Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Anyone hunt with winchester white box ammo?

Winchester white box 240 grain jsp shoots great out of my 44 mag, anyone use it for huntin? Like deer,bear and moose?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:41 AM

Default W Wt box

It will be fine.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:38 PM

.44mag wouldn't be my caliber of choice for hunting moose or bear. Not saying it can't kill em, but I wouldn't feel as confident.

I know with bear a lot of people (when baiting) use 300gr hard cast ammo. The JSP doesn't get enough penetration.

Again, I would do lots of reading. The .44mag doesn't have the stopping power a lot of people think it does.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 PM

I've been curious to try this myself as I have a little Rossi .44 that I wouldn't mind taking hunting sometime. I've always wondered if regular factory ammo would "open up" a bit quick out of a rifle because of the extra velocity. Like CF8889 said, I'm sure it would kill larger animals, but with factory ammo, I wonder how it would work.

I've been loading some hard cast loads, which are probably better for larger game from the penetration standpoint. I'll be watching your thread for other's opinions too.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:02 PM

Probably should mention that is a 20" barrel lever action.

Anyone have any other suggestions on ammubtion to use?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Default Facts

WW 240 gr JSP factory specs

Notched Design
Solid Nose Design
1180 fps muzzle velocity (six inch barrel)
1081 fps at 50 yards
741 muzzle energy
623 ft/lbs at 50 yards
Use for Big Game with Thin Skin like Whitetail and Mule Deer, Antelope, and Black Bear

With significantly longer barrels than revolvers, carbines will generate a significantly higher velocity than a revolver loaded with the same ammunition.[18] Tests with various ammunition in the Ruger Deerfield yielded a 100 yards (91 m) velocity of over 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) with a 240-grain (16 g) bullet, comparable to the muzzle velocity out of a revolver.[19][20] Loads using slow burning powders maximize performance in both short and long barrels, with one published load generating 1,500 ft/s (460 m/s) from a revolver, and 1,625 ft/s (495 m/s) from a carbine with a 240-grain (16 g) bullet.[21]

I happen to know it kills Moose at 70 yards too. Not my first choice for Moose but it works.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:23 PM

.44mag can get the job done. But the hunter needs to factor in the calibers limits. I don't have the tables in front of me, but I'd bet a 270 has close to double the velocity a .44mag riffle would. And significantly more at ranges past 100yards. Bullet choice will also be crucial. If you tag a bear in the shoulder at 125yards, what will the bullet do? How accurate are you with it? I had a Rossi .44 that was a blast to shoot, but from a field position after hiking all day, I'm not confident I could have accurately placed a shot like I would with my Winchester Model 70. Is it your only option? Or do you have 30-06 in the gun locker and you are just looking to change it up a bit.

I wouldn't hesitate to take deer in close with it. But for bigger tougher animals (a bear can run a far distance even when hit with a good penitrating bullet) I'd preferably stick to a faster moving bullet. That said, learn confidentiality and keeping these factors in mind, you can be successful.

1) what is you max distance for accuracy and bullet penitration
2) what bullet is best for which animal (hard cast for bear, JSP for deer?)
3) where to aim on each animal (don't think I'd aim for shoulders on a bear like lots of people do with more power riffles)
4) how confident are you in hunting with this riffle (do you have years of experience getting up close with a bow, or do you usually take 300yard shots from beside a truck).

With the right amount of research and preparation, it could be a real exciting riffle to hunt with. But I also wouldn't want someone to lose their first moose cause it was outside of the riffles range/abilities.

Keep us posted. I'm interested to see what you find.

Ps.. I miss that Rossi haha