Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2023, 03:36 PM

Default Extended fishing into April

March madness what a joke might as well go along with the fish calendar telling you that on full moons and new moons fishing is the best. Just a brutal 2 months and only days left. In favour of extended Alberta fishing season since weather is still in the minus conditions, sure would be nice to have another 15 days. Thoughts!!?
Old 03-28-2023, 03:58 PM

I agree but disagree as well. I would love to fish into April but I am only responsible for myself and using logic when targeting species. Other people however would be directly targeting fish that are getting ready to spawn. They would also be fishing directly where the fish want to spawn.

If you were able to control 100% of fisherman, you could fish all year round really. Rules are in place to protect and control the general population.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:26 PM

Definitely slower in March for me too, however my last outing on Sylvan Lake produced a ton of whitefish. Lots of people catching burbot too (can't keep since they're currently spawning).

Keep in mind that all non-listed lakes in the regs are open year round in all regions except the Northern Boreal ones (NB1-NB4). If you really want to fish year round, there are opportunities.

In general I agree though, that the spawning fish should be given a chance to focus their energy on spawning. Not to mention iffy ice conditions in April.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
March madness what a joke might as well go along with the fish calendar telling you that on full moons and new moons fishing is the best. Just a brutal 2 months and only days left. In favour of extended Alberta fishing season since weather is still in the minus conditions, sure would be nice to have another 15 days. Thoughts!!?
Lots of fishing opportunities in Northern Manitoba if you're into lake trout That season goes all of April not sure about walleye
Old 03-28-2023, 05:52 PM

As depressing as it is to be putting the sleds away this guys ready to hit the creeks with a fly rod already.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:17 PM

Has anyone been up the winter road to Fort Chip this winter or lately.?
Old 03-28-2023, 06:21 PM

Stocked trout lakes are open year round. Not all walleye lakes close either, although the ones that remain open are few and far between. You can also fish for lakers in Alberta in April. You just can't keep them. It's all in the regs.

Anyone who's ever fished for walleyes during their spawn should be 100% in favor of the closures.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Stocked trout lakes are open year round. Not all walleye lakes close either, although the ones that remain open are few and far between. You can also fish for lakers in Alberta in April. You just can't keep them. It's all in the regs.

Anyone who's ever fished for walleyes during their spawn should be 100% in favor of the closures.
Where exactly in the regs does it say you cannot keep lake trout in April if fishing in a water body that is open year round?
Old 03-28-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
As depressing as it is to be putting the sleds away this guys ready to hit the creeks with a fly rod already.
Agreed. I'm already making plans at least for a scouting trip, but the gear is always in the truck.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Where exactly in the regs does it say you cannot keep lake trout in April if fishing in a water body that is open year round?
I could just tell you, but I know you haven't even looked. To be clear, this is one lake I am referring to.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
First take the calendar/books, magazine articles etc and toss’em

March for us has been a blast but we go out for the adventure from start to finish and yes we have had extremely productive days and then the grind if your basing a trip solely on catching but still managed to catch just not as crazy a bite.

Check the Alberta regs for your target species and go from there.

Now I am going to eyeball the calendar and laugh at how many fish symbols are on it....calendar indicated bad fishing day....we iced five in ten minutes...never got the dead sticks down once for an hour....go figure.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2023, 08:51 AM

March has been good to me. They don't bite all day long, a guys gotta be in the right spot and at the right time. Morning bite has been wicked, makes for an early rise tho.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:10 AM

Banner year for me with easy travel and lots of ice. Zero complaints here.

Fished Pigeon last night and caught at least 45 walleye. It was drop and catch and could not keep two lines down. It was actually exhausting to catch that many in a span of 2 hours. Right place and time...
Old 03-29-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Banner year for me with easy travel and lots of ice. Zero complaints here.

Fished Pigeon last night and caught at least 45 walleye. It was drop and catch and could not keep two lines down. It was actually exhausting to catch that many in a span of 2 hours. Right place and time...
Now that’s a great day. Are you sure this isn’t from last May? Lol. I’ve had some good days on the ice out there but this makes those look crappy. Happy to see ya having good luck. I will be out there on Friday all day to end the season and have fun catching walleye and enjoying the weather. Best of luck to you if ya get out again.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:32 PM

I dunno my march was pretty awesome....right on par with most years.

Looking forward to the closure down time to service the boats and get ready for ice out.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Now that’s a great day. Are you sure this isn’t from last May? Lol. I’ve had some good days on the ice out there but this makes those look crappy. Happy to see ya having good luck. I will be out there on Friday all day to end the season and have fun catching walleye and enjoying the weather. Best of luck to you if ya get out again.
Yeah, that was the best walleye fishing I've had ice fishing ever. It reminded me of drop and catch like Calling lake in June. It was my last trip of the year...to central
Pigeon was very good to me this year on all fronts. Including whitefish

There are trout lakes open all year so I'll be hitting some of those in April yet. Especially to the West in the foot hills.

Have a great day out! May you get even more!
Old 03-29-2023, 05:16 PM

Ice can stay on the lakes till end of April if it wants. I just need it off my boat, so I can lift my motor by hand and get the hydraulic lift cylinder fixed. Damn seal leak. Almost seems like ice fishers get more time on the Alberta lakes than the soft water ones.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I could just tell you, but I know you haven't even looked. To be clear, this is one lake I am referring to.
Actually I did look. Hence the question "where exactly". Trying to read the tables with old eyes is a chore. After flipping through pages in the hard copy I see you were referring to Peerless Lake.....in case anyone else was wondering.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:56 PM

Back to OP question. Not in favor of extending the season. That said there is still lots of opportunity.
I have walked on local potholes for trout until the middle of April some years. Check the regs or Mitchell's fishing guide for lakes that have both perch and trout. They are generally still open and the perch might be in as little as 1 foot of water (under the ice).

Most stocked trout lakes will produce good bites with bigger fish caught the first week of March. Dead stick minnows or frozen shrimp under a jawjacker. Best the hour before sunrise or hour after.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 03-29-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Actually I did look. Hence the question "where exactly". Trying to read the tables with old eyes is a chore. After flipping through pages in the hard copy I see you were referring to Peerless Lake.....in case anyone else was wondering.
Yes it is Peerless, and I apologize if I came off rude. My eyes don't work the best anymore either, so I feel your pain.

Some lakes in the province just have flat out weird regulations. Case in point my home waters of Sturgeon Lake in ES4. Check out the gobbledygook on that lake if you want a headache...