Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Chubb,
This program would be like the Montreal Olympics. It could no more run a deficit than a man could have a baby. Oh wait bad example. It would be like the gun registry and be self supporting and never cost taxpayers a dime.

The Hunter ed course is done through AHEIA. It is a non profit org that has administered the program for years. I'm not sure if the prov gov't pays or not. AHEIA has several other programs on the go. They have received tons of donations in cash and real estate. The programs like I teach are manned by volunteers. It would be well worth reading up on them.

As far as costs for the courses. I charge what it costs for course books and donate my time. I would guess the same would apply to a fishing course.The only time I received pay was years ago in B.C> when the course was part of the night school adult courses. The school had to pay us because of the teachers union thing.

As I said I'm not beating the drum for the idea, just trying to encourage some discussion.

The language issue is a separate deal. If you are here you should have a working knowledge of the language IMO.

I've had students who struggled with English, but they struggled so I went out of my way to accommodate them with more time on the test or extra time after class to explain something. I also did the same with those who spoke English but had reading challenges.

I think a mandatory fishing course has some merit.

There is obviously opposition to it by some who will be personally affected, but I'm trying to see the big picture.

The hunt course does much more than cover regs. I would expect the fishing course to do the same.

OF course not everyone who takes the course is transformed into a polite expert, law abiding fisherman any more than a driving course grad is now an excellent driver. BUT it could be a positive step to help reduce some fishing infractions and encounters.

We see posts here every day about some maroon who ruined the experience because of rude behavior, or someone with a fish or two over the limit or barbed hooks. A course may reduce these incidents. It won't do away with them and it won't stop the poacher who is in it for the money but it may educate someone enough that they RAP.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
What are you going to do with all that popcorn?

He's probably going to eat it.. But take that popcorn outside as the smell of that popcorn will make me puke
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Chubb,
This program would be like the Montreal Olympics. It could no more run a deficit than a man could have a baby. Oh wait bad example. It would be like the gun registry and be self supporting and never cost taxpayers a dime.

The Hunter ed course is done through AHEIA. It is a non profit org that has administered the program for years. I'm not sure if the prov gov't pays or not. AHEIA has several other programs on the go. They have received tons of donations in cash and real estate. The programs like I teach are manned by volunteers. It would be well worth reading up on them.

As far as costs for the courses. I charge what it costs for course books and donate my time. I would guess the same would apply to a fishing course.The only time I received pay was years ago in B.C> when the course was part of the night school adult courses. The school had to pay us because of the teachers union thing.

As I said I'm not beating the drum for the idea, just trying to encourage some discussion.

The language issue is a separate deal. If you are here you should have a working knowledge of the language IMO.

I've had students who struggled with English, but they struggled so I went out of my way to accommodate them with more time on the test or extra time after class to explain something. I also did the same with those who spoke English but had reading challenges.

I think a mandatory fishing course has some merit.

There is obviously opposition to it by some who will be personally affected, but I'm trying to see the big picture.

The hunt course does much more than cover regs. I would expect the fishing course to do the same.

OF course not everyone who takes the course is transformed into a polite expert, law abiding fisherman any more than a driving course grad is now an excellent driver. BUT it could be a positive step to help reduce some fishing infractions and encounters.

We see posts here every day about some maroon who ruined the experience because of rude behavior, or someone with a fish or two over the limit or barbed hooks. A course may reduce these incidents. It won't do away with them and it won't stop the poacher who is in it for the money but it may educate someone enough that they RAP.

I believe your thoughts have alot of merit.....i would love to see a program that shows people the proper way to use RAP. I see alot of threads and posts where RAP is being wasted and its sad.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Banned

You know they have those things where people break into song at a mall,, flash mob,,, well, it's a bit far fetched but what if there were flash mob fishin education spiels at high pressure lakes and such,,, a get to know your CO/FW, free hot dogs and some info on the particular lake and fish handling technique,,, the peace officer volunteer thing sounds good but not to diss a frequent forum member, a badge can really go to someones head. I think it should be the 65's and up.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You know they have those things where people break into song at a mall,, flash mob,,, well, it's a bit far fetched but what if there were flash mob fishin education spiels at high pressure lakes and such,,, a get to know your CO/FW, free hot dogs and some info on the particular lake and fish handling technique,,, the peace officer volunteer thing sounds good but not to diss a frequent forum member, a badge can really go to someones head. I think it should be the 65's and up.
Sounds Glee-ish to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Sounds Glee-ish to me.
They aint singin, they're info'ing
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
What are you going to do with all that popcorn?
chum the waters around me while i fish the glenmore with minnows and multiple rods..........
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
chum the waters around me while i fish the glenmore with minnows and multiple rods..........
I know who you are!!!!

Would you volunteer as a fishing etiquette officer?

I couldn't,,, I had a family fishing outing go sideways and had to walk a long long ways away to steam-off, almost had to bring my Dad on the walk,,, glad there were kids around to keep things calm.

