Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 12:31 AM

Default Underwater camera

So I've had an underwater fishing camera for several years and have used it with some success. It came with a carry case, about 18x12x8, 60m meters of cable and a camera with a 7" monitor. Well this weekend I went to use it I couldn't get it to turn on. So I think the monitor died and it has the camera plugs on it so I'm guessing its time for a new one.
I only use it once or twice a year so I'd like to budget under $200.
I've seen a couple on Amazon that look like you can actually attach it to your rod but I'm pretty sure that's not a good idea.
What has everybody bought and used? I don't want to spend a lot but I think it's really cool to be able to check and see what's down there to see if its worth hanging around for a while to see if they're biting.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:58 AM

For a cheap underwater camera I'm really happy with the Eyoyo that I picked up on Amazon. Good picture and color and decent battery life for about $160
https://www.amazon.ca/Eyoyo-Portable...70_&dpSrc=srch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyoyo1.jpg (21.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg eyoyo2.jpg (23.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM

I find the underwater cameras to be most useful when ice fishing as they can be held steady then. In open water season you really need the lake to be calm in order to not get sick watching the monitor, and you need good water clarity, which can be tougher to find in the summer on many Alberta lakes.

I use a Marcum 485 as my underwater camera and it is great. It makes ice fishing much more enjoyable for my wife and kids as they can see things going on down there that keep them interested. I like it to see bottom structure and composition mostly. Once I'm on the structure I am looking for I will use a flasher to move hole to hole.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Are you sure you just don't need a new battery?

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 09-04-2018, 02:30 PM

I have a Water Wolf and it the images i get back are awesome. It is a record and view later (although if you have an android phone with a micro SD slot you can view on your phone within minutes of retrieval) but if trolling is your thing it great. I haven't tried casting or suspended under a float but it should work fine in these applications.

I used it in BC when targeting kokanee and seeing that fish were constantly following by dodger/lure combo told me that i was close and a minor scent and leader length tune put me into limits.

I tried it blading for walleye on the weekend, the amount of activity shown my rig was eye opening. Minor tweeks and into fish.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
I have a Water Wolf and it the images i get back are awesome. It is a record and view later (although if you have an android phone with a micro SD slot you can view on your phone within minutes of retrieval) but if trolling is your thing it great. I haven't tried casting or suspended under a float but it should work fine in these applications.

I used it in BC when targeting kokanee and seeing that fish were constantly following by dodger/lure combo told me that i was close and a minor scent and leader length tune put me into limits.

I tried it blading for walleye on the weekend, the amount of activity shown my rig was eye opening. Minor tweeks and into fish.
Upload some videos!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Upload some videos!
Yes, my thoughts exactly!
Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 AM

Good news. I took the monitor apart and there was a blown fuse inside of it. I jumpered it and its working again. Just need to solder a new fuse in and its working again. ...Until it blows again or I just decide I need a newer one. Thanks for posting and I'd still love to see anybody's underwater video, pictures or tips.
Thanks in advance.