Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Default I hate barbed hooks

I was out ice fishing with a new fishing buddy going after walleye and things were slow so I decided to hop on my quad and try out some different areas. When I returned he had rigged up a tip up of mine and a pike grabbed it shortly after, when I pulled the pike up I noticed that the treble was barbed. I had a bugger of a time getting those stupid barbs out. barbless are so so much better. Yes I gave him a slap on the noodle and no I did not report him.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM

I hate the barbed hook law
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM

"I hate the barbed hook law"

I agree. I do not believe that fishing barbless will improve fish mortality rates anymore than when using a barbed hook.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Did you hear that......?

......sounded like a can of worms......

LC
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post

I agree. I do not believe that fishing barbless will improve fish mortality rates anymore than when using a barbed hook.
reread posters story......... duh.....
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I hate the barbed hook law
[ ] Is serious
[x] Sarcasm

Quote:

[ ] Picked up on the sarcasm
[x] Will get flamed for the above statement

Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
[ ] Is serious
[x] Sarcasm

[ ] Picked up on the sarcasm
[x] Will get flamed for the above statement

Actually serious, but that is no secret with me.
No scientific evidence to support it.
Bait ban would have made more sense.
Useless law. No basis. Not a popular law.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:

yes, because ripping and twisting the hooks out with a lot of force couldn't possibly damage the fishes mouth or gills. In fact, it's exactly the same as a barbless hook. A barbed hook slides out of the mouth soooo easily....SARCASM ALERT!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

not only is barbless bettr for the fish,its more of a challenge to catch them... barbs are for babies
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

I can see the horse coming out soon ......
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishslayer420 View Post
not only is barbless bettr for the fish,its more of a challenge to catch them... barbs are for babies
X2.. I agree!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:04 PM

I hate treble hooks. It's even much lamer than single barb hook.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM

Default more crap

Alberta manages the people not the resourse. Thanks Ralph.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Default Clever response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Alberta manages the people not the resourse. Thanks Ralph.
...to an issue that has nothing what-so-ever to do with a past great leader of the province and every thing to do with ethical sportsmanship.

I, and others, have fished barbless for decades; BC went barbless and I caught salmon in the Queen Charlottes, as it was called then, on barbless teaspoon spinners or single hook roe bag/slip float fishing. Big salmon. In rivers, not off shore.

Alberta soon went to barbless (too bad about not going single barbless) and nothing changed, except I had to go through my whole tackle box and mash down the barbs on the balance of my lures.

Saskatchewan demands barbless in all catch and release waters, including slot size waters like the Saskatchewan River where the Vanity Cup is held. Imagine 160 boats with some touring pros and many semi-pros (pardon the pun) catching 10-16 pound walleyes on 6 lb line and size 12 barbless hooks. I have done it myself; last September I hooked onto more than a few trophy walleyes using 6lb fluoro and a single barbless #12 octopus hook, a leech and a borrowed super light rod/reel that was rigged for a right hander. I am a lefty and had to quickly learn to go "goofy-hand" to fight the fishes. Barbless tiny hook using a technique never tried before and feeling like a rock star because I did it! No whining about small tackle and light gear or any blaming of the government of the distant past for putting me in that situation!

There's the science. An actual laboratory experiment that worked as advertised, done by a qualified technician in a controlled environment that proves hands down that barbless works. Not to mention that since my first encounter with the new rule I had to mash the barbs on one small box of lures. Now I have three big boxes and several bags full of trays. I routinely tie 100 spinner rigs/ lindy rigs per season and not one barb in the mix.

More science. The kids that fish with us do not know the difference as they have never fished with a barbed hook, and manage as well as the next kid in learning how to land fish. We also teach patience and sportsmanship.
We rarely fish with people who think they are exempt from rules and when we do, we make a few subtle changes in their attitude or we put them ashore.

Get off your whinyhorse and give it an honest try. But do not evoke the name of Ralph Klein, or anybody else for that matter, in your pathetic attempt to blame someone else for your failings.

Free (to agree with the OP)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
...to an issue that has nothing what-so-ever to do with a past great leader of the province and every thing to do with ethical sportsmanship.

I, and others, have fished barbless for decades; BC went barbless and I caught salmon in the Queen Charlottes, as it was called then, on barbless teaspoon spinners or single hook roe bag/slip float fishing. Big salmon. In rivers, not off shore.

Alberta soon went to barbless (too bad about not going single barbless) and nothing changed, except I had to go through my whole tackle box and mash down the barbs on the balance of my lures.

Saskatchewan demands barbless in all catch and release waters, including slot size waters like the Saskatchewan River where the Vanity Cup is held. Imagine 160 boats with some touring pros and many semi-pros (pardon the pun) catching 10-16 pound walleyes on 6 lb line and size 12 barbless hooks. I have done it myself; last September I hooked onto more than a few trophy walleyes using 6lb fluoro and a single barbless #12 octopus hook, a leech and a borrowed super light rod/reel that was rigged for a right hander. I am a lefty and had to quickly learn to go "goofy-hand" to fight the fishes. Barbless tiny hook using a technique never tried before and feeling like a rock star because I did it! No whining about small tackle and light gear or any blaming of the government of the distant past for putting me in that situation!