Throat ripping, distance throwing releasers, grrrrrrrrrr
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

I wouldnt say that I have the Best etiquette either. Just the other day I was fishing and there were other guys fishing about 10 feet from the side of us. they were just using bobbers and letting them sit I was chucking spoons in a fan pattern but never casted more towards them than straight out infront of me it was working out well. we never bothered eachother. then I was about to cast and he whips his bobber out across to the other side so i couldnt cast 5 feet to my right let alone straight out. we had a good working system for quite a while. so i decided to cast straight out anyways. A good 60 feet with a heave spoon and wind assisted and the wind was blowing hard so it carrys the extra line off to the right. I made sure to give it lots of air to to go as far right as possible. Let the line touch the water. Tip down and reeled in. swept up all 3 of theyre bobbers and moved them in nice and close to shore........ "Oops. im sorry. crazy wind......." all 3 had to recast and buddy made sure to keep his bobber straight out infront of him.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Banned

I would however recommend shaun "the best" guide to teach a fishing etiquette lesson though............
Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
I would however recommend shaun "the best" guide to teach a fishing etiquette lesson though............
Wouldn't that just be like UFC with fishing rods?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Privatising enforcement, would solve lots of poaching issues. Film them poaching, go see a judge, get a court date and process. Collect 50% of fine for your trouble. Guy could start a whole new industry, books on how to get started, instruction videos, contests !!!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 PM

Why do we need a course?

Any time someone posts a video or a picture of someone with a fish there is at least one troll who thinks he spots at least one break of the rules thus teaching everyone else.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM

once again AHEIA DOES OFFER A COURSE it just isn't mandatory, my thoughts are anyone who is caught doing any fishing poaching offense MUST take this course only put on weekdays 9-5 so as to make it inconvenient (you break the law you are inconvenienced) at a cost of a couple hundred dollars. Failure to show up results in an auto $1500 fine (amount to be determined but significant) 2nd offense is a $1500 cost for the course or a much larger fine. Done. IF there is anyone poaching I want to make it very expensive for them, 1 warning where they can get of relatively easy and not to bad but nail them to the wall the second time and make sure they know!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
once again AHEIA DOES OFFER A COURSE it just isn't mandatory, my thoughts are anyone who is caught doing any fishing poaching offense MUST take this course only put on weekdays 9-5 so as to make it inconvenient (you break the law you are inconvenienced) at a cost of a couple hundred dollars. Failure to show up results in an auto $1500 fine (amount to be determined but significant) 2nd offense is a $1500 cost for the course or a much larger fine. Done. IF there is anyone poaching I want to make it very expensive for them, 1 warning where they can get of relatively easy and not to bad but nail them to the wall the second time and make sure they know!
^^^^^
X2 great idea....it needs to be a painful (in the pocket book) mistake...

LC
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Well it would be nice if hook companies would just get rid of barbs. Although thats probably not do able for the "bait fishers" even though our entire province is barbless.

Some people complain about the fees and crap, and regs, these are people who dont fish prime quality waters. Look me in the eyes and tell me that alberta has better waters then BC or montana for that reason (yes montana is in the U.S. , so its a whole different ball game FLAME ME.) I believe fines for poaching, bait fishing in waters not aloud and etc, are much too low. A 150 dollar fine for keeping 4 fish over the limit isnt going to stop anyone from doing it, all it is going to do is make them plan a sneakier attempt at keeping the fish or fish more deserted waters.

The other thing i would like to see happen is when caught for poaching bait and etc at the water, i would like to see the equipment being taken away. Sets them back right there.

Poachers are never going to quit, but i am never going to quit reporting them. I know that the People in BC have no problem paying classified waters fees ( some do but dont understand that it makes the fishing what it is ) The bow is always going to be an exception, the river is much more productive then most other water bodies in canada.

I dont ever see many rainbow trout around the 10lb mark coming from alberta as i do from manitoba parklans and kamloops lakes.

Look at the steelhead waters around the skeena, its a dream to fish there and catch the silver ghost, its classified and catch and release. See how it works?

Put and take lakes are fine by me, but when i see people poaching at muir (which is not a put and take lake) i can argue that point right down to the bone, it boils my blood. Just like people poaching bull trout, or confusing brook trout for bulls (it happens a lot).

What i am getting down to, is yes a course would be beneficial. I would support it all the way, I'm 16 (yes i work) and i just had to start paying my license. 26 dollars is not a lot for a year. I'd be happy to pay 35-50 dollars a year to see more enforcement, a course or even more quality fisheries. For gods sakes we pay nothing compared to BC for a year of freshwater and that does not include classified waters, or your sal****er license.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
What i am getting down to, is yes a course would be beneficial. I would support it all the way, I'm 16 (yes i work) and i just had to start paying my license. 26 dollars is not a lot for a year. I'd be happy to pay 35-50 dollars a year to see more enforcement, a course or even more quality fisheries. For gods sakes we pay nothing compared to BC for a year of freshwater and that does not include classified waters, or your sal****er license.
x2 - lol @ sal****er....
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
i'm not red but,

there are indo-canadian clubs and many bilinguals of the new canadians language who have been here for awhile.

my question is; would you volunteer your time to teach a course? it doesn't really need to cost,, maybe a $20 initial fee or whatever.
I'm not Red, but I would. Teach such a course that is. Alas I might need some training myself, first.