Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Changing the draw priorities to a weighted system
Instill the weighted draw priority point system 98 36.57%
Keep the current draw prioirty system as is 170 63.43%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 AM

Default Important Poll: Hunting Draws in Alberta

As we all know, in Alberta, our draw priority system allows the tags to go to the folks with the maximum priority points. This is not a favorable system for folks who are just starting to get in to the draws for the first time and it actually discourages them. The correct approach in my opinion is the "weighted" system which allows the folks with even one priority point to draw a coveted tag. This system is used in almost all the States in the lower 48 (Idaho and a couple other are exceptions) with great success. Montana probably has the best system as each year you don't draw, your points get squared going forward.

I am therefore setting up a poll to see what folks think about proposing this as a group to our Fish and Wildlife officials.

If you agree with introducing the new weighted system Press here :

If you think we need to keep the system as is, Press here:
Old 02-16-2023, 08:48 AM

I’m not sure if it’s just me but there is no polling options.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Try now?
Old 02-16-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I see em..
Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 AM

Yes good now.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Yes good now.
Perfect!
Old 02-16-2023, 08:59 AM

I would love to see the same draw system used in much of the lower 48 implemented up here. Too many draws that are unattainable up here now.
Was down in Nevada a couple months ago with a friend who was drawn for desert sheep on year 9. Without the weighted draw, it would have never happened.
And have a deadline to purchase the tag. If you don't buy it in that timeframe, it is redrawn
We could do so much better up here...just look south for guidance when it comes to wildlife management

Last edited by MountainTi; 02-16-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:00 AM

What about abolishing the “999” or priority only option. No fence sitters to drive up points. You either draw the tag and hunt it or don’t put it at all.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:05 AM

Changing the game now would sure sucked for those who have waited 10 yrs to get drawn based on their priority. Cleaning the slate would essentially turn it into a lottery where you see most would never win, while some would win multiple times.
The bison draw was like that. People applying for years without results while other would get it multiple times.

If you want to go to a lottery type draw, maybe what you need is; if you win your draw you cannot apply for at least 5 years and definitely no draw options for outfitters to give to out of province hunters .
Old 02-16-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Changing the game now would sure sucked for those who have waited 10 yrs to get drawn based on their priority. Cleaning the slate would essentially turn it into a lottery where you see most would never win, while some would win multiple times.
The bison draw was like that. People applying for years without results while other would get it multiple times.

If you want to go to a lottery type draw, maybe what you need is; if you win your draw you cannot apply for at least 5 years and definitely no draw options for outfitters to give to out of province hunters .
Why would you clean the slate? That 10 years priority is now squared. Name goes in 101 times vs. someone starting from scratch who's name goes in once.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
What about abolishing the “999” or priority only option. No fence sitters to drive up points. You either draw the tag and hunt it or don’t put it at all.
Why?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:

This is really not a lottery. People with highest priority points will still have a larger chance to draw than the person with just one point. Its like buying tickets; the more tickets you have, the higher your chances are.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I don’t see the issue with the 999 set up. If I 999 a draw because I know I will not be able to go. I am not taking away from anyone else. If I have been putting in a draw for moose for 10 yrs and this year I know I cannot hunt if I do win, 999 is a better option than flushing 10 yrs of priority. Or do I take a chance and put in anyway rather than risk my priority, I get my draw but cannot go. Then I have robbed someone else of a draw that might have had it if there was a 999 option.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:21 AM
Banned

How about no more nonres applicants for any draws that require more than a 3 priority?
How about any draw that requires more than a 7 priority be split into priority draws and lottery draws. 70/30 split??
How about restricting landowner tags to 20 % of total tags for the wmu, or better yet have landowner tags be non trophy only?
How about re opening the Griz bear season to at least similar to the goat draw?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Why would you clean the slate? That 10 years priority is now squared. Name goes in 101 times vs. someone starting from scratch who's name goes in once.
If they were to change the draw system they would very likely start everyone back to zero is what I expect would happen.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:23 AM

Default Point creep sucks

Would love to see a weighted system for certain tags
Old 02-16-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don’t see the issue with the 999 set up. If I 999 a draw because I know I will not be able to go. I am not taking away from anyone else. If I have been putting in a draw for moose for 10 yrs and this year I know I cannot hunt if I do win, 999 is a better option than flushing 10 yrs of priority. Or do I take a chance and put in anyway rather than risk my priority, I get my draw but cannot go. Then I have robbed someone else of a draw that might have had it if there was a 999 option.
What if you don’t apply at all for certain draws if you think you cannot or do not want to hunt those species any particular year? Your priority would not change, so if you had 10 points, you would still have 10 the year after, but not 11. Why would it flush?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:30 AM

A little more info on the system (or a link where I could read about it) would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
There is always the option of not putting in at all on the years you can’t hunt. You don’t lose your priority.

999 increases helps to increase point creep.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
A little more info on the system (or a link where I could read about it) would be helpful.

Thanks.
google nevada or montana fish and game draws
Old 02-16-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
If they were to change the draw system they would very likely start everyone back to zero is what I expect would happen.
No reason to do that at all. Would be a dirty trick if they did though, but again, no reason to
Old 02-16-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
There is always the option of not putting in at all on the years you can’t hunt. You don’t lose your priority.

999 increases helps to increase point creep.
If you don’t have enough priority to draw the tag it doesn’t really matter if you apply for the draw or 999 it because you won’t be drawn and increase priority with both options. You just have to apply for a draw for that species/sex that is unattainable to keep building priority without 999

999 has very little impact on the system and would likely have almost no impact if removed do to the ability to just apply for unattainable tags to build priority

Now if you took away 999 and only built priority for the WMU you applied for vs the present method where you basically build priority for that species/sex for all of Alberta then you might be onto something

Removing non residents from the draw pool is something I would really prefer to see

Back to the poll options in the end the system needs to change to improve weight times and I think the weighted system would be an improvement
Old 02-16-2023, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
How about no more nonres applicants for any draws that require more than a 3 priority?
How about any draw that requires more than a 7 priority be split into priority draws and lottery draws. 70/30 split??
How about restricting landowner tags to 20 % of total tags for the wmu, or better yet have landowner tags be non trophy only?
How about re opening the Griz bear season to at least similar to the goat draw?
Leave the landowners alone, hunter/landowner relations are already bad enough.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
How does waiting until I am confident I’ll be able to have time to set aside and properly hunt a tag equate to fence sitting?

I’m a 6 for Antlered moose, I’ll probably use that priority in a zone that requires 3 points to get get drawn. Is it better if I put in for a draw every year, get drawn twice in that span and not use the tag?

It’s Alberta, not everyone works at the bank. People work odd schedules, shifts change, projects start, and end. Some people have a hard time getting time off. Don’t force them into drawing tags they can’t use. And saying, “If they don’t buy the tag, redraw it.” They can afford to buy the tag, and possibly go. They can afford to buy it, and waste it.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
As we all know, in Alberta, our draw priority system allows the tags to go to the folks with the maximum priority points. This is not a favorable system for folks who are just starting to get in to the draws for the first time and it actually discourages them. The correct approach in my opinion is the "weighted" system which allows the folks with even one priority point to draw a coveted tag. This system is used in almost all the States in the lower 48 (Idaho and a couple other are exceptions) with great success. Montana probably has the best system as each year you don't draw, your points get squared going forward.

I am therefore setting up a poll to see what folks think about proposing this as a group to our Fish and Wildlife officials.

If you agree with introducing the new weighted system Press here :

If you think we need to keep the system as is, Press here:
Once again a proposal so the younger generation doesn't have to put their time in, just jump to the front without EARNING IT.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:19 AM

I think the system should be changed a bit. 80% of tags for the current system and 20% go to a random draw.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeflyer View Post
Once again a proposal so the younger generation doesn't have to put their time in, just jump to the front without EARNING IT.
How so? Priority can be kept with the implementation of a new system.
The idea of a weighted system is for coveted tags. Not for a doe tag
Old 02-16-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
how about no more nonres applicants for any draws that require more than a 3 priority?
How about re opening the griz bear season to at least similar to the goat draw?
exactly
Old 02-16-2023, 10:32 AM

The biggest change I would like to see is the removal of non residents from the draw system or at the very least have a small pool that they can partake in, as it stands no someone from Saskatchewan or BC can draw a moose tag with the same priority as a resident, it would probably cut 2 years off a residents wait time without the non residents applications.

I like the priority only draw as you can get your priority up then decide when and where you want to pull your tag, as a resident that's a good thing.

Non resident wolf / coyote license should only be issued to non residents after they have purchased a wildlife cert. and a non res big game tag.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
This will have zero affect as has been discussed many times before