There's the science. An actual laboratory experiment that worked as advertised, done by a qualified technician in a controlled environment that proves hands down that barbless works. Not to mention that since my first encounter with the new rule I had to mash the barbs on one small box of lures. Now I have three big boxes and several bags full of trays. I routinely tie 100 spinner rigs/ lindy rigs per season and not one barb in the mix.

More science. The kids that fish with us do not know the difference as they have never fished with a barbed hook, and manage as well as the next kid in learning how to land fish. We also teach patience and sportsmanship.
We rarely fish with people who think they are exempt from rules and when we do, we make a few subtle changes in their attitude or we put them ashore.

Get off your whinyhorse and give it an honest try. But do not evoke the name of Ralph Klein, or anybody else for that matter, in your pathetic attempt to blame someone else for your failings.

What you have posted is hardly "science", in fact actually hardly worth reading(a little insulting but then I look at the source).

I fish barbless, it is the law(albeit a useless one).

Klein screwed up - get over it!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:

so in your opinion the many thousands(millions?) of anglers who fished from the beginning of time until the barbless rule were totally unethical? and every fisherperson who doesnt live where barbless hooks are the law are unethical.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

Default To the pike meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
so in your opinion the many thousands(millions?) of anglers who fished from the beginning of time until the barbless rule were totally unethical? and every fisherperson who doesnt live where barbless hooks are the law are unethical.
Took you a while Mr. Christie, but you were finally, after two years, able to Troll me. That's patience.

Free
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
...to an issue
....I, and others, have fished barbless for decades....
Alberta soon went to barbless.....Saskatchewan demands barbless....I have done it myself; last September I hooked onto more than a few trophy walleyes...feeling like a rock star because I did it!
There's the science....More science....We rarely fish with people who think they are exempt from rules....in your pathetic attempt to blame someone else for your failings.
What the hell was that...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Cought myself on a barbed trebble (new lure, never used) in a crammed tackle box. Took a while to push it through the frozen finger and cut the barb with left hand. No more debarbing when I need it for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM

From my personal experience, the few times I used barbed trebles, they wound up making a large mess of the fish and were a real pain to pull out. Whenever using trebles now, I cut one of the points off of the treble and with no barbs, I have found that it is day and night easier to pull the hook out of the fishe's mouth and doesn't make such a mess of the fish either.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM

I have fished Ontario almost my whole life but was born in Alberta,I have seen people mangle mouths and gills apart especially on big muskie and pike as many parts of Ontario have no restrictions on barbed hooks.It is no question in my mind that barbless hooks improve mortality rates and just make handling and removing hooks easier, its common sense, you would know if you had gotten used to fishing barbed and then to switch to barbless as i have done beacause i just moved back to Alberta.It makes it more interesting and a little more of a challenge just keep the pressure and youll keep those hooks deep enough with a decent hook set and go with the strongest line possible for your application and species youre fishing,thats my philosophy take it or leave it good luck fellas !
Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

Barb-less is hooks is the best way to go. Well here is what I think,

I think barbed hooks should be aloud on NON-Baited LURES, I.E Rapalas, Jigs and spoons and so on.

When it comes to baited jigs or baited hooks... They should be BARB-LESS because the fish hit and often time will swallow the hook and then its a mess to UN-hook a barbed hook from the throat of the fish. Barb-less its easy to UN hook.
Also helping the fish live better!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 PM
pelada trochu

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_search_of_a_monster View Post
I have fished Ontario almost my whole life but was born in Alberta,I have seen people mangle mouths and gills apart especially on big muskie and pike as many parts of Ontario have no restrictions on barbed hooks.It is no question in my mind that barbless hooks improve mortality rates and just make handling and removing hooks easier, its common sense, you would know if you had gotten used to fishing barbed and then to switch to barbless as i have done beacause i just moved back to Alberta.It makes it more interesting and a little more of a challenge just keep the pressure and youll keep those hooks deep enough with a decent hook set and go with the strongest line possible [/COLOR]for your application and species youre fishing,thats my philosophy take it or leave it good luck fellas !
when i tried the braid i lost alot of pike as i have no spring effect to hold that hook in there. with mono or fluoro you can have 2 or 3 feet of stretch to create a spring and hold the hook in. with no stretch the heavy braids can create a violent hookset. not against braid but your line should match your rods, stiffer and mono, softer and braid.

dont fish 2lb walleye with your medium heavy rod set with 30lb braid, its not fun, it rips the lips off the fish and you loose them alot due to lack of spring effect.

this isnt meant for anyone in particular its just knowledge to try and educate the newbies when they are picking up their first rod and reel and hear that 30 lb braid will catch everything from perch right up to muskie.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
I was out ice fishing with a new fishing buddy going after walleye and things were slow so I decided to hop on my quad and try out some different areas. When I returned he had rigged up a tip up of mine and a pike grabbed it shortly after, when I pulled the pike up I noticed that the treble was barbed. I had a bugger of a time getting those stupid barbs out. barbless are so so much better. Yes I gave him a slap on the noodle and no I did not report him.
I hate barbs as well. It's always nice to loose a 10lb rainbow near the boat