Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2023, 11:39 AM

Default Outboard engine tilt

I have a question on how am I going to get my engine back up to the lock position for transport. I have an HPDI 150 2 stroke Yamaha. It's kinda heavy, real heavy. One of my hydraulic tilt cylinders leaked enough fluid out that it will not tilt up anymore. It went up maybe 6-10 inch when I was winterizing it. I did talk to a mechanic and he said to loosen off a screw on the side to release the pressure and it went down all the way. That's the way it stays for the winter no choice. It is covered with two tops for outside storage and lots of snow on it. Waiting for thaw. Any ideas how to get the engine back to transport position? Will I need at least 4 big hairy butt guys to try and manually lift? LOL Once into transport position I will take it in and have all cylinders done.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:07 PM

Maybe you could top it off yourself? At least it might get you into a position where you can lock and travel again:

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/ma...d-tilt-system/
Old 03-09-2023, 12:08 PM

I would try filling the reservoir and then try it.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:06 PM

Stinky Buffalo... "Maybe you could top it off yourself? At least it might get you into a position where you can lock and travel again":

Thanks and I did check out the website. I would try that but I need to get the leg out of the way to do that. Big heavy engine. Good thing it didn't happen out at the lake. So I guess it's a couple of good strong friends to lift and a couple beers as payment to start. That would be a temporary fix if could get at it.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:32 PM

Default outboard tilt

You could try disconnecting the hydraulic tilt it may be easier to lift
Old 03-09-2023, 02:43 PM

If you’re just lifting it up for transport, crack that screw again and lift on the skeg with two average strength guys and it won’t be that difficult. A couple months ago I had to do that for a guy at the ramp with an older 200 optimax, it wasn’t much of a lift. I presume you have a transom saver of some sort to support it?
Old 03-09-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Stinky Buffalo... "Maybe you could top it off yourself? At least it might get you into a position where you can lock and travel again":

Thanks and I did check out the website. I would try that but I need to get the leg out of the way to do that. Big heavy engine. Good thing it didn't happen out at the lake. So I guess it's a couple of good strong friends to lift and a couple beers as payment to start. That would be a temporary fix if could get at it.
Once I put blocks under the skeg and then raised the front of my trailer to tilt the boat back, which raised the back of the motor.

To get it completely up it may require re-setting your blocks (tying it off securely when re-blocking) and tackling it bit by bit but it should work.

I suppose I could have used a Hi-Lift jack as well, now that I think of it!
Old 03-09-2023, 04:04 PM

I would just set up a tri-pod made out of what ever you have there and buy a small come along winch and lift and block as needed. Fairly simple and done by yourself.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:32 PM

Loosen the screw off again, grab it by the skeg and tilt it up. One guy can do it.

Did it on our old Johnson V6 150, was not that hard.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:41 PM

As a few other said, as long as the cylinder is cracked loose, it should allow air in there and should be easy to lift. If you don't crack the bolt/head screw loose you will be fighting vacuum/back pressure (not sure if that's the right term) but you know what I mean.

I'd place a 2x4 under the engine resting on the yoke/block and let it down so it stays.

Myself I use a M-Y Wedge that slips (securely sleeves) over the tilt cylinder bars and you lower the motor back down onto the rubber pad. Nice shock absorption unlike the typical yoke up and off the trailer which has zero shock absorption and hammers every bump of the trailer onto your engine. Also take exactly 3 second to put on a 3 seconds to remove instead of crawling around under the boat.

https://m-ywedge.com/
Old 03-10-2023, 05:11 PM

Thanks alot for all the input for sure. Really appreciate the suggestions and help. Was thinking if I had a portable engine hoist it would work.

Coiloil37: No I do not have a transom saver it stays up with the latch that it came with on the side, almost fully up. I checked out one that I thought would have been great (can't remember name or make) but did not ship to Canada from the USA. I do believe it went on the main cylinder and the two side ones. They also advertised it was for Yamaha's

JohninAB: Maybe I didn't loosen the screw off enough but I did try and could only move it about 3-4 inches. Not as young as I use to be LOL

Sledhead71: I do have some 4x4's and 2x4's. Could possibly try that. Would have to get a come along

EZM: I really like that setup to absorb the shock of the road travels. When I get this problem fixed or better yet maybe order one to put on after the fix. I will look it up to see if they have different sizes for engine types and sizes.

Again thanks all for the help. I have some time to let the snow melt. My first trip is the second week of June to Revelstoke for some Kokanee, Rainbow and Bull Trout. Would still like to get out at least a week before that to check all operations and electronics in my boat as I usually do.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:55 AM

Please bring on the thaw and keep it going!!!!! 2 more weeks and my boat will not have any snow or ice on it. Sorry ice fishers, but your time is limited now. Hope you all had a good season. My time coming up . Going to try all the advice presented.