Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 08:54 PM

Default Guided fly fishing trip Bow River

My birthday just passed last week and my lovey wife got me a day on the Bow flyfishing. I do enjoy fishing, as some know we bought our first boat last summer and survived.
Now neither of us have used a fly rod but will do some lesson prior. My question is: what is the best time to go? And I have a couple choices of location. Through Calgary, or outside of Calgary. Any preference?
Thanks for any help, I’m super stoked.

Tullfan
Old 03-25-2023, 10:52 PM

Lots of the river guides launch at Policeman's Flats which is 1/2 mile downstream from city limits. Float & row as far as Carseland dam. That stretch of river, while pressured hard, can have some of the best fishing imaginable.

Inside the city, not as much food source.

Below Carseland, similar circumstances.

River is good just before high water, but the guides really get rolling when the water starts to recede. Have fun, it's a great day spent!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-26-2023, 04:04 AM

just to add to roper1's post, one of the best times to fish the Bow is right around Stampede time. Generally speaking, runoff will just be ending, clarity will be increasing and flows decreasing. The fish will be hungry from fighting the current and trying to feed during the prior weeks.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:54 AM

Default Flyfishing

As an ex guide, if you have never flyfished. I would make sure you gets lots of casting practice in a schoolyard or field prior to going onto the river, otherwise you are just wasting the trip. And stampede time is a great time, the river is post runoff but not low water and not too warm. lots of fish, but not the place to try to learn how to flycast when standing in a moving boat trying to hit a seam with a weights nymph combo on your line.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:06 AM

From what I have heard, south of Calgary on the Bow is the place to be. South of 22x to Carsland. Ya they recommend fly fishing but is it necessary? I have fished the Bow as it comes into Ghost res., Bearspaw (still part of the Bow) Below Bearspaw to the weir in Calgary (known now as the Harvie Passage), from the weir to 22x. Always a great time and always caught fish. Spinning rig only. I do have my own setup where I can use a fly with a torpedo bobber and at least a 6ft tippet and add a fly. One cast and done. Not a cast, cast ,cast and cast. Never really got that down pat. That was at least 20 yr ago. From a canoe and an inflatable 4 man raft.

Last edited by barbless; 03-26-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daslogster View Post
As an ex guide, if you have never flyfished. I would make sure you gets lots of casting practice in a schoolyard or field prior to going onto the river, otherwise you are just wasting the trip. And stampede time is a great time, the river is post runoff but not low water and not too warm. lots of fish, but not the place to try to learn how to flycast when standing in a moving boat trying to hit a seam with a weights nymph combo on your line.
The fishing outfit just said show up, we’ll do the rest. They came highly recommended from a few different sources. Now, take that with a grain of salt. I’ll still do some practicing. I’d hate to waste a trip as you say. At the very least I could toss the fly side armed into a eddie, see what happens, lol. And for a beginner getting into it, If we catch fish that’s a bonus. I get to spend the day with my beautiful wife, in a boat, floating down the river. Wasting money as we enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the advice, I guess July it is.

Tullfan
Old 03-27-2023, 09:40 PM

Just after Stampede the water should be dropping and clearing. If you practice some casting it will help greatly with placing your flies in the right spot.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:09 PM

A good guide will teach you the basics of casting before you even get going down the river if your a beginner .If your nymphing they will just tell you to rainbow cast left side and right side of boat it’s very simple.Dry flys they will talk you through it and if they know your a beginner they will most certainly give you some quick casting lessons.They will help you the whole way for sure.I’m positive on that they aren’t going to let you go struggle the entire way when there the ones untying the knots and would love you to have a great time and do it again.I would certainly watch a couple of you tube vids on casting and try some park or river casting as practice or ask someone to help you out with the basics just for a little pre game.that’s just my two cents.certainly fish below the city especially in summer and if there’s spots available through your guide certainly do it when the stones are doing there thing.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
A good guide will teach you the basics of casting before you even get going down the river if your a beginner .If your nymphing they will just tell you to rainbow cast left side and right side of boat it’s very simple.Dry flys they will talk you through it and if they know your a beginner they will most certainly give you some quick casting lessons.They will help you the whole way for sure.I’m positive on that they aren’t going to let you go struggle the entire way when there the ones untying the knots and would love you to have a great time and do it again.I would certainly watch a couple of you tube vids on casting and try some park or river casting as practice or ask someone to help you out with the basics just for a little pre game.that’s just my two cents.certainly fish below the city especially in summer and if there’s spots available through your guide certainly do it when the stones are doing there thing.

Thank you, that is how we understood it also. On a side note, it might be a bit easier for my wife. As a side hustle she is a trick roper and whip cracker. I would suspect different motions, but similar rhythm and timing. Or not. Either way. We’ll get a bit of practice in.

Tullfan