Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 09:17 AM

Default Didn't I mount this Buck already?

Got a decent buck last week sitting on a burn pile (I was on the pile not the deer). He came trotting out of the bush with a smaller buck and 4 does straight at me from 250 to 70 when he swung around my particular pile moving between the logs offering fleeting opportunities. The borrowed 270 went BLOUCH and he crashed headlong into another pile. Tagged him and waited as few hours hoping for an elk but nothing but a pair of nice mule deer who circled each other snort wheezing in the dark. As my buddy and I field dressed him by the running truck a see a shadow in the dark and a Mulie buck had walked 700 yards across the field to 30 feet with no f**** given. Scored 131 and looks near identical to my biggest buck to date. Same color, height, width. Bookend Euro mounts? Gotta say, burn piles seem to make you near invisible to deer. Over a couple days I had a dozen deer within 80 yards or so and experiment with what they could see or hear but they would almost immediately forget about the sound or motion from the pile. Way better camouflage than a blind. Only time I got busted was by a doe who circled down wind and blew out taking a much much larger buck with her (160+) who hadn't yet offered me a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoPictureResizer_191203_092056725_crop_800x600.jpg (82.6 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by Jays toyz; 12-03-2019 at 09:22 AM.