery:
with 4 " mess - 100+ walleye per net
with 5.5" mess 4 to 5 walleye per net.....what we have to use this year.

For the fishery this month, there will be 32 fisherman and 137 nets set. At an average of 5 walleye per net = 685 walleye.

Just for comparisions sake lets look at the tag system for pigeon for 2008 and 2009.
1035 Class A
1411 Class B
161 Class C
That equals 6786 fish

631 Class B
742 Class C (highly undersubscribed)
That equals 4119 fish

2 year total = 10905 fish....slightly higher than the anticipated walleye catch for the comm fisherman this year.

This years comm fishing quotas:
walleye quota = 750 kg....at an average of 2.5 lbs per fish that is about 660 fish.
whitefish quota = 50,000 kg...at an average of 3 lbs per fish = 36,666 fish

Pike quota = 1300 kg at an average of 4 lbs = 715 fish

If any quota is exceeded, the comm regulations suspends the fishery for an indefinate period of time until a verdict can be reached about the health of the fish population.

So as you can see from the numbers that we don't want to catch walleye or pike just whitefish....or we'll be back where we were in 2002...something we don't want.

Just my 2 cents....
Sturgeonhound