Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 10:23 AM

Default My late grandfather’s flies

We lost my Gramp in March of last year so we are just getting around to cleaning up all the treasures he’s accumulated over his 85 years… which you would think how all those things fit in that little house of theirs. All of his fly tying gear was left for me and my brother. We have split tons and tons of rods, reels, flies, and gear. I was hoping I could chat with someone in Edmonton area that has knowledge of fly fishing and which of the 1000’s of home made flies I have would be useful around these parts as he was living in Nova Scotia. I’m not a fly fisher but now have 0 reason to not try it out and indulge in my gramps favourite past time.. I have so many flies that I don’t even know where to start. If someone in the area knows anyone or anywhere I could bring some of these and have someone look them over that would be great. If none are useful around here I will surely keep them on display as they are years and years of his work.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:50 AM

Hopefully someone from the Edmonton area with chime in but I'm sure quite a few of the flies will be useful. I was fishing in Nova Scotia in September with a friend and the Brook Trout and Rainbows in the creeks there were happy with the same dry flies and nymphs that I used for Cutthroat and Rainbows in Alberta. There's no reason the reverse won't be true. Trout are trout. I also picked up some traditional steelhead/salmon flies from an estate sale a few years ago and have used a number of them successfully in stocked trout lakes in Manitoba and Southern Alberta to catch 16"+ Rainbow and Tiger Trout. You might be able to swap some of the salmon flies for some locally tied trout flies.

If you wanted to display a selection of flies, Michael's often has sales on their shadow boxes.

I hope you enjoy your fly fishing adventures!

Ken
Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 PM

First off, condolences to you and your family.

Secondly, I'd love to see pictures if you're willing to post.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:17 PM
Banned

My condolence, do you mind posting some pictures?
Old 01-25-2023, 02:36 PM

Thank you guys.
I would but I haven’t be able to figure out how to post pictures from my phone as I do not have a laptop.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:51 PM
Banned

Sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. Very cool to have his fishing collection though.

I would love to see some pics as well if you could figure it out. The shadow box mentioned above would be an awesome way to display some of the flys.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:45 AM

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather, I know words fall short. All of my grandparents are gone, but I was closest to my grandfathers...especially my mom's dad. He was an avid hunter/angler, I have his collection of hand-tied panfish poppers in a custom acrylic shadow box I made. It houses the large, wooden presentation box he'd made himself.

Re: flies-seems impossible there wouldn't be flies in there that would work well in AB, I might expect to see salmon flies if he was from NS...that would be a question mark using them in Alberta. (=effectiveness) I know warm water fish would likely have a go.

My opinion-even if this is the catalyst to get into fly fishing (=awesome!) and, if there is a desire to try and make them work, I might suggest you hold-off using flies that old with sentimental value unless/until you get a good understanding of fly fishing. Would be a shame to lose a pile of them before you get a handle on things, or, before you have a sense of when to tie one one/under what circumstances.

Rods/reels/lines=you didn't ask, but reading your thread starter...older fly gear "can" be a little harder to learn with especially if it's old fiberglass or even a commercially-made cane rod. Newer rods (even intro-level ones) might help you get there a little quicker. Once you understand the fundamentals and have some experience under your belt, you'll be better-equipped to gauge the usefulness of the old rods. They'll always hold sentimental value. Reels-harder to find one that WON'T work vs. one that will, so a clean-up/lube is usually all they need.

Happy to chime-in if I see any photos posted
Old 01-26-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Sorry for the loss of your grandfather, I know words fall short. All of my grandparents are gone, but I was closest to my grandfathers...especially my mom's dad. He was an avid hunter/angler, I have his collection of hand-tied panfish poppers in a custom acrylic shadow box I made. It houses the large, wooden presentation box he'd made himself.

Re: flies-seems impossible there wouldn't be flies in there that would work well in AB, I might expect to see salmon flies if he was from NS...that would be a question mark using them in Alberta. (=effectiveness) I know warm water fish would likely have a go.

My opinion-even if this is the catalyst to get into fly fishing (=awesome!) and, if there is a desire to try and make them work, I might suggest you hold-off using flies that old with sentimental value unless/until you get a good understanding of fly fishing. Would be a shame to lose a pile of them before you get a handle on things, or, before you have a sense of when to tie one one/under what circumstances.

Rods/reels/lines=you didn't ask, but reading your thread starter...older fly gear "can" be a little harder to learn with especially if it's old fiberglass or even a commercially-made cane rod. Newer rods (even intro-level ones) might help you get there a little quicker. Once you understand the fundamentals and have some experience under your belt, you'll be better-equipped to gauge the usefulness of the old rods. They'll always hold sentimental value. Reels-harder to find one that WON'T work vs. one that will, so a clean-up/lube is usually all they need.

Happy to chime-in if I see any photos posted
This is great advice for your inherited equipment and gear. You wouldn't want to break anything or loose gear that has great sentimental value to you alone.

You can get into fly fishing for a couple of hundred bucks, a rod reel all lined up from Cabela's ready to fish. Pick up a dozen fly's. The guys at the stores are good to get you going with fly's for where you want to fish.

BW
Old 01-26-2023, 12:23 PM

You could also talk to the people at the Trout Unlimited Canada – Northern Lights Fly Fishers Chapter

https://www.nlft.org/
Old 01-26-2023, 05:01 PM

Perhaps pick out a few flies that you know your grandfather personally tied. Preferably ones that are fashioned after a known 'named' pattern - and mount them nicely on a piece of cork in a shadow-box frame. Thin, half-round slices of wine-bottle corks glued to the back-board work well for mounts. Write the name of the fly pattern under each one, and your grand-dads name birth/death dates at the bottom - in pencil. It's a meaningful, respectful display that you'll be proud of.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This is great advice for your inherited equipment and gear. You wouldn't want to break anything or loose gear that has great sentimental value to you alone.

You can get into fly fishing for a couple of hundred bucks, a rod reel all lined up from Cabela's ready to fish. Pick up a dozen fly's. The guys at the stores are good to get you going with fly's for where you want to fish.

BW
Cabela's staff are useless there days.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:35 PM

Thanks for all the reply’s guys!
Absolutely will be saving a bunch of the flies he has tied and there are a few in there that I actually remember him tying while I was watching so those will never see water.
Definitely will be looking into the shadow box and the cork idea is a great one!
As for the rods and reels I have a bunch that are definitely on the older side and I will be displaying those as well but he had a bunch of I would assume fairly new.
There is a couple sage rods that have never been used and are only a few years old and also has some g loomis rods that I’ve check and are also fairly new.
Will definitely pick up some cheap flies as I’m starting out so I don’t lose any of his off the bat!
Old 01-27-2023, 04:45 PM

Definitely check out Northern Lights flytyers....meetings every Wednesday in Edmonton.

https://www.nlft.org/