Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2023, 07:39 AM

Default Fishfinder help

Recently bought a boat and looking for recommendations on a fish finder. Humminbird helix 7 seems to be well reviewed but I see cabelas has the garmin echomap uhd 75sv and 95sv on sale.

Are the garmins worth grabbing at that price? And is the only difference between the two the size of the screen?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:50 AM

I run Garmin, 95sv. Had it for 2 years now. Great unit. Added panoptic plus last year. Game changer. Had Lowrance HDS prior, still have it. Personally I don't like hummingbird, they let the technology slip away from them, then tried to catch up. Garmin is the leader in live imaging, hands down. If that isn't a big deal for you, it won't matter what unit you get.

My rule of thumb, always get the largest screen size you can afford. There is a significant difference when using live imaging, but if all you look for is depth, then size won't matter.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:39 AM

The answer is like asking who makes the best pickup truck. Everyone will have a different answer. Bird is usually to the party later with new tech. They always seem to let the other guys bring theirs out first then wait before launching their product. Keep in mind if you have a Minn Kota or planning 1 Bird can integrate with it. Most Birds other than a few at the top end all use buttons where many are now using touch screens. Some like and some do not and that is a preference thing. Buy at least a 7 inch screen so it is easier to see when using split screens. Buy whatever brand you feel good with and make sure you get gps, maps, mapping etc. with it and you will enjoy it even more. If you ice fish get the ice transducer and use it in the winter as well